Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH Strasbourg Power Failure - Page 6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH Strasbourg Power Failure

Comments

• Sounds like someone didn't save the running config in RBX..........

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Hosted exchange is still down

• There control panel is still broken, lots of services are not loaded. Login takes several retries before accepted.

• PirateHitmanPirateHitman Member
    edited November 2017

@mattwservices said:
    Sounds like someone didn't save the running config in RBX..........

Sounds it.... I've seen this happen so many times in my career which is ridiculous.

Lost power = lost config.

For a large hoster like OVH to do this... This is massive oversight and really shitty.

Thanked by 2vimalware WebDude
  • Well, it took me less time to migrate to netcup than for them to get the DC back online. I wish them all the best.

• @PirateHitman said:

@mattwservices said:
    Sounds like someone didn't save the running config in RBX..........

Sounds it.... I've seen this happen so many times in my career which is ridiculous.

Lost power = lost config.

For a large hoster like OVH to do this... This is massive oversight and really shitty.

The number of times I've seen this happen is unbelievable. Apparently typing wr is too difficult for a lot of people.

• jiggawattjiggawatt Member
    edited November 2017

The statement reads as if they had some Solution(TM) from some vendor that half-assedly automated what a network administrator would have done competently. Very OVH.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • When you have hundreds of devices to manage, usually noone manages them by hand, i.e. by typing config, saving it, etc. All the management is done by some centralized system which generates and uploads configs to the devices.

• CConnerCConner Member, Host Rep

Clouvider said: What are you talking about? They are recovering from the other screw up with the almost (entire?) network being affected. I don't see anyone claiming their servers in the DCs without power comping back up. This is a major job. Especially with many servers which will have broken arrays and drives after such incident.

To have ALL Clients back up will be an uphill battle. Anyone who experienced a full DC blackout in their career will know what I'm talking about.

D

It's nice to see that you care about other providers, but I think you should stick to your own business as this just looks like you trying to bring down a company to make yours look better. If your company is that good, you should not need such childish tactics.

Thanked by 4Frecyboy rm_ Hannan Ndha
  • rds100 said: When you have hundreds of devices to manage, usually noone manages them by hand, i.e. by typing config, saving it, etc. All the management is done by some centralized system which generates and uploads configs to the devices.

Of course. But this system didn't do it right - or at least they shift blame to it.

• hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider

rds100 said: When you have hundreds of devices to manage

It is 10s of thousands not hundreds !

• Im glad my server is in ovh poland

• @Dikobraz said:
    Yeah but it's ridiculous - more than 5 hours outage and NO ETA when it's coming back

I don't think that Amazon AWS faces these kind of problems

Then go to AWS and let your bill go up 500% in bandwidth costs alone :)

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

FAAAAAILOVER

Problem solved.

• @Neoon said:
    FAAAAAILOVER

I told you to stop calling me that in public!

• @Lunar said:

Then go to AWS and let your bill go up 500% in bandwidth costs alone :)

Hosted exchange is back up

Thanked by 1hostdare
  • @AnthonySmith said:
    Hosted exchange is back up

That's one thing I never expected you to type. Don't you run Exchange 5.5 internally?

• Still dozens of servers in "Service Mode" at SBG. Duh. Wondering how long this will take. I'll check the situation again in about three hours.

edited November 2017

CConner said: It's nice to see that you care about other providers, but I think you should stick to your own business as this just looks like you trying to bring down a company to make yours look better. If your company is that good, you should not need such childish tactics.

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/2458007/#Comment_2458007

:)

Common man, we all have a dig at the Giants when we can, it does not really mean anything,

Thanked by 2MikePT Shazan
  • Sorry guys, I tripped over the single power cable and never did a write after conf t.

edited November 2017

WSS said: That's one thing I never expected you to type. Don't you run Exchange 5.5 internally?

haha, well, I appreciate it is the 'dark side' but frankly I don't think there is a better more elastic and flexible mail solution that MAPI/MS Exchange for business.

• "Especially with many servers which will have broken arrays and drives after such incident."

This is exactly the stuff I'm worried about. Let's hope it's not total disaster.

• Man I think I'll have a mental breakdown if I have to deal with broken arrays after this!

Thanked by 1WebDude

@elijahpaul said:
    Man I think I'll have a mental breakdown if I have to deal with broken arrays after this!

What raid level did you have?

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • WSSWSS Member
    edited November 2017

@AnthonySmith said:

WSS said: That's one thing I never expected you to type. Don't you run Exchange 5.5 internally?

haha, well, I appreciate it is the 'dark side' but frankly I don't think there is a better more elastic and flexible mail solution that MAPI/MS Exchange for business.

There really isn't. There are plenty of attempts and workarounds to have similar functionality- but once you've suckled the teet of Bill, it's difficult to let go. I've been there. It took me years to get a flow nearly as usable (at the expense of sanity) even with my small business ventures. Exchange is fucking trash, but damn if Outlook isn't the bees knees (when not SalesForce).

@AnthonySmith said:
    What raid level did you have?

This is LET. RAID-7DLRS

• Am i the only one on this site not with OVH?

• @corbpie said:
    Am i the only one on this site not with OVH?

Netcup and Time4VPS so Im safe here :P

• What raid level did you have?

RAID 1 (Hardware). Reckon I'll be ok?!

• elijahpaulelijahpaul Member
    edited November 2017

Just my luck. Got servers in almost every one of those 'red' racks! :(