Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Needing feedback on our proposed Block Storage, "BuyVM Slabs" ( $5 per 1TB)! - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Needing feedback on our proposed Block Storage, "BuyVM Slabs" ( $5 per 1TB)!

Comments

• @Francisco said:

WSS said: @Francisco is just looking for a new way to lose his shirt.

With how I've reshuffled things the project should be net neutral cost wise for us to roll out.

Not that. :)

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@willie said:

Francisco said: [Lux] I could try to find someone willing to drive to do some work, but who knows.

I know an NL guy who ran a .nl ISP a while back, who might have some contacts. I could put him in touch with you if you want.

Not interested in NL.

We'll see, for now I'm just planning to get a few more slice nodes in place, shuffle around some OVZ stock, and get the storage nodes up. It's fairly involved, but I think I can retire some of the gear that I had other plans for.

Francisco

• Francisco said:

Not interested in NL.

Well I mean those Benelux ISP guys know each other to some extent.

@willie said:

Francisco said:

Not interested in NL.

Well I mean those Benelux ISP guys know each other to some extent.

I'm sure they do, but still not interested in NL :P

Francisco

• Francisco said: I'm sure they do, but still not interested in NL :P

I mean the NL guy might be able to refer you to someone in or near Lux! I don't think he would be up for doing the work himself at this point. He is a minor league tycoon now, if I understand it right.

• Do you backup the data? Or it's just a raid 10?

@dnwk said:
    Do you backup the data? Or it's just a raid 10?

It's RAID. If you want backups you can buy another volume and keep your own :P

Francisco

• @Francisco said:

@lurch said:
    @Francisco what's the chances of it being available in lux for black Friday?

It won't.

Ahh that's a shame but understand your motives with trialing etc first it's just lux would have been perfect for me.

@lurch said:
    Ahh that's a shame but understand your motives with trialing etc first it's just lux would have been perfect for me.

If we're happy with it, we'll do it :D I think with the amount of cache we'll have in place, the interlinks, etc, it'll run good.

Francisco

• @Francisco said:

If we're happy with it, we'll do it :D I think with the amount of cache we'll have in place, the interlinks, etc, it'll run good.

Francisco

In that case if you have slice deals in lux on bf I will pick one up ready.

• Francisco said: It's RAID. If you want backups you can buy another volume and keep your own :P

Can I get two volumes and be sure that they're in separate physical boxes and preferably separate racks?

Are you still thinking RAID 10? I think there's a tension between cheap storage and performant storage, and trying to do both isn't great for either. I have a lot of cold archives to back up, so I'm generally more interested in cheap than performant if that mtaters.

edited November 2017

@willie said:

Francisco said: It's RAID. If you want backups you can buy another volume and keep your own :P

Can I get two volumes and be sure that they're in separate physical boxes and preferably separate racks?

Are you still thinking RAID 10? I think there's a tension between cheap storage and performant storage, and trying to do both isn't great for either. I have a lot of cold archives to back up, so I'm generally more interested in cheap than performant if that mtaters.

We're wanting to do RAID6 with 5% or so of the total array as NVME cache. At the price point we're at a lot of people will be using us for cold storage, nightly backups, etc, meaning our constant storage strain will be a lot calmer. If I ever enforced the limits I mentioned at the start of the discussion, it'd calm it down even further.

With the amount of cache we want to have per node (around 4 - 5TB) it'll brunt things and write out things when it's good and ready.

We'll have a single large rack of storage for the time being, but I can arrange it so blocks are on completely separate breakers and nodes.

EDIT - I should add, a lot of this is theoretical. Our testing so far has been very positive, but there's only so much crap a single person can throw at it. The goal is a hundred or so VM's and people will be using them like they normally would. We're fully aware some people are bound to just slam the array and try to burn a bunch of endurance on the drives, and that's OK, we need that kind of abuse to see where things go.

We're not doing this with Ceph so there isn't a million documents and mailing lists talking about every which configuration on this. We're in uncharted waters, but I think it'll rock.

Francisco

• dedicadosdedicados Member
    edited November 2017

willie said: mean the NL guy might be able to refer you to someone in or near Lux...

he say no god dammit!!! leave him alone!!

Francisco said: we need that kind of abuse

i can, just give me 1 hour and i will full that storage with torrents, isos and shit.

dedicados said: i can, just give me 1 hour and i will full that storage with torrents, isos and shit.

>

You're welcome to join the beta when I get it going.

You're also welcome to torrent, but i'll ask you to cap your speeds.

Francisco

Thanked by 1dedicados
  • @Rami said:
    Why not making a 0.5TB option as well, it will make a lot of people interested as well

+1

@jholycloud said:

@Rami said:
    Why not making a 0.5TB option as well, it will make a lot of people interested as well

+1

I'll add a 500GB option, $2.50/month. May even add a 250GB option at $1.25/month.

You need to Get A Slice (tm) but yeah.

Francisco

• AluminatAluminat Member
    edited November 2017

Francisco said: May even add a 250GB option at $1.25/month.

4.75$/month for 1vCPU 1GB RAM 270GB disk? Yes please!

@Aluminat said:

Francisco said: May even add a 250GB option at $1.25/month.

4.75$/month for 1vCPU 1GB RAM 270GB disk? Yes please!

Remember, it's 20GB of SSD as /dev/vda and then the 250GB would be /dev/vdb.

You could throw them both in an LVM if you want, but yeah :P

Francisco

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • Francisco said: the 250GB would be /dev/vdb.

there will be an option con add at secondary disk on the principal slice?

@dedicados said:

Francisco said: the 250GB would be /dev/vdb.

there will be an option con add at secondary disk on the principal slice?

These are not storage plans, this is storage addons.

You will buy blocks and they're bound to your account. You will then be able to move the volume between VPS within the same location.

Francisco

• Awesome, waiting to test and buy :)

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • Aluminat said: 4.75$/month for 1vCPU 1GB RAM 270GB disk? Yes please!

Technically 1/4 of a vcpu, but I have that 1GB plan and have been able to go full bore cpu for a few minutes at a time (compiling etc) without problems. You get throttled if you use it too much of the time. With me it's just occasional bursts and I do bigger computations on dedis.

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • Waiting for stable release :D

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • already submitted the form!

Thanked by 1Francisco

@ferri said:
    already submitted the form!

Francisco

• ferri said:

Dang, that's just the google doc! I thought there was an order form up and had to scroll back to look for the link.

• @willie said:

ferri said:

Dang, that's just the google doc! I thought there was an order form up and had to scroll back to look for the link.

Yes, just google doc .. :D

Depending on what the mods are fine with i'll probably make another thread when it comes to the beta.

I'll keep a handful of stock for private setups and such.

Francisco

Thanked by 2Aluminat dedicados
  • Watch out dude: https://bugs.gentoo.org/638206

Regression in Linux 4.14 – using bcache can destroy the file system

HN discussion: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=15750029

Apparently the bug is fixed now, but I'd say be careful.

Heyo,

Yep, saw that :)

Not using bcache.

Francisco