Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

singapore / "asian-optimized" shared dedicated slice/servers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

singapore / "asian-optimized" shared dedicated slice/servers

seizureseizure Member
edited October 2017 in Requests

came across buyvm, but their routing isn't good to Asia (not China).

today i saw DGChost with "smart servers" that seem like they offer dedicated resources but could find no reviews.

(just some seemingly poorly orchestrated buyover of another host's non-performing accounts...)

Q. are there other similar providers with good routing to Singapore offering shared dedicated servers?

i'm happy to pay about $40-$50 for 4c/16gb ram, 10tb traffic on 100mbps (or better!) but would need about 2 of these on physically separate servers... platter disks okay, but SSD preferred (i will only be using < 5GB local storage) no raid needed.

any leads most welcomed. no KVM offers, thank you. cheap DS with good latency to asia are okay.

thank you for your time!

Comments

• winnervpswinnervps Member, Host Rep

Hi @seizure
    What are you looking for with the "good latency". I mean what kind of apps will you be running? (is it a audio/video streaming or game server or data mining or perhaps something related to VPN).

I see some point here, but couldn't comprehend more:a good latency to Asia and a good routing to Singapore. Then, perhaps a Singapore location will suit you?

Would this model fit https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/126167/asia-jakarta-core-i5-qc-4-gb-250gb-hdd-vt-ready-49

• nielsniels Member
    edited October 2017

HostHatch ( @Abdullah ) has a dedicated resources plan (4c/16gb) for $40/m in Los Angeles, but not sure how well their routing is to Asia. You could optionally test with a Voxility IP as well.

• No KVM but you asking for semi dedicated server/slice? Which is usually using VPS but under different name.

Ask leaseweb if they can costumize vps as per your requirements, they offer more b/w than any sg provider that I know

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

Interested in HK dedicated servers?

Would you consider a dual core CPU if it was dedicated (like an i3-3220) or is 4 core a must?

How much data transfer/bandwidth do you need?

Which locations do you need low latency to?

• hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider

KVM , smart servers and slices are one and same thing with different names .

Thanked by 1NanoG6
  • GTHostGTHost Member, Patron Provider

guys, when you offer your dedicated servers or VPS with good local connectivity, then don't forget to show your public looking glass.

• bapbap Member
    edited October 2017

They have a good price : "Standard Global with Best Effort China Bandwidth"

OVH Singapore will cost $99?

$40-$50 : no idea if any offer with this range exists.

• @GTHost said:
    guys, when you offer your dedicated servers or VPS with good local connectivity, then don't forget to show your public looking glass.

WHT comes to LET?

• seizureseizure Member
    edited October 2017

we currently have 1 DS (EG-32) with OVH in singapore (500mbps) and 1 DS (Xeon single CPU with 32gb ram) on a 1gbps business fibre physically located in singapore.

both are nodes in a memcached-type DBS.

we need 2 additional nodes (service) for our database. we are not running a hosting/media services... it's a database of products and our users are based in singapore.

the products and prices in the db gets updated every day. the static images are already hosted separately on AWS.

client software (multiple) -> load balancer -> mobile app server (multiple) -> db server (multiple)

due to the number of hops involved (we'd like to load 100 items at a time if possible), our assumption is that better latency = faster loading time.

our servers (singapore) to aws (singapore) is something like <2.

our test servers in the US to aws (singapore) is something like 180... which is not very good when we are testing our software, but we try to accept it.

i asked about good latency to singapore from the US as opposed to china... because i think most people think asia = china, and because DS/semi-dedicated prices outside of singapore are cheaper.

@winnervps the offer seems to have expired, but i will contact them to ask.

@niels - i will check them out and see what it comes to. will even sign up and try if they offer refunds...!

@sibaper - i have approached LW on multiple occasions but they have not got back to me. the most recent time was about 18 hours ago when they promised a call back after not finding any of my previous requests. i will try again... but...

do you think their virtual servers are comparable to "semi-dedicated"? i've looked at their fair use policy (googled) a few times and i really don't want an arbitrary suspension because of this.

@randvegetta - details listed above. i'm not fussy about processors (ie, i-processors are okay), but we need a minimum of 4 cores.

more cores and more ram is better than high clock frequency. HK is okay - we are using a few HK-based servers now and some work acceptably.

we're okay with 5-10TB traffic at 500mbps or better if possible (lower bandwidth is okay too if the products load quickly in our app). would prefer if there is an option to buy more traffic.

@hostdare - this is not good to hear... but very enlightening. thank you...

@bap - cheapest DS with OVH SG is now 108 instead of $99 (SP-32). they are offering a "discovery" promo for their SG VPS SSD which i am trialing one. unfortunately, not enough traffic for our case (throttled to 10mbps after 4tb)

as for gigsgigscloud - i've seen them. not enough ram nor cores. also, we are located in asia but not in/near china...

@GThost - i agree. but in the example of DGC - there is no looking glass, and the only way to find out is to take a leap of faith... that they will give me a refund if things don't work out.

• seizureseizure Member
    edited October 2017

thanks for everybody's response.

i have replied above. i hope i didn't miss anyone out.

thanks a bunch!!!

• seizureseizure Member
    edited October 2017

mtr cut n paste is messed up here.

deleted.

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

seizure said: @randvegetta - details listed above. i'm not fussy about processors (ie, i-processors are okay), but we need a minimum of 4 cores.

more cores and more ram is better than high clock frequency. HK is okay - we are using a few HK-based servers now and some work acceptably.

we're okay with 5-10TB traffic at 500mbps or better if possible (lower bandwidth is okay too if the products load quickly in our app). would prefer if there is an option to buy more traffic.

That's quite a lot of traffic by Asian standards, but if you dont need China and if by 'Asia' you mean SG, TW, JP and HK, and not really too fussed about other locations, then it could be possible using the cheaper routes if you lower your bandwidth requirements a tad.

I'll PM you with more details.