Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bought a VPS.. now what?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Bought a VPS.. now what?

I bought a VPS. Never used one before. No idea where to go from here. Just want to learn how to use one, set up accounts, wordpress, etc.. Any advice? Tutorials? I bought it with stablehost by the way.

Comments

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

Google is your best friend when it comes to learning the basics.

"How to add linux user"
    "How to setup LAMP stack on linux" (or LEMP for Nginx)

Check out Centminmod, it does most of the work for you if you want to setup something like Wordpress on Nginx. Stablehost is a more premium provider, so they should offer some basic support also.

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • qtwrkqtwrk Member
    edited October 2017

google is your friend.

1. power on VPS.

2. use a SSH tool like putty if you on windows, to login your VPS.

3. install whatever you want , LAMP LNMP LNMPA or visual panel is easier , like CyberPanel

4. upload whatever you want , like wordpress to server.

5. configure and set up.

6. advance level , how to properly secure your VPS, harden SSH , firewall...etc

again , google is your friend.

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • It's a Debian 8.0 with Stablehost.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited October 2017

@qtwrk said:
    6. advance level , how to properly secure your VPS, harden SSH , firewall...etc

= Drama

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran
    edited October 2017

qtwrk said: advance level , how to properly secure your VPS, harden SSH , firewall...etc

the easier way to secure, as soon as login into SSH type:

sudo poweroff

or

shutdown -h now

or

halt

or

poweroff

and Enter to execute the task!

• WSSWSS Member

You need to learn how to admin a *IX/Linux host. If that's too much, cut your losses now and pay for a shared hosting provider. You don't need to learn anything, and they probably know nearly as much!

• @adacon said:
    I bought a VPS. Never used one before. No idea where to go from here. Just want to learn how to use one, set up accounts, wordpress, etc.. Any advice? Tutorials? I bought it with stablehost by the way.

Good!

Now go ahead and open a chargeback then open a new post here at LET ranting how your host terminated you without warning.

Thanked by 2pike flatland_spider
  • @zafouhar said:

@adacon said:

Good!

Now go ahead and open a chargeback then open a new post here at LET ranting how your host terminated you without warning.

Why open a chargeback when you just brought it when you can open one the day before the VPS expires?

• What now? Just buy yet another vos and let it idle then open new thread.

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

DigitalOcean tutorials are on point and cover a wide spectrum of things to install and configure within your VPS. First thing I think you should look into would be firewall rules and OS hardening. Also look into security tools like fail2ban.

Once you got the core down, you can start fiddling with some self hosted applications to your heart's content. Check out this list here for anything you could possibly imagine doing on your server: https://github.com/Kickball/awesome-selfhosted

• Why?! Why do something with it and put it to work? You can play with it and let it idle, like many of us do.

Thanked by 1doghouch
  • Here's the tutorial I used to get started: https://www.mckerracher.net/vps

I wouldn't skip any steps except maybe where it says to configure the firewall right after installing Webmin- from what I can tell the latest version of Webmin uses FirewallD and automatically sets it up for basic security. Also Fail2ban is now automatically installed and setup with basic settings.

After that you can create a "Virtual Server" and install Wordpress, PHPMyAdmin, and a few other apps from within Webmin using their Install Scripts feature.

Tutorial is well done and easy to follow for newbies.

• Head over to the offers section and buy a few more

• rm -rf --no-preserve-root /

Thanked by 2WebProject RickBakkr
  • @robohost said:

rm -rf --no-preserve-root

This will install cPanel and wordpress in one command

Thanked by 1WebProject
  • oneilonlineoneilonline Member, Host Rep

@adacon sorry for the heat, this is a pretty technical group, the beginners are the summer/winter/weekend providers ;)

@vovler said:

@robohost said:

rm -rf --no-preserve-root

This will install cPanel and wordpress in one command

OMG LOL and the license? Please validate ;)

Thanked by 1WebProject
  • Go check out some tutorials on LEB, dah85.com and digitalocean for a start.. you'll find something to learn and have fun with, that's why you got a VPS after all isn't it? :)

• subjugatingsubjugating Banned, Member

What is it that you are looking for? Just start by setting up things one by one. One step at time. One of the best tutorials are available either in official docs of a project or DigitalOcean / Linode like provider's website.

Just start and you would be able to finish everything you seek in a month's time with proper understanding of configurations.

• The coolest thing you could do with a VPS would be setting up an Iodine DNS tunnel

• @dahartigan said:
    The coolest thing you could do with a VPS would be setting up an Iodine DNS tunnel

Really works?

• @Plioser said:

@dahartigan said:
    The coolest thing you could do with a VPS would be setting up an Iodine DNS tunnel

Really works?

Really really :)

Thanked by 1Plioser
  • Thanks to those who provided real advice. I have no intentions of becoming a host. This is for learning purposes and a project later on.

• If you don't want a panel, then you need a LAMP or a LEMP stack, Digital Ocean's tutorials show you how to install one so you can use wordpress.

If you can't figure it out, consider CyberPnel, a new beta web panel based on OpenLiteSpeed instead but it's speedy and free! It'll set up everything you'll need, and I think there was a one-click installer for wordpress too built in, haven't tried it however. You'll need to reinstall your VPS to CentOS 7 to be able to run such web panel however.

• First suggestion
    You need to ask yourself.
    What do I want to use with this VPS?

If you want to create a website from wordpress for example, you can install Ubuntu OS.

or if you want to add a panel, you can install Centos

• BoxOfSnooBoxOfSnoo Member
    edited October 2017

I really like VestaCP. Set that up and you can be your own little shared hosting provider.

• JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited November 2017

Now we play the waiting game.

PS: Use it to learn how to linux. Break it while learning several times and rebuild it, in the end settle for some nice little service, like dns, own web site or video theatre/storage.

• @Janevski said:
    Now we play the waiting game.

I like that game, but I prefer to play it with beer.

Thanked by 1Janevski
  • agentmishraagentmishra Member, Host Rep

@adacon said:

i would love to help you, but to be true, it would be difficult posting things here, as it would be too long.

and also since i do not have a tutorial build up my self, i am again unable to post things in a few lines

but yes, if you wish me to help you, i would love you to get on to skype with me, and then i shall ask you for a RDS/L and i would then do it for you and you may record the session and keep it for your personal learning

and yes, since i said it would be help, it would of-course be free.

also, i am not always available online, so you may post me your skype id in my PM after hooking on to my skype id which i feel is mentioned in my signature

since i live in India, and am mostly online at nights IST, that timing will be suitable for me, say something after/around 10:00PM IST

• hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider
    edited November 2017

The profile picture looks creepy