Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lowest resource using setup
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Lowest resource using setup

I'm reconfiguring a VPs of mine and if all goes well all my VPS'.
I was wondering what the best distro and any special configuration needed for a bare bare bare minimum setup. This is bare server don't worry about packages or what not. I'm looking for smaller memory footprint and least amount of disk space while still being useful

Comments

• Install Debian 6 32 bit with just only OpenSSH server. Then replace OpenSSH with DropBear.

• A good amount of providers offer minimal templates. Use those.

• Use Debian 6 32bit minimal. Or you can use normal Debian 6 32bit/64bit, and configure it using Minstall :)

• How much disk space and memory does a minimal centos 5 and 6 need?

• Any reason why still use Debian 6?

• mawrmawr Member

@serverian said:
    Any reason why still use Debian 6?

What would you suggest? I'm running Ubuntu and have used Debian as they are similar and easy to adapt to. I'm thinking about switching to Debian in all my new servers, unless there is a better option.

• @mawr said:
    What would you suggest? I'm running Ubuntu and have used Debian as they are similar and easy to adapt to. I'm thinking about switching to Debian in all my new servers, unless there is a better option.

There's Debian 7 :)