Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Shipping Server from China (Alibaba) to EU
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Shipping Server from China (Alibaba) to EU

Alibaba have some great deals on 11.11 so I wanted to get a backup server for my movie collection. Any idea if I have to pay any TAX here in EU? Someone did it before?

Thank you!

Comments

• @WHT said:
    Alibaba have some great deals on 11.11 so I wanted to get a backup server for my movie collection. Any idea if I have to pay any TAX here in EU? Someone did it before?

Thank you!

Why wouldn’t you have to pay tax?

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

Of course you have to pay tax. VAT and any other applicable import duties.

• @Nekki said:

@WHT said:

Thank you!

Why wouldn’t you have to pay tax?

So if I pay $250 on the onlineshop I should pay more when it arrives?

WHT said: So if I pay $250 on the onlineshop I should pay more when it arrives?

Yes. If you were in the UK, it would be a minimum of 20% extra, just for VAT.

• Well then sucks.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • Hm. This is an interesting potential for a black market.

• NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited November 2017

@WHT said:
    Well then sucks.

Welcome to the world. The only way round it would be to have someone else from an country where there are no additional taxes to pay receive the item then ship it to you as a ‘gift’, so therefore free of tax. You’d then have to pay additional shipping, obviously, and you could still get caught out at customs.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited November 2017

@Nekki said:

@WHT said:
    Well then sucks.

Welcome to the world. The only way round it would be to have someone else from an country where there are no additional taxes to pay receive the item then ship it to you as a ‘gift’, so therefore free of tax. You’d then have to pay additional shipping, obviously, and you could still get caught out at customs.

I got taxed insanely on a 3D printer. The government LOVES HST $$$.

• @doghouch said:

@Nekki said:

@WHT said:
    Well then sucks.

We get eat a 20% hike on everything above £15 plus at least £10 in handling if you don’t pay the tax upfront.

• @Nekki said:

@doghouch said:

@Nekki said:

@WHT said:
    Well then sucks.

We get eat a 20% hike on everything above £15 plus at least £10 in handling if you don’t pay the tax upfront.

Glad to know that the Canadian government did a CTRL+C. We pay a 13% tax + duties + $15-20 in administration fees for not paying the tax upfront.

They caught me lying about the value of the item, so I ended up paying around 19% tax as a penalty. :(

• I remember when I was in Latin America, and had someone ship me a laptop I bought in the US for $200 as a backup since mine shit the bed and parts were 3 MONTHS OUT.

They decided that despite the invoice, that it was worth $800, and I had to pay nearly $150 taxes on it. Needless to say, I let them keep the laptop.

• If you're in Europe just get yourself a second-hand server from bargainhardware or eBay. Actually you can get two of 'em and avoid having to pay tax...

I just carry a bunch of gear with my in my suitcase from HK when I fly back to LT. Normally around 50-60kg worth as well. It's never new though, so normally no tax is applicable.

• I just bought an ECS in aliyun few days ago, i got tax'ed, VPS is 9 usd, i paid 10.9 with tax

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@Nekki said:

@WHT said:
    Well then sucks.

Gifts over certain value (which might be determined by the Customs) can also be taxed, and naturally in an unlikely even you’re caught...

Also, on top of the VAT one usually pays handling fee for the shipping company to deal with it, £25-50 usually.

This normally has to be paid upfront before parcel is released on entry.