Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dedicated AMD EPYC Servers Hit Market /W Secure Encrypted Virtualization
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dedicated AMD EPYC Servers Hit Market /W Secure Encrypted Virtualization

sureiamsureiam Member
edited November 2017 in General

This is the first I've seen as a dedicated server and it's pretty phenomenal IMO...

Single CPU Competes with Dual E5-2690V3
Benchmark

Also it has Secure Encrypted Virtualization for encrypting the ram for virtualized environments. That in itself is a selling point for KVM users I would assume.
Video testing it

24 Core, 48 Thread AMD EPYC CPU
128GB of DDR4 ECC Ram
2x 960GB NVMe (!) drives
50TB Traffic

ONLY € 169.00 a month!

https://www.hetzner.com/epyc-server

I'm pretty impressed at the amount of hardware you can get for that price. 48 Threads is pretty impressive let alone at that performance level. Then you toss in 2x 1TB NVMe drives for good measure and 128GB of ECC4 RAM and 50TB of traffic. Nuts.. The same spec'd EYPC server costs about £5,800 to have made. I seriously don't know how they are going to make their money back at this price point, but great for the renter.

Anyway this is the first dedicated AMD EPYC box I've seen hit the market so I thought I would share it.

Comments

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

Really, really tempting. I need to run a bench in one of those...

Thanked by 1steny
  • I already see some providers coming with new cheap VPS packages in germany

@vovler said:
    I already see some providers coming with new cheap VPS packages in germany

Given Hetzner's IP pricing, I doubt it. Plus you can only add a single /27 to each server. So even for 7 USD per VPS, not sure if its worth.

• @MikePT said:

@vovler said:

Given Hetzner's IP pricing, I doubt it. Plus you can only add a single /27 to each server. So even for 7 USD per VPS, not sure if its worth.

Unless you can charge a premium for SEV. I imagine some individuals would consider that worth an extra $3 a month for their sensitive data

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • @sureiam said:
    Unless you can charge a premium for SEV. I imagine some individuals would consider that worth an extra $3 a month for their sensitive data

What does SEV stand for?

• sureiamsureiam Member
    edited November 2017

Secure Encrypted Virtualization. Check out the YouTube video in the post to see what it is. It's currently exclusive to AMD

@sureiam said:

@MikePT said:

@vovler said:

Thats a valid point indeed.

Thanked by 1sureiam
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

MikePT said: Thats a valid point indeed.

Iamsure it is backdoored.

Thanked by 1MikePT