Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Needing feedback on our proposed Block Storage, "BuyVM Slabs" ( $5 per 1TB)!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Needing feedback on our proposed Block Storage, "BuyVM Slabs" ( $5 per 1TB)!

FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
edited October 2017 in General

I'm taking it back baby!

Meme's aside, we're looking to get a beta out in the next month or two so I wanted to get some feedback so I can get a feel for interest.

The plan right now is to hit $5/TB/month with performance in the 100MB/sec for sequential and 100 IOPs per volume. The product is aimed to be more for bulk storage for backups, plex, CDN caches, crap like that. Blocks are in chunks of 1TB up to 16TB. You can buy as many as you want and plug up to 8 to a single KVM Slice.

The plans must be attached to a slice, this isn't S3 object store, but you it could be if you roll your own. Stallion's API will be expanded to allow you to migrate volumes between VM's

Current storage customers will be moved onto this platform and will have their CPU/RAM bumped heavily.

Any and all feedback to https://goo.gl/forms/bXaxqi4zkt9dYoDE2 would be much appreciated!

Francisco

Comments

• WSSWSS Member

"Welcome to Franny's. Get a slice 'n' a slab."
    Not sure if I'm buying hosting or an NeXT bundle.

Color me interested; Minio project may be coming up.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@WSS said:
    "Welcome to Franny's. Get a slice 'n' a slab."
    Not sure if I'm buying hosting or an NeXT bundle.

Color me interested; Minio project may be coming up.

The Slice addons are known as "toppings".

Francisco

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I read on LET you've been slabbing for years...

So nice to see something fresh in the market.

I think your questionnaire needs a little improvement:

• You ask for email, so maybe "please provide us a way to contact you" could just be a yes/no radio
    • The only feedback is "how many volumes and how big"? Don't you want some feedback on pricing, offering, etc.?

$5/mo/TB is not bad - similar to B2 or Glacier, cheaper than S3. But it's really (at least) $3.50/mo (for the slice) + $5/mo or $8.50/mo. However, it's different than those - it's "cloud storage with an attached engine".

Or in your equine world, not just a stagecoach but a team of horses as well :-)

Francisco said: Stallion's API will be expanded to allow you to migrate volumes between VM's

Just in the same DC or across the entire BuyVM empire?

Thanked by 1Aluminat

raindog308 said: $5/mo/TB is not bad - similar to B2 or Glacier, cheaper than S3. But it's really (at least) $3.50/mo (for the slice) + $5/mo or $8.50/mo. However, it's different than those - it's "cloud storage with an attached engine".

Fair, but past the $3.50 buy in it's all $5.00. You'd be $13/month or so for 2TB of storage, that's OVH pricing and gain the perks of caching and RAID.

raindog308 said: Just in the same DC or across the entire BuyVM empire?

Vegas to start to get a feel for things. From there we'll do NY, and if I can make room, Luxembourg.

This product would also bring our nodes to 10Gbit connectivity.

Francisco

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Ugh, you're gonna make me move my backups again at that rate.

Thanked by 2raindog308 netomx
  • qpsqps Member, Host Rep

Nice; congrats on the new offering.

@qps said:
    Nice; congrats on the new offering.

Still a ways out, but as I said, I'm mostly looking for a feel for things before we get our initial beta rolled out.

Francisco

• I like the pricing on the block storage but this would seem to be for existing customers only as you are perpetually out of stock on slices - which will be needed to attach the storage to.

Thanked by 1Francisco

Weblogics said: I like the pricing on the block storage but this would seem to be for existing customers only as you are perpetually out of stock on slices - which will be needed to attach the storage to.

I would be bringing another rack of slice nodes online to feed the storage usage :D

Francisco

Thanked by 2Weblogics vimalware
  • nice, count with me.

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • dedicados said: nice, count with me.

1.. 2..

Your turn ;)

Thanked by 3Amitz Ympker netomx
  • hzrhzr Member
    edited October 2017

I will take too. What kind of total price in storage KVM for what specs (you mention increased specs)

• uh, all small slices are out of stock =(

@hzr said:
    I will take too. What kind of total price in storage KVM for what specs (you mention increased specs)

For the current storage people? We'll bump their RAM to match that of a similar priced slice. We're already doing this for people, just haven't made it retroactive yet.

We'll likely use something like E5 2670's or similar for processors. Doing E3's won't be possible since then we're selling half an E3 for $30/month. With the E5's people can keep their 4 cores for $30.00/month.

Francisco

@dedicados said:
    uh, all small slices are out of stock =(

The product won't be available for a few months, i'm just collecting feedback.

We'll have more stock tomorrow, and whenever this launches i'll bring an entire rack of nodes up.

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

I'm in for at least 2TB volume, and if I move Plex another 5TB+.

Thanked by 1Francisco

@Harambe said:
    I'm in for at least 2TB volume, and if I move Plex another 5TB+.

Neato :)

Mostly just trying to get a feel for what size drive would be popular so I can plan iops accordingly. While I'll (hopefully) overbuild on things, I don't want to be loading up TB's and TB's of cache and it's just not being used.

Francisco

• Good pricing. Will consider when you get it running in NY.

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • Francisco said: The product won't be available for a few months, i'm just collecting feedback.

thats good,

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@Francisco said:
    Neato :)

Mostly just trying to get a feel for what size drive would be popular so I can plan iops accordingly. While I'll (hopefully) overbuild on things, I don't want to be loading up TB's and TB's of cache and it's just not being used.

Francisco

Just guessing, but I doubt you'll need TBs of cache per node - probably more effective to go with more, smaller caching drives.

Useful question to ask on survey might be average file size/what types of files you'd want to store. I'm personally looking at more media storage & VM snapshots, so thousands of 1-4GB and dozens of 15-100GB files.

Harambe said: Just guessing, but I doubt you'll need TBs of cache per node - probably more effective to go with more, smaller caching drives.

Have to see, but this is what I'm thinking as well.

Francisco

• Why not making a 0.5TB option as well, it will make a lot of people interested as well

Thanked by 2sayem314 jholycloud
  • Yea and a 50% off on Black Friday. Great!

Thanked by 2netomx jholycloud
  • Is this just JBOD space basically or is there gonna be some sort of redundancy?

• @Francisco said:

Meme's aside, we're looking to get a beta out in the next month or two so I wanted to get some feedback so I can get a feel for interest.

@corbpie said:
    Yea and a 50% off on Black Friday. Great!

I think you have your answer on that ;)

@Setsura said:
    Is this just JBOD space basically or is there gonna be some sort of redundancy?

There is redundancy and then a cache layer above. On paper it should run well but that's the point of the beta when we do it :)

Francisco

@Rami said:
    Why not making a 0.5TB option as well, it will make a lot of people interested as well

A possible, need to feel things out :)

Francisco

• Sounds good. Bring 'em on!

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

"next month or two"

@Francisco is such a tease.

• @Francisco said:

@Rami said:
    Why not making a 0.5TB option as well, it will make a lot of people interested as well

A possible, need to feel things out :)

Francisco

There many other providers with .5 TB storage plans. Stick with a minimum 1TB plan which will appeal to more and quite possibly help keep away the high maintenance cheapskates..

Thanked by 1T_Abraham