Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Netcup VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Netcup VPS

Hi,

do you guys have any experiences with a Netcup VPS?

I would like to use the "RS 1000 G7 SE" to run a Emby server on it and to down-/upload files to my cloud drive.

Any information is welcome, also alternatives!

Comments

• neik said: Hi,

do you guys have any experiences with a Netcup VPS?

Hi,

We do https://lowendtalk.com/search?Search=netcup

Thanked by 1daily
  • netcup is a good provider.

By the way, they have some promotions right now, the only requirement being that you can read enough German: http://www.netcup-sonderangebote.de/ :-)

Thanked by 1bersy
  • Netcup is awesome! :-)

• Nothing to complain about Netcup!

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited November 2017

@angstrom said:
    netcup is a good provider.

By the way, they have some promotions right now, the only requirement being that you can read enough German: http://www.netcup-sonderangebote.de/ :-)

Why did you post this :( So tempting..

@Falzo

Thanked by 2Aidan Falzo
  • @Ympker said: Why did you post this :( So tempting..

Yes, I know, I'm also tempted. I was going to wait until Black Friday, but netcup doesn't participate in Black Friday and follows its own rhythm.

• @angstrom said:

@Ympker said: Why did you post this :( So tempting..

Yes, I know, I'm also tempted. I was going to wait until Black Friday, but netcup doesn't participate in Black Friday and follows its own rhythm.

Nah they don't afaik. BUT they have nice Xmas Deals usually + the Xmas Calender offers in december.. Hard to know when to buy haha

Thanked by 1bersy
  • Thanks guys for the feedback!

Is anyone download/uploading DCMA stuff over netcup? Do they care about it?
    I don't want to share DCMA stuff just for my personal Emby server.

Can't find out where their servers are located but given that their site is in german I suppose it's in Germany, right? Might that be a problem with the DCMA stuff?

In case that information is important: I am located in Germany.

Btw. nice offers 2x dedi cores + 3gb + 4*120gb for 5 bucks a month is very sweat!

• Copyrighted material and Germany is not a good idea^^

• That was my concern as well.. ^^
    Nevertheless, I am impressed with the pricing, especially it being a german hoster. Actually, I would suppose them to be more expensive.

Any good alternatives to netcup and comparatively priced?

• @neik said:
    That was my concern as well.. ^^
    Nevertheless, I am impressed with the pricing, especially it being a german hoster. Actually, I would suppose them to be more expensive.

Any good alternatives to netcup and comparatively priced?

Netcup is awesome just not very compatible with copyright infringement. Contabo is not as high quality I guess but may be a bit more tolerant as far as dmca is concerned. Anyway copyright infringement is still a crime in Germany.

• That's the reason I do not want a server in Germany. That probably would be too risky.

I try it again: Is there a good alternative that does not care much about DCMA and is not located in Germany but in a more DCMA friendly country?

• neik said: more DCMA friendly country

Romania.

• From what I've read Scaleway and the online.net network in general is DCMA friendly and they are located either in France (Paris) or Netherlands.

• angstrom said: netcup doesn't participate in Black Friday

They had some awesome offers in December last year though.

• @neik said:
    Btw. nice offers 2x dedi cores + 3gb + 4*120gb for 5 bucks a month is very sweat!

wth is that supposed to mean though? Do they give me 4 different volumes? What kind of setup is that?

• Generally, RAID 5.

• FalzoFalzo Member
    edited November 2017

@Rodney said:

@neik said:

wth is that supposed to mean though? Do they give me 4 different volumes? What kind of setup is that?

you will get 240GB SAS space with that one. the underlying config is a raid 10 array. but nothing you can change as far as I know of - just 240 GB which they just market as 4*120 to make clear it's underlying raid 10.

that small rootDS https://www.netcup.eu/bestellen/produkt.php?produkt=1606 obviously is quite new to the range and seems like value as you get the same 2 dedicated cores as with the RS1000. minimum contract term length is 3month on that one, yet a nice product.

also the prices for all other vserver and rootserver are back to their former lowest prices they had on that ranges (like the old order links that were working the whole year ;-))

yet I also would not recommend any german provider if you have to be afraid of incoming abuse messages, so more likely not the right product for @neik.

Thanked by 2Ympker angstrom
  • @Falzo do they give out ipv6 subnet?

• @Falzo said:

@Rodney said:

@neik said:

you will get 240GB SAS space with that one. the underlying config is a raid 10 array. but nothing you can change as far as I know of - just 240 GB which they just market as 4*120 to make clear it's underlying raid 10.

I see. However the other offers also mention RAID10 and you're just given the net value in that case. Unless that means you get dedicated HDDs in one case and not in the other I still don't really get why they chose to display it in that way.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

angstrom said: By the way, they have some promotions right now, the only requirement being that you can read enough German: http://www.netcup-sonderangebote.de/ :-)

Finally, my college German pays off. But there's an "In English" link at the top.

So let me get this straight...

• 2 dedicated E5 cores
    • 3GB RAM
    • 4x120GB SAS

for 6.99EUR/mo on a 3-mo prepay (or 4.99EUR on a 12-mo).

I know others such as @bsdguy recommend Netcup...well, I'm taking them for a 3-mo spin. At that price I'm not even going to argue about VAT.

• So, @raindog308, what're you going to do with it?

• @raindog308 said: Finally, my college German pays off. But there's an "In English" link at the top.

I hadn't noticed that.

• @WSS said:
    So, @raindog308, what're you going to do with it?

For backups, I guess.

@raindog308: Let us know what the "4 x 120 GB SAS" means in practice.

• When I first grabbed a RS1000 for a single month, I didn't expect much... I thought, "dedicated core my ass", looking the price! It ended with me grabbing other 3 vps with them, 2 RS1000 (the last one today, with their small discount) and a vps (not dedicated server) and I am really impressed! Grabbed and a couple extra ipv4, the only thing with them is that even if your server do have monthly payment, you have to prepay for the whole year for the additional ipv4.
    If it is not the best vps I have, it is certainly on top-3 (on over 25 I currently have and over 100 I had in the last 6 years).

• angstrom said: Let us know what the "4 x 120 GB SAS" means in practice.

It means exactly what @Falzo already explained.

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • @Amitz said:

angstrom said: Let us know what the "4 x 120 GB SAS" means in practice.

It means exactly what @Falzo already explained.

Indeed, sorry, I hadn't yet read @Falzo's comment!

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I'm expecting something like this in the post:

• WSSWSS Member
    edited November 2017

Hardly. German.

• @raindog308 said: I'm expecting something like this in the post:

The Germans are serious.