Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Average usage of VM disks ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Average usage of VM disks ?

Hi,

This is an important question for providers. What is the average usage of disk for 100VM.
I know numbers can be different for KVM / OpenVZ. I am interested in knowing what the numbers are.

I believe 10GB/VM should be the average, what do you guys think ?

Thanks

Comments

• Coming up to the limits of overselling?

For me, depends upon what the machine is planned to do, and on that plan I'll sort out the specs. So a backup vps has other requirements than a webserver, or a database node.

• You have to ask yourself if you have multiple servers, are the IPs in a VLAN and what else you can do to fix issues otherwise you'll face problems.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Just start and run your hosting company already, stop asking us to do it for you before you even launch it.... jeez man, you must have asked a question about every single aspect of running a server in a VPS environment so far, just get a server and run it, do not over commit resources, if you are selling 2TB worth of disk space have 2TB worth of disk space, same with Ram etc....

Thanked by 1Amfy
  • ztecztec Member

If you want to oversell ''correctly'' then that should be done by analyzing your current customers. Which you don't have yet.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@darknessends said:
    I believe 10GB/VM should be the average, what do you guys think ?

Thanks

depends on project, some customers are using maximum of 10GB on top of OS, some more, the biggest I have seen is 80GB, better is not to oversell.

• AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep

I just totally read the title wrong, i could of sweared it said 'Average proce for unmetered disk VM's'

• @AnthonySmith said:
    Just start and run your hosting company already, stop asking us to do it for you before you even launch it.... jeez man, you must have asked a question about every single aspect of running a server in a VPS environment so far, just get a server and run it, do not over commit resources, if you are selling 2TB worth of disk space have 2TB worth of disk space, same with Ram etc....

At least he's making more progress than zuanni or whatever his name is :D