Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Needing feedback on our proposed Block Storage, "BuyVM Slabs" ( $5 per 1TB)! - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Needing feedback on our proposed Block Storage, "BuyVM Slabs" ( $5 per 1TB)!

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

I've fiddled with the idea of using different CPUs but people really want to have a minimum of 3.5Ghz.

Francisco

• @Francisco said:
    I've fiddled with the idea of using different CPUs but people really want to have a minimum of 3.5Ghz.

Francisco

Just do like HVH and make it aggregate.

Thanked by 1Francisco

@WSS said:

@Francisco said:

Francisco

Just do like HVH and make it aggregate.

Jesus Christ.

Francisco

• @Francisco said:
    Jesus Christ.

Francisco

You may call me WSS.

WSS

• oh my cat!

• I currently have roughly 30TB of raided storage. $5/TB seems like a great price for attached storage, it puts it in line with an OVH storage server or a WebNX large storage server.

So the question comes to performance. You said 100MBps/100IOPS per volume, does that scale with size?

What I mean is; would a 5TB volume get more performance or would you have to do 5x1TB to get more?

@HackedServer said:
    I currently have roughly 30TB of raided storage. $5/TB seems like a great price for attached storage, it puts it in line with an OVH storage server or a WebNX large storage server.

So the question comes to performance. You said 100MBps/100IOPS per volume, does that scale with size?

What I mean is; would a 5TB volume get more performance or would you have to do 5x1TB to get more?

I want to do that long term but haven't decided for sure what the break points would be.

We'll see how the beta goes :)

Francisco

• I like 1TB for $5. Would there be some sort of redundancy at the disk level?

@Microlinux said:
    I like 1TB for $5. Would there be some sort of redundancy at the disk level?

RAID6 at minimum, RAID10 more likely.

Francisco

Thanked by 2vimalware xxdocobxx
  • Probably would grab a 1TB to go with slice. But I echo pleas to start at 0.5

@caracal said:
    Probably would grab a 1TB to go with slice. But I echo pleas to start at 0.5

I'll see how things go.

I wanted to hit $3/TB but wasn't able to quite get there.

Francisco

• yes please

• What does 100mbps mean? That's the transfer speed between the slab and its attached vps? That issue had slipped past me earlier. I do think that slow speed is a drawback, given that it's over a short range LAN.

• @Francisco said:

on 2year prepays maybe.

@willie said:
    What does 100mbps mean? That's the transfer speed between the slab and its attached vps? That issue had slipped past me earlier. I do think that slow speed is a drawback, given that it's over a short range LAN.

No, that's VPS<>World.

Each VPS node will have a 10Gbit link to the storage fabric, dedicated to just storage work.

Francisco

Thanked by 1lukehebb

@vimalware said:

@Francisco said:

on 2year prepays maybe.

Not sure I'd have many people wanting to bite at that with a Slice on top. The cheapest setup would be $150/2y for a 1GB slice and 1TB storage.

Francisco

• williewillie Member
    edited November 2017

Francisco said: The cheapest setup would be $150/2y for a 1GB slice and 1TB storage.

That is interesting. It's $6.5/TB/mo including the slice, vs. $8.5 month-to-month. With 2TB it's $4.75/TB/mo which is official cheap storage range (under $5/TB). Month-to-month never reaches that level, even with 16TB ($5.22/TB/mo). I could see myself going for the 2 TB, 2 year option if it was available. But $3/TB sounds underwater cost-wise if you use raid 10.

Thanked by 2caracal vimalware

willie said: But $3/TB sounds underwater cost-wise if you use raid 10.

It would be but that's why we have testing going on :) While my caching results look very promising, I haven't made it face the torture test that is LE customers.

Even at $5/TB, I think it's very affordable storage, especially from someone that isn't trying to make next months rent.

Francisco

• Francisco said: While my caching results look very promising

What RAID controller will you use? I'm curious about the durability of the controller, fail rates, etc

• Want! Filled out the form. :)

• Hmm already been considering using buyvm for a project and this could push me over the edge!

• Would definitely pick one up if it came to Lux :-)

@jiggawattz said:

Francisco said: While my caching results look very promising

What RAID controller will you use? I'm curious about the durability of the controller, fail rates, etc

I haven't hard decided on that, that's part of what the beta is. What options we're considering though will stay within the select few working on said project.

@lurch said:
    Hmm already been considering using buyvm for a project and this could push me over the edge!

Almost there~

Francisco

• @Francisco said:

Almost there~

Damn you waves fist I'm already chaneling funds for BF deals. If you are doing offers I will host it with you rather than my current provider.

• edited November 2017

[Francisco said]

Not sure I'd have many people wanting to bite at that with a Slice on top. The cheapest setup would be $150/2y for a 1GB slice and 1TB storage.

Francisco

To me, you're one of the few providers I would do a multi year deal with, since I know you'll be around. I'd bite on the 2TB multi year deal for sure.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • msg7086msg7086 Member
    edited November 2017

I'd also love to see a smaller but faster option. For example, a 200GB slab with 400iops would be very helpful for those (like me?) running MySQL replication. We have a pretty busy database and usually offsite HDD can't even catch up in realtime. We are currently using ramnode ssd-cached, very reliable but low spec and not quite good for dumping huge database etc. We would love to try somewhere different.

EDIT: Also if you are considering to ban torrenting from that block storage?

Are the bigger KVM slices not possible? Too costly?

Francisco

• @Francisco said:

Francisco

Yea it's a 30GB database, including relay log and some buffers I'd like to have at least 100GB space around, and that pushes the monthly cost too high.

@msg7086 said:

@Francisco said:

Francisco

Yea it's a 30GB database, including relay log and some buffers I'd like to have at least 100GB space around, and that pushes the monthly cost too high.

You'd be $15.00/month right now, I can spot the 20GB difference.

Francisco

• @Francisco said:

You'd be $15.00/month right now, I can spot the 20GB difference.

Francisco

That's why we are on ramnode ssd-cache line, which is $8/qtr for 120GB.

And that's why I'm interested in slice+slab which is not supposed to bring the cost too high.