Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Options for renewing/replacing OVH VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Options for renewing/replacing OVH VPS

I've had a basic Linux VPS on OVH for a few years, and I'd like to change it. I think it's a legacy product which isn't available to new customers. Their current products start at about twice as much as I've been paying, but for that you get SSD and DDoS protection. I mostly use it for private web hosting, so bottom end hosting packages are sufficient for that, but there are a couple of issues I'd like to address.

One is that I'd like to be able to run a Trackmania game server on it too, at least occasionally. It only needs to handle a few players at a time, and it's not very demanding, but I want it to be especially for maps that are so long and hard my friends and I need to spread our gameplay over more than one day to complete one. I've found that on OVH the server will suffer some sort of drop-outs where any players will get disconnected, even if there's only one player and they're idle. It happens roughly on a daily basis, but at random times. TrackMania doesn't support any sort of race persistence or saving, so getting disconnected is a disaster on such long maps. A friend had the same problem with hosting Trackmania on OVH, but we lived with it, because we were playing shorter maps. Is this sort of thing inevitable with low end services, or are other providers able to provide more reliability without paying significantly more?

The second issue is that my VPS is hosted on an old version of Centos with an ancient kernel, 2.6.32 IIRC. I want to be able to keep the distro (Debian) up-to-date, but when I upgraded to 9.0 (just using apt over ssh) I got a warning that its libc doesn't officially support such an old kernel. It doesn't seem to have caused any problems in practice, but it's a nagging doubt. OVH's site has some articles about installing later kernels, but I think this might only be possible with dedicated servers, not their VMs? They also say they support Debian 9, so perhaps their current products have a newer kernel?

So, should I stay with OVH, or can anyone recommend another provider with a better service for 2-5GBP a month? SSD would be nice, but not essential, and I don't really care about physical location.

Comments

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited November 2017

realh said: The second issue is that my VPS is hosted on an old version of Centos with an ancient kernel, 2.6.32 IIRC. I want to be able to keep the distro (Debian) up-to-date, but when I upgraded to 9.0 (just using apt over ssh) I got a warning that its libc doesn't officially support such an old kernel. It doesn't seem to have caused any problems in practice, but it's a nagging doubt. OVH's site has some articles about installing later kernels, but I think this might only be possible with dedicated servers, not their VMs?

Most likely you use their old OpenVZ VPS, in which case you can't change or upgrade the kernel.

If you're satisfied with OVH in all other aspects, just go with their current VPS-SSD. They just had a price increase, but at the same there is now a discount back to the previous level if you prepay for a year. It's a solid quality product, both in performance and stability. Just get in on the old price for an entire year while you can.

Thanked by 3Falzo southy realh
  • @realh what are you current VPS specs? or what are your desired specs for the price you have mentioned?

• @rm_ I’ve had the VPS-Classic (multiple actually) for a while and they work just as great as the SSD counterpart. I can get a solid 300-400mb/s on IO, and the network is pretty decent for the meagre price of $3.50/mo.

Having said that, the VPS SSD is significantly faster and more reliable. It’s the OP’s best bet if he wants to have AntiDDOS.

Thanked by 1realh
  • Thanks for your help, guys. Looks like OVH's VPS-SSD is the way to go.

• I would really be interested in a real benchmark of an OVH SSD-VPS.
    Has anyone done one?

Take for example the current lineup: VPS SSD 1.
    1 vCore, 2 GB RAM.

How does this for example compare to the Netcup

• RS 500 SAS G7 SE (same price range but HDD)
    • RS 1000 SAS G7 SE (double price but also SSD)
      ?

Any ideas?

• FWIW my old service is "VPS 2014 Classic 1". Am I right in thinking my options for upgrading are effectively limited to ordering the new service, manually setting it up with data and config etc copied from the old one, updating my domain for the new IP, and finally letting the old service expire?

• @southy said:
    I would really be interested in a real benchmark of an OVH SSD-VPS.
    Has anyone done one?

Just did one.
    OVH 2016 Cloud 1
    Ist the W2016 Cloud" the current lineup or do they have a "2017" product?

• @southy said:

@southy said:
    Has anyone done one?

Just did one.
    OVH 2016 Cloud 1
    Ist the W2016 Cloud" the current lineup or do they have a "2017" product?

afaik they did not change much, you can't "see" the underlying hardware anyway. I did geekbenches too, but already a year back... probably somewhere in the old cest pit ;-)

if I remember right, there is not much difference compared to your bench, something around ~3k it was

• sinsin Member
    edited November 2017

@southy said:
    Has anyone done one?

Take for example the current lineup: VPS SSD 1.
    1 vCore, 2 GB RAM.

How does this for example compare to the Netcup

• RS 500 SAS G7 SE (same price range but HDD)
    • RS 1000 SAS G7 SE (double price but also SSD)
      ?

Any ideas?

Here's a geekbench I took of my old OVH SSD VPS 1:
    https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/3091983

OVH's SSD VPSes have great performance and I usually go with them over their Cloud VPS offerings (I had some issues with the disk/ceph speed on their cloud vpses where everything would slow to a crawl, someone else on here had the same issue).

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • @sin said:

Here's a geekbench I took of my old OVH SSD VPS 1:
    https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/3091983

OVH's SSD VPSes have great performance and I usually go with them over their Cloud VPS offerings (I had some issues with the disk/ceph speed on their cloud vpses where everything would slow to a crawl, someone else on here had the same issue).

Interesting.
    But if you compare your and my benchmarks then the SSD version is a bit "slower" than the cloud version.
    At least at the time when I took the test...

• Wait, so a dedicated single-person machine benches somewhat slower than a shared-resources host pool?

STOP THE FUCKING PRESS!

• southysouthy Member
    edited November 2017

@WSS said:
    Wait, so a dedicated single-person machine benches somewhat slower than a shared-resources host pool?

Dedicated? The SSD product is sold with CPU as „vCore“!
    There could be any amount of overbooking on a node.
    On the other hand you have the extra layer for storage on the cloud product.
    And I would assume it’s harder to balance the appropriate amount of clients on lots of small machines vs. a large Pool.
    So to me the result is anything but predictable.
    Could be anything, depending on your neighbors on your nose.