Needing feedback on our proposed Block Storage, "BuyVM Slabs" ( $5 per 1TB)!
New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

Needing feedback on our proposed Block Storage, "BuyVM Slabs" ( $5 per 1TB)!

FranciscoFrancisco Top Provider
edited October 2017 in General

I'm taking it back baby!

Meme's aside, we're looking to get a beta out in the next month or two so I wanted to get some feedback so I can get a feel for interest.

The plan right now is to hit $5/TB/month with performance in the 100MB/sec for sequential and 100 IOPs per volume. The product is aimed to be more for bulk storage for backups, plex, CDN caches, crap like that. Blocks are in chunks of 1TB up to 16TB. You can buy as many as you want and plug up to 8 to a single KVM Slice.

The plans must be attached to a slice, this isn't S3 object store, but you it could be if you roll your own. Stallion's API will be expanded to allow you to migrate volumes between VM's

Current storage customers will be moved onto this platform and will have their CPU/RAM bumped heavily.

Any and all feedback to https://goo.gl/forms/bXaxqi4zkt9dYoDE2 would be much appreciated!

Francisco

BuyVM - Dedicated KVM Slices / Anycast Support! / Stallion Control Panel / Windows 2008, 2012, & 2016! / Unmetered Bandwidth!
BuyShared - Shared & Reseller Hosting / cPanel + Softaculous + CloudLinux / Pure SSD! / Free Dedicated IP Address

Comments

• WSSWSS Member

"Welcome to Franny's. Get a slice 'n' a slab."
    Not sure if I'm buying hosting or an NeXT bundle.

Color me interested; Minio project may be coming up.

I won't be back until @bsdguy is released.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Provider

@WSS said:
    "Welcome to Franny's. Get a slice 'n' a slab."
    Not sure if I'm buying hosting or an NeXT bundle.

Color me interested; Minio project may be coming up.

The Slice addons are known as "toppings".

Francisco

BuyVM - Dedicated KVM Slices / Anycast Support! / Stallion Control Panel / Windows 2008, 2012, & 2016! / Unmetered Bandwidth!
    BuyShared - Shared & Reseller Hosting / cPanel + Softaculous + CloudLinux / Pure SSD! / Free Dedicated IP Address
  • I read on LET you've been slabbing for years...

So nice to see something fresh in the market.

I think your questionnaire needs a little improvement:

• You ask for email, so maybe "please provide us a way to contact you" could just be a yes/no radio
    • The only feedback is "how many volumes and how big"? Don't you want some feedback on pricing, offering, etc.?

$5/mo/TB is not bad - similar to B2 or Glacier, cheaper than S3. But it's really (at least) $3.50/mo (for the slice) + $5/mo or $8.50/mo. However, it's different than those - it's "cloud storage with an attached engine".

Or in your equine world, not just a stagecoach but a team of horses as well :-)

Francisco said: Stallion's API will be expanded to allow you to migrate volumes between VM's

Just in the same DC or across the entire BuyVM empire?

Thanked by 1Aluminat

My Advice: VPS Advice

For LET support, please click here.

raindog308 said: $5/mo/TB is not bad - similar to B2 or Glacier, cheaper than S3. But it's really (at least) $3.50/mo (for the slice) + $5/mo or $8.50/mo. However, it's different than those - it's "cloud storage with an attached engine".

Fair, but past the $3.50 buy in it's all $5.00. You'd be $13/month or so for 2TB of storage, that's OVH pricing and gain the perks of caching and RAID.

raindog308 said: Just in the same DC or across the entire BuyVM empire?

Vegas to start to get a feel for things. From there we'll do NY, and if I can make room, Luxembourg.

This product would also bring our nodes to 10Gbit connectivity.

Francisco

• jarjar Provider

Ugh, you're gonna make me move my backups again at that rate.

Thanked by 2raindog308 netomx
  • qpsqps Member, Provider

Nice; congrats on the new offering.

@qps said:
    Nice; congrats on the new offering.

Still a ways out, but as I said, I'm mostly looking for a feel for things before we get our initial beta rolled out.

Francisco

• I like the pricing on the block storage but this would seem to be for existing customers only as you are perpetually out of stock on slices - which will be needed to attach the storage to.

Thanked by 1Francisco

Weblogics said: I like the pricing on the block storage but this would seem to be for existing customers only as you are perpetually out of stock on slices - which will be needed to attach the storage to.

I would be bringing another rack of slice nodes online to feed the storage usage :D

Francisco

Thanked by 2Weblogics vimalware
  • nice, count with me.

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • IshaqIshaq Member, Provider

dedicados said: nice, count with me.

1.. 2..

Your turn ;)

Thanked by 3Amitz Ympker netomx
    [BudgetNode] DDoS Protected. 7 Locations (US/EU). Check out our latest offer!
  • hzrhzr Member
    edited October 2017

I will take too. What kind of total price in storage KVM for what specs (you mention increased specs)

• uh, all small slices are out of stock =(

@hzr said:
    I will take too. What kind of total price in storage KVM for what specs (you mention increased specs)

For the current storage people? We'll bump their RAM to match that of a similar priced slice. We're already doing this for people, just haven't made it retroactive yet.

We'll likely use something like E5 2670's or similar for processors. Doing E3's won't be possible since then we're selling half an E3 for $30/month. With the E5's people can keep their 4 cores for $30.00/month.

Francisco

@dedicados said:
    uh, all small slices are out of stock =(

The product won't be available for a few months, i'm just collecting feedback.

We'll have more stock tomorrow, and whenever this launches i'll bring an entire rack of nodes up.

• I'm in for at least 2TB volume, and if I move Plex another 5TB+.

Thanked by 1Francisco

1/1024th SysAdmin

@Harambe said:
    I'm in for at least 2TB volume, and if I move Plex another 5TB+.

Neato :)

Mostly just trying to get a feel for what size drive would be popular so I can plan iops accordingly. While I'll (hopefully) overbuild on things, I don't want to be loading up TB's and TB's of cache and it's just not being used.

Francisco

• Good pricing. Will consider when you get it running in NY.

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • Francisco said: The product won't be available for a few months, i'm just collecting feedback.

thats good,

• @Francisco said:
    Neato :)

Mostly just trying to get a feel for what size drive would be popular so I can plan iops accordingly. While I'll (hopefully) overbuild on things, I don't want to be loading up TB's and TB's of cache and it's just not being used.

Francisco

Just guessing, but I doubt you'll need TBs of cache per node - probably more effective to go with more, smaller caching drives.

Useful question to ask on survey might be average file size/what types of files you'd want to store. I'm personally looking at more media storage & VM snapshots, so thousands of 1-4GB and dozens of 15-100GB files.

1/1024th SysAdmin

Harambe said: Just guessing, but I doubt you'll need TBs of cache per node - probably more effective to go with more, smaller caching drives.

Have to see, but this is what I'm thinking as well.

Francisco

• Why not making a 0.5TB option as well, it will make a lot of people interested as well

Thanked by 2sayem314 jholycloud
  • Yea and a 50% off on Black Friday. Great!

Thanked by 2netomx jholycloud

grape

• Is this just JBOD space basically or is there gonna be some sort of redundancy?

Will shill for Pop-Tarts(must be strawberry flavour).

• @Francisco said:

Meme's aside, we're looking to get a beta out in the next month or two so I wanted to get some feedback so I can get a feel for interest.

@corbpie said:
    Yea and a 50% off on Black Friday. Great!

I think you have your answer on that ;)

@Setsura said:
    Is this just JBOD space basically or is there gonna be some sort of redundancy?

There is redundancy and then a cache layer above. On paper it should run well but that's the point of the beta when we do it :)

Francisco

@Rami said:
    Why not making a 0.5TB option as well, it will make a lot of people interested as well

A possible, need to feel things out :)

Francisco

• Sounds good. Bring 'em on!

• "next month or two"

@Francisco is such a tease.

• @Francisco said:

@Rami said:
    Why not making a 0.5TB option as well, it will make a lot of people interested as well

A possible, need to feel things out :)

Francisco

There many other providers with .5 TB storage plans. Stick with a minimum 1TB plan which will appeal to more and quite possibly help keep away the high maintenance cheapskates..

Thanked by 1T_Abraham
  • @raindog308 said:
    "next month or two"
    @Francisco is such a tease.

Someone's getting coal for Christmas.

I won't be back until @bsdguy is released.

• A slab, you say?

I could see using that for a nice self-contained WebDAV or OwnCloud store...

Thanked by 1Francisco

Are You a LET Hoarder? | Currently Enjoying: NodePing Server Monitoring | Good LEB Value: Servercheap

• Just asking, raid 1 or 10?

Also will be avail in both your dcs?

@DXD said:
    Just asking, raid 1 or 10?

Haven't decided which raid level, that's part of what the testing will be for :) I'd like to go with raid6 or similar with a lot of cache to help smooth it out.

Francisco

• @Francisco said:

@DXD said:

Haven't decided which raid level, that's part of what the testing will be for :) I'd like to go with raid6 or similar with a lot of cache to help smooth it out.

Francisco

Nice. Just asking another stuff , are the disk attachable ? E.g can migrate from vm to vm when required.

@DXD said:

@Francisco said:

@DXD said:

Francisco

Nice. Just asking another stuff , are the disk attachable ? E.g can migrate from vm to vm when required.

Yep, via stallion or api.

Francisco

• Not sure if it's been asked (did a quick read). Are the blocks expandable or a fixed size? Would be great if I could expand an existing block on-demand, but don't know if the logistics would be a problem on the back-end.

• @telephone said:
    Not sure if it's been asked (did a quick read). Are the blocks expandable or a fixed size? Would be great if I could expand an existing block on-demand, but don't know if the logistics would be a problem on the back-end.

I guess you would have to do a backup of your backup then...

Growing is possible, shrinking isn't.

Francisco

• Francisco said: Growing is possible, shrinking isn't.

Though presumably one could allocate a smaller volume, copy over, and cancel the first.

What's the billing cycle btw? Monthly?

@raindog308 said:

Francisco said: Growing is possible, shrinking isn't.

Though presumably one could allocate a smaller volume, copy over, and cancel the first.

What's the billing cycle btw? Monthly?

It'll be billed monthly.

I don't think I would want to try to keep up with hourly billed 100TB volumes and things like that, it'd be too costly for a non VC group.

Francisco

• dccdcc Member, Provider

Can this scale to, say, 1.5PB & sustain 4-7Gbps constant write?

dcc said: Can this scale to, say, 1.5PB & sustain 4-7Gbps constant write?

The initial deployment is around 1.5PB and we can plug in more nodes as demand shows. As for write performance, each node should have no problem sustaining 2 - 3GB/sec of sustained writes/reads each. The big issue is always going to be IOPs on random work, but given what my current storage nodes are showing, we're smack dab right around the 30/70 W/R split.

This platform isn't based on ceph, rather it's something we're putting together ourselves. A lot of our work so far has been on paper and going off past experiences on our current storage product and other things like that.

Ideally the beta will get a lot of disgustingly abusive customers that will really push the platform and show us what a single pod can handle.

The beta will likely last around 2 - 3 months. By the end of it, it'll either be a total failure and one of my staffers is getting a new Linux ISO box, or it'll work well and we try to take over the world!

Francisco

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • This sounds great for my purposes (cold archives) and I'm up for it, probably about 2TB to start. LV is my preferred location.

You do realize what will happen to your outbound bandwidth bills as most of LET launches $3.50 slices as seedboxes backed by these things. 100 iops will probably also draw some complaints the way time4vps does now.

I'd also like seeing some SSD block storage if that's of any interest. DO has that for .10/GB and Online.net (RPN SAN storage) has it for 30 euro/256GB in high availability (replicated across 2 data centers, so about 7 cents per GB in single copy.

Yes I think raid 6 or a Ceph cluster is the way to go, since multi-drive failures are a thing and will become more of one.

It would be great to have some serious compute power near the storage too, either in the form of a cheap dedi somewhere in Fiberhub, or if you ever break down and do shorter term rentals (daily or 48h or weekly would be fine if hourly is too "cloudy") I could see occasionally wanting to spin up a max-sized slice for a big compute task.

We have fully unmetered ports on our network so that's not a big concern.

As for the 100 iops, isn't timevps a lot less than that? As well as slower CPU and things like that?

Remember, the storage is plugged into a Slice so you got all the CPU power you want to buy.

As I mentioned, I'm not sure if I would want to try to handly hourly billing. It can end up with me having to spin up mountains of gear that isn't making me money 24/7, like I would want.

At this point we're looking to pick a few winners we want to put our time & effort behind and focus on that. If we end up doing block storage, slices, hourly billing, and who knows what else, we'll be blowing cash out the door like mad and have a hard time grasping what's really moving and what's lagging behind.

Francisco

• I think time4vps claims to supply 200iops. I don't know if they live up to it though.

Yes I understand that slices have unmetered bw, but you can do that while keeping speed tolerable because not that many people are hosing the port (I hope). All I'm saying is that storage slabs will probably change the demand profile.

Hourly billing for storage slabs would be crazy, but for cpu it would be very useful if the economics can work out.

The issue with using slices for cpu tasks is that I can't afford to keep a 32gb slice idle most of the time, just for the occasional 24h burst of computation (that's basically how I use my Hetzner dedi). I'm happy to have an idle 1gb slice (I can afford that) but it would be great to be able to spin up a bunch more cores once in a while. Again yeah, I take your point that you'd need a ton more gear for that, but a guy can dream...

willie said: Yes I understand that slices have unmetered bw, but you can do that while keeping speed tolerable because not that many people are hosing the port (I hope). All I'm saying is that storage slabs will probably change the demand profile.

We'll keep an eye on it :) We do reserve the right to rate limit people to 100mbit, and that is more likely to happen with the Slabs.

I dunno, I don't care what TimeVPS or scamsolutions is doing with their storage. I have plenty of people that do tons of work on their slices and don't come near 100 iops, so I don't see it being too big of an issue for most.

We're in uncharted waters with this. All I can hope is that the research & work we've done so far goes like we're wanting :)

Francisco

Thanked by 1varunchopra
  • Francisco said: scamsolutions

• What locations?

@drdrake said:
    What locations?

Vegas to start with the others depending on how that goes.

Francisco