Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dedi or VPS with large disk space
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dedi or VPS with large disk space

014014 Member
edited August 2013 in Requests

Specs I'm looking for are:

RAM: >2GB
HDD: At least 500GB. Preferably 1TB+
CPU: Any
Bandwidth: 5TB/Month~
Port speed: 100Mb+

Price of under $50/Month, looking for a provider in Europe.

Comments

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited August 2013

I can do an Atom with 1TB, 2TB or 3TB HDD within this budget, location Bulgaria.

edit: but the big question is: what do you want to do with the server?

• xsetxset Member

@rds100 with gigabit?

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited August 2013

@xset nope, 100mbit port. Small dedis (Atoms) don't have enough horsepower to benefit from a gigabit anyway.

edit: anyway, here is the order link. You can configure the HDD options

https://www.fitvps.com/members/cart.php?a=add&pid=23

• 014014 Member

@Jack said:
    I can do a dedicated server in the UK with a 1TB drive for $50/mo

Nice specs, I'll definitely think about it. Do servers located anywhere else? Or just the UK?

@rds100 said:
    I can do an Atom with 1TB, 2TB or 3TB HDD within this budget, location Bulgaria.

edit: but the big question is: what do you want to do with the server?

Basically, move everything from all the VPSs I have onto a dedicated server. I want the large space to back up stuff and store loads of my files. Paying ~$50/month for a dedicated server seems cheaper than loads of VPSs and keeping on top of managing them all.

• @014 keep in mind that the small dedis usually come with a single HDD. Which can fail some day and your data would be gone. Unless you have it also stored elsewhere of course, then it souldn't be such a problem.

Thanked by 1DeletedUser
  • 014014 Member

@rds100 said:
    014 keep in mind that the small dedis usually come with a single HDD. Which can fail some day and your data would be gone. Unless you have it also stored elsewhere of course, then it souldn't be such a problem.

Most of the data on it will be there for backup, or just so I can access it remotely. So it's not too much of a problem. What's the cheapest you could do your server with 4GB RAM and a 2TB drive?

• @014 just check the configuration link i gave you above because you can choose to either pay monthly for everything, or pay some setup fee and then pay less per month.
    I can throw a free RAM upgrade from 2GB to 4GB for you, so it's:

• $38.10 per month (2GB RAM free upgraded to 4GB and 2TB HDD), or
    • $25.01 per month with $70 setup for the same thing

And i would also upgrade the bandwidth from 3TB to 5TB for you, no problem for that.

Of course these prices don't include VAT, if you are from the EU you know how things work with the VAT.

• @014 said:
    Most of the data on it will be there for backup, or just so I can access it remotely.

Bad idea, using a Dedi as backup. A single HDD is prone for crashing, and you lose all your data. Get a dedi for the power if you want, but backup somewhere else, with a good RAID configuration.

• @joelgm keeping your backups on a single server/location is a bad idea, even with a good RAID configuration. The RAID card can die and kill your data, the PSU can die and kill the HDDs too, there are many many things that can go wrong and kill your data. The best backup strategy is to have backups in more than one place, with some good distance in miles between the backup locations.

• @rds100 said:
    The best backup strategy is to have backups in more than one place, with some good distance in miles between the backup locations.

I agree wholeheartedly. I do have three redundant locations for backup. :D

• @rds100 said: The best backup strategy is to have backups in more than one place, with some good distance in miles between the backup locations.

can your PM your web site.

• Just got one of these: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1296021

Yes it sounds sketchy, but it's a well known hosting company so I think the risk is mininal :)

• BrianHarrisonBrianHarrison Member, Patron Provider

BuyVM has some very very inexpensive storage VMs you might want to take a look at.

• JacobJacob Member
    edited August 2013

We can do a Quadcore, 8GB RAM, 2 x 1TB, 5TB on 1Gbit, KVMoIP + Remote reboot. $75/Mo in Coventry, UK.

Bigger drives like 2TB, 3TB, 4TB can also be arranged and we allow one time fees for hard drives.

• Backupsy can do this for $50/month in the Netherlands with 1TB RAID50 space, 5TB BW @ 1Gbps.

PM me if you are interested.

• OP, do consider http://www.ovh.ie/dedicated_servers/mini-sp.xml - cheaper than all providers offers here, they accept orders from US and stuff for non-Kimsufi servers, 2x2TB, Xeon, 32GB RAM, at least 200Mbps, burstable to 1Gbps.

• xsetxset Member

If you need it soon, dont order from Ovh. According to their latest info its going to take at least 3 weeks to get the server.

• @xset maybe for Kimsufi, I think it's the usual 72h for OVH

• xsetxset Member

@chauffer no, msp orders in sbg or rbx take up to 2 weeks, gra should get delivered next week in 1 hour. this is the latest announcement. I still have msp orders pending over 2 weeks and fs server for 2 weeks.

• @xset oh well then!

• im looking for storage backup but with raid, i have right now 2.5TB for $40, is a small dedicated, but im looking something near my other servers.

2.5TB but without RAID, i need with!

• @dedicados, PM me mate.