Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH Strasbourg Power Failure - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH Strasbourg Power Failure

Comments

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@Saahib said:
    Apparently they have some centralized routing which is at RBX and since it went down, all went down.

I guess, this incident will give them lesson for being too lenient on power feed and failover .

I guess it comes down to how much their Customers are prepared to pay. Clearly, as in this example, getting down to such prices requires major cutting corners, which backfires, again as in this example.

I don't think OVH Customers would accept a major price increase. There was a lot of noise about the small increase on DDoS protection prices.

Thanked by 1jh_aurologic
  • SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

@Clouvider said:

@Saahib said:
    Apparently they have some centralized routing which is at RBX and since it went down, all went down.

I guess, this incident will give them lesson for being too lenient on power feed and failover .

I guess it comes down to how much their Customers are prepared to pay. Clearly, as in this example, getting down to such prices requires major cutting corners, which backfires, again as in this example.

I don't think OVH Customers would accept a major price increase. There was a lot of noise about the small increase on DDoS protection prices.

Actually have seen similar incident with a smaller provider , since then they went pro-active with their power feed, after incident, I saw them overhauling their all system. But in case of OVH, it is actually little hard to digest, are they hiding something ?

Even their premium services, main website, all is down.

• Nice to see that Clouvider has to comment about his competitors all day instead of minding his own business.

• brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate

So... let's see how the TOR network performs when half of its nodes is down :3

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Clouvider said: I guess it comes down to how much their Customers are prepared to pay. Clearly, as in this example, getting down to such prices requires major cutting corners, which backfires, again as in this example.

Um? You're aware that OVH has multiple billion dollars in VC funding right? One of the VC funding tracking websites showed nearly a billion dollars in US funding alone, nevermind the hundreds of millions of dollars they get in EU, tax breaks, etc.

Francisco

• SetsuraSetsura Member
    edited November 2017

Called their support phone line for the hell of it, was on hold for 11 minutes and decided they probably wouldn't have anything new to tell me. OVH Spain twitter says they have no known ETA at this time, so welp.

@Clouvider said:

A lot of the people complaining may be 10EUR or less kimsufi customers, but they have plenty of higher end customers too, I myself spend a good few hundred EUR combined with them, it has been because they've actually been for the most part "fine" all these years, this is actually the first major issue I've ever had at RBX. I got a little too complacent with their "okay"ness and left something a little more critical than I should have with them. I regret it a bit, I'll probably need to reevaluate that particular service being on OVH now, but I still think they're a decent place. My biggest complaint about this particular incident definitely has to be their communication regarding it though.

Thanked by 1Clouvider

@Francisco said:

Clouvider said: I guess it comes down to how much their Customers are prepared to pay. Clearly, as in this example, getting down to such prices requires major cutting corners, which backfires, again as in this example.

Um? You're aware that OVH has multiple billion dollars in VC funding right? One of the VC funding tracking websites showed nearly a billion dollars in US funding alone, nevermind the hundreds of millions of dollars they get in EU, tax breaks, etc.

Francisco

I am well aware, and I can see that what I've been expecting for years is materialising, namely the VCs want to see a return on their investment, so you see gimmicks like 'DDoS protection price increase'. You may have also noticed that most (all?) of their non-FR locations have pricing much higher already, and it includes the UK where they own the building from the ground up.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Clouvider said: I am well aware, and I can see that what I've been expecting for years is materialising, namely the VCs want to see a return on their investment, so you see gimmicks like 'DDoS protection price increase'. You may have also noticed that most (all?) of their non-FR locations have pricing much higher already, and it includes the UK where they own the building from the ground up.

The IPv4 Apocalypse is looming.

Francisco

I agree @Setsura, communication is the key. Especially as this is looking like a major and prolonged outage now that 2 DCs have all servers down and they have major routing issues, Customers should be aware that they need to execute their DR plan and that this is likely not going to be fixed quite soon.

• RhysRhys Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2017

@lion said:
    Nice to see that Clouvider has to comment about his competitors all day instead of minding his own business.

It's a public forum if others can comment why can't he?

@Francisco said:
    The IPv4 Apocalypse is looming.

Francisco

but big Oles man said the prices would never change \s

Thanked by 2Francisco Clouvider

@brueggus said:
    So... let's see how the TOR network performs when half of its nodes is down :3

A lot of entry nodes people have is also probably down, so I'd assume the volume is significantly lower today. They publish any stats on regards to bandwidth traversing their network ?

• SetsuraSetsura Member
    edited November 2017

Regarding Tor: https://metrics.torproject.org/bubbles.html#as this is their network relays by ASN, OVH is the bottom right big bubble, seems online.net is bigger for Tor

Thanked by 1Dikobraz
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

My guess, it will be 2 days before it is 100% back as it was.

• Well. A good side of this event is that I have a bunch of memes to read on twitter regarding OVH downtime issue

• @AnthonySmith said:
    My guess, it will be 2 days before it is 100% back as it was.

No guesses without a bet!

• Thanked by 3steny Profforg mikho
  • SBG: 2 routing rooms are UP powered by gen. EDRF still down. ETA: 15min RBX: the DB of the optical node in RBX is corrupted. All links are still down. We upload the backup. ETA: 30min

30 minute ETA for RBX, nice to see something official now. Guess we'll see if 30 minutes happens.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Setsura said: online.net is bigger for Tor

Online had (for my kidechire) been absolutely stellar in Tor traffic.
    Discussing with other people, OVH does work, but fluctuates pretty badly, at least on the cheap services.
    This can be bad luck, we had a faulty electrical switch blackout 2 datacenters in milano, same thing, because the second one was running through dark fiber originating in the first. That was meant to be a temporary solution until we move out in the new (at the time under construction) Tier 4 one. Of course, shit happens and when it happens, also generators start a bit late, etc.
    Uncle Murphy can work in overtime, nobody is prepared enough, for every major catastrophe, there are hundreds of near-misses nobody finds out about until one day the bad luck stars align.
    I am no friend of OVH as everyone knows, but laughing at someone's bad luck is not my thing, even if it is at least in a big part, their fault.

Thanked by 2vimalware southy
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

lion said: No guesses without a bet!

you offerings odds?

• What a nice thing to wake up to!

• @Clouvider said:
    Plan for the worst, hope for the best.

Spoken like a true engineer, I love it! <3

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • RBX: the links are coming UP.

Happening

• My dedi has just rejoined the internet :) Not very responsive yet, but monitoring alerts have just cleared.

@Setsura said:

RBX: the links are coming UP.

Happening

Great to hear. Just sad to see that despite billions from VCs they managed to engineer it so badly that it could happen.

Thanked by 2JackH datanoise
  • FalzoFalzo Member
    edited November 2017

agreed, SBG RBX back online here too, and guess what, the server itself hasn't been down the wholetime. still showing 430 days uptime... so just fuss about their routing stuff (at least in RBX).

(edited because of posted wrong location first)

• HannanHannan Member, Host Rep

Servers are coming up....

• My RBX stuff seems to be up again, some more responsive than others. Hopefully no major residual issues happen while they're getting things fixed.

• Hubic is gonzoed for the first time since I subscribed.

• My servers on RBX are up again

• I am still waiting for the public cloud in SBG