Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Life after CrashPlan: why they sucked, why Backblaze & B2 suck, Glacier vs Others - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Life after CrashPlan: why they sucked, why Backblaze & B2 suck, Glacier vs Others

Comments

• WSSWSS Member

@doghouch said:
    @IAlwaysBeCoding 5 photos a year? I just checked and surprisingly, I take around 1500 pics a year, which is around 300x more than what you take.

Selfies not included.

• edited October 2017

@doghouch said:
    @IAlwaysBeCoding 5 photos a year? I just checked and surprisingly, I take around 1500 pics a year, which is around 300x more than what you take.

I don't know if you can tell but I don't have any friends that I keep up with in real life. Most of my time I spent it plotting how to push @WSS around. @WSS is just the only person I have that I can talk to and would actually understand me. Is like he gets me. This is why I stick around here.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

doghouch said: @IAlwaysBeCoding 5 photos a year? I just checked and surprisingly, I take around 1500 pics a year, which is around 300x more than what you take.

$ find /mirror1/pictures/2015* -print | wc -l
    $ find /mirror1/pictures/2016* -print | wc -l
    $ find /mirror1/pictures/2017* -print | wc -l
    $ du -sh /mirror1/pictures
    221G    /mirror1/pictures/

Just looked and I took 78 at my daughter's birthday party last night. It's just so easy to do. Sure, not all of them are worthy of long-term storage but am I going to carefully consider each one, or just drag them all to my pictures repository? The latter.

78 * 4MB = 312MB just like that.

Thanked by 1doghouch
  • WSSWSS Member

Why the fuck are you tagging me? Do I look like a fence!?

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

raindog308 said: $ find /mirror1/pictures/2015* -print | wc -l

$ find /mirror1/pictures/2016* -print | wc -l
    $ find /mirror1/pictures/2017* -print | wc -l
    $ du -sh /mirror1/pictures
    221G /mirror1/pictures/

Please tell me you're using something like Google Photos or Amazon Photos? Their facial recognition is amazing and makes searching and sorting through pictures effortless. Drop all of the images and videos into one directory (no need to sort anything manually) and they handle the sorting for you with insane accuracy.

• KuJoe said: Please tell me you're using something like Google Photos or Amazon Photos?

I moved out of Google Photos earlier this year because I couldn't stand how clunky the interface was. I haven't tried Amazon Photos.

I've got about 270k photos from the past 16 years currently being managed by Digikam, and replicated elsewhere for safekeeping with Syncthing.

KuJoe said: Please tell me you're using something like Google Photos or Amazon Photos? Their facial recognition is amazing and makes searching and sorting through pictures effortless. Drop all of the images and videos into one directory (no need to sort anything manually) and they handle the sorting for you with insane accuracy.

No because then they will steal my soul with their cloud mind control technologies which I hear are no longer blocked by thin aluminum helmets!

Actually...no I'm not. I'm using a directory convention my wife invented before she met me. But I'll check it out. I hate working with photos...unfortunately, pics are on a NAS and even with gig-E, there's enough lag to drag down a desktop experience.

Damian said: I've got about 270k photos from the past 16 years currently being managed by Digikam, and replicated elsewhere for safekeeping with Syncthing.

Digikam looks nice.

How are any of these tools with multiple users all accessing the same set of photos?

edited October 2017

Damian said: I moved out of Google Photos earlier this year because I couldn't stand how clunky the interface was.

It's improved quite a bit over the past few months, at least now they have real control over sharing albums and not just creating a link and hoping nobody figures it out.

Also Amazon's interface is significantly better but their facial recognition is not as good so I use both for redundancy.

raindog308 said: Actually...no I'm not. I'm using a directory convention my wife invented before she met me.

I tried the directory method, but then one day I wanted to find every picture my daughter was in and it was a pain to go through each directory. Google's facial recognition is so good it was able to identify my daughter at any age (including less than a year old) and also pictures where she was in a costume with her face partially concealed. It's also able to pick out people from reflections in the images which is crazy but when it comes to animals they still need some work (it still tags my greyhound as a cat or horse sometimes).

So a I signed up for the 15 day trial with Backblaze Personal to give it a try... here's the network performance results so far:

Automatic Throttle (Default): 6-7Mbps
    Manual Throttle (Faster Backups + 20 Threads): 60-65Mbps

What's weird is I only see 4 "thread" processes running in Task Manager so I'm not sure how they handle threads.

Performance is definitely good, but that's the only thing better than CrashPlan at this point. Unsure if I'll end up paying for it or not.

KuJoe said: Automatic Throttle (Default): 6-7Mbps Manual Throttle (Faster Backups + 20 Threads): 60-65Mbps

You can do 65Mbps up? Did you move to South Korea or something? I had to buy a crazy Comcast package just to get 10.

edited October 2017

@raindog308 said:

KuJoe said: Automatic Throttle (Default): 6-7Mbps Manual Throttle (Faster Backups + 20 Threads): 60-65Mbps

You can do 65Mbps up? Did you move to South Korea or something? I had to buy a crazy Comcast package just to get 10.

I'm running it on a VPS so 65Mbps on a 1Gbps uplink is kinda sad but better than hubiC and CrashPlan so far. My home network is only 50Mbps up though so at least I could saturate that link also. :)

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited October 2017

raindog308 said: You can do 65Mbps up? Did you move to South Korea or something? I had to buy a crazy Comcast package just to get 10.

65 Mbps is not a lot even outside south korea, I do regularly ten times that and I have been talking to people in other countries in EU which do regularly more (than 65 Mbps). Maybe you mean MB?

edited October 2017

Bah, should have not hit enter again...

edited October 2017

Maounique said: Maybe you mean MB?

Not in the US, 90% of the US ISP upload speeds are slower than our upload speeds on our cell phones because of laws put in place to protect ISPs from competition.

• It doesn't even matter what speeds you have you'll eat it up with the limits they have
    1TB is not enough

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited October 2017

@Maounique said:
    Bah, should have not hit enter again...

Congrats on the provider tag! What are you going to sell?

• WSSWSS Member

@doghouch said:
    Congrats on the provider tag? What are you going to sell?

Twisted ideologies.

edited October 2017

doghouch said: Congrats on the provider tag! What are you going to sell?

I am not selling anything but if anyone has a problem with a prometeus product (www.prometeus.net www.iwstack.com www.iperweb.com www.overzold.com etc) can tag me and i will try to answer as long as the answer is for the general public and not for a ticket. Even so, send me your ticket number and I will investigate.

WSS said: Twisted ideologies.

I am deeply conservative, I want to conserve things like democracy, human rights, rule of law, freedom of choice and expression, separation of state from the church, the right to an indoctrination free education system many more things that most people today find appalling, a vestige of the decadent past.

KuJoe said: laws put in place to protect ISPs from competition.

Hum, if we are to look at it this way, i think the upload throttling is more to block filesharing (IP rights). ISPs probably have less money to buy politicians than RIAA and the like.

Thanked by 2M66B vimalware

@Maounique said:

>

KuJoe said: laws put in place to protect ISPs from competition.

Hum, if we are to look at it this way, i think the upload throttling is more to block filesharing (IP rights). ISPs probably have less money to buy politicians than RIAA and the like.

That's the sad part, the laws were put into effect back in 1997 so they don't need to lobby anything. The protections are already in place that prevents additional ISPs from forming and allows the current ISPs to split up their territories among themselves as they wish to ensure they don't compete with each other too much. In some states it's even illegal for local city governments to build their own networks and form their own ISP for their citizens. Google tried to start their own ISP in the US (Google Fiber), but they quickly realized that no matter how much money they had it wasn't enough to get the other ISPs let them play so now Google is looking at using wireless technology because it's basically impossible for them to rent or build their own wired network legally.

Why some ISPs don't match their upload and download speeds I don't know, but the reason we don't have fast internet in most of America is because the ISPs have no reason to offer it.

https://gizmodo.com/5830956/why-the-government-wont-protect-you-from-getting-screwed-by-your-cable-company

https://www.theverge.com/2015/4/1/8321437/maps-show-why-internet-is-more-expensive-us-europe-competition

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014/02/isp-lobby-has-already-won-limits-on-public-broadband-in-20-states/

Thanked by 1Hassan

Sorry to derail this thread, but for anybody else who wants to get mad at US ISPs, here's a quote from a good article I recommend (sources included):

Here is one of the key truths about the cable industry: the major cable providers in this country do not compete with one another. The operators clustered all cable during the summer of 1997—the “Summer of Love,” according to Leo Hindery, then-President of Tele-Communications, Inc., and the architect of the effort—pursuing swaps and partnerships that put most markets in the U.S. in the hands of a single operator. Clustering continued when Comcast and Time Warner Cable divided the assets of the bankrupt Adelphia Communications in 2006. On the national level, the cable industry appears deceptively competitive. Comcast—the largest cable company by far—has about a 30% share of the nationwide market, and Time Warner Cable has about a 17% share. But these figures obscure the fact that the big cable companies never enter each other’s territories. This is a physical, geographically bound business of big pipe monopolies, and Comcast dominates in Boston, Philadelphia, Chicago, San Francisco, Atlanta, Washington, D.C., Houston, Seattle, and Detroit. Comcast has chosen its territories well: 94.4% of the U.S. population and 94.4% of U.S. households with an income of at least $50,000 live in the thirty-nine states (plus D.C.) served by Comcast. Brian Roberts, CEO of Comcast, has said that he would like to see Comcast increase its share of the high-speed data market from 33% to 90–100%—after all, Comcast has just one competitor: Verizon’s FIOS service.

http://scrawford.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/The-communications-crisis-in-America-final.pdf

• raindog308 said: How are any of these tools with multiple users all accessing the same set of photos?

Digikam should be fine. When you install and set it up, you set two distinct directories: one directory where you have all of your photos stored, and another directory for Digikam's database. As long as you don't put the database in the same directory as your photos, multiple people should be able to interact with it without issue.

• @raindog308 said:

Harzem said: idrive.com is offering 2TB for $6.95 for the first year if you are coming from a competing product. Just saying.

Hmmm...

https://www.trustpilot.com/review/www.idrive.com

Well, my experience for more than a year has been positive, I don't earn a dime for advertising them, but if others have faced so many problems, you may choose not to gamble.

• There really isn't a great solution. Everything kind of has to be piecemealed together in a mixed environment.

Lots of Windows people like Acronis (https://www.acronis.com/en-us/personal/true-image-features/), and it does provide system images for baremetal recovery, which I'm kind of envious of.

I used to use Cobian Backup when I had to deal with Windows, but I'm not sure if it's still maintained. It was good for basic backups and used VSS to get around locked files.

For my stuff, I'm running a storage server from Dedispec with a 100 Mbps unmetered port. (http://www.dedispec.com/storage.php#storage) It's a FreeBSD box using ZFS for the filesystem. Dedup isn't on, but compression is.

BorgBackup on several clients is the only thing using it as a backup target at the moment, but I'll have Minio running shortly for ad hoc backups via shell scripts. Gitea and Pydio are also on deck, but they're not strictly related to backups.

I also have stuff uploaded to Google Drive/Photos in order to have a couple of recovery options.

Restic (https://restic.github.io/) is an interesting project, and it can use S3/Minio as a backup target. It might use deduplication, but I'm not 100% on that.

@KuJoe said:
    That's the sad part, the laws were put into effect back in 1997 so they don't need to lobby anything. The protections are already in place that prevents additional ISPs from forming and allows the current ISPs to split up their territories among themselves as they wish to ensure they don't compete with each other too much. In some states it's even illegal for local city governments to build their own networks and form their own ISP for their citizens. Google tried to start their own ISP in the US (Google Fiber), but they quickly realized that no matter how much money they had it wasn't enough to get the other ISPs let them play so now Google is looking at using wireless technology because it's basically impossible for them to rent or build their own wired network legally.

You're missing the part where it's incredibly capital intense to build a WAN network, and that is not something investors are going to stomach. It's not so much the other ISPs blocking entry as it is money creates a natural barrier to entry. (I'm not saying other ISP wouldn't scream about the competition and try all sorts of tricks, but first you have to have the money to start building which is hard to come by.)

Google picked the low hanging fruit of dark fiber, and once that ran out, they were faced with having to file permits and dig.

edited November 2017

Romanian providers tried the monopoly approach from day one.
    First, Romtelecom was the only one authorized to run telephony in romania. Landlines.
    Then mobile telephony came, first NMT then GSM. Romtelecom dug in their heels charging an arm and a leg for interconnecting and since they had 99% of phone market the mobile operators had to comply and in turn charged ridiculous prices as it was cheaper to call abroad. So people paid for a while in case of emergency or developed sign calling, like i call you twice, it is no, I call once, is yes, I call thrice, you need to go to a phone booth and call back. Still the mobile phone operators expanded, multiplied, people made an effort and bought an expensive brick and within a year, everyone was on mobile, only pensioners still used landlines and companies. Next year used phones gave everyone the opportunity to have a mobile and people were buying those with dead batteries for pennies to install to their parents house as a "fixed" phone. Romtelecom lost and from huge profits in a year started to make major losses in spite of still being the only player in landlines field by law.
    In the same time, since 1995, the first company started offering dial-up internet and people had to use modems over romtelecom lines. At first wasnt a big deal because 5 hours and an email account were 20 dollars, about 1/5 of a minimum wage back then. But prices fell and fell in competitive market so Romtelecom made huge money from call costs. It started to offer internet through leased lines, at horrific prices, I had to pay 100 $ for 4K and nobody else was allowed to hold own infrastructure. Thus, people bundled together and started laying down their own infrastructure through trees and over rooftops, streets, using coax cable 75 Ohm because 50 was expensive and hard to come by.
    These small players grew, I managed a net of 400+ people sharing 4 connections and the prices suddenly started to come down because everyone was doing, in spite of sharing connections being illegal, we just said we have our own network to play CS and people really did that as well as shared files the old way, with shared folders :P
    When the accessing to EU started to look possible, the government had to lift monopolies so the small networks incorporated and grew, hired enthusiastic people and became companies with tens of thousands of subscribers, professional albeit second hand equipment and whatnot. Some grew into millions together with cable tv and in 2003 landlines were no longer a monopoly either, romtelecom was making now such huge losses it had to be sold.
    So, the monopoly died, the market is competitive (in spite of top players, UPC and RDS having divided their turfs since the very beginning) now Romtelecom became Telekom and is the good guy breaking the big 2 monopoly, with the advent of unlimited mobile internet (50 GB at 4g and then 128/128) as bonus for 2 Eur fee (includes 200 min and 100 SMS a month too ) turfs became irrelevant also.

TL;RD
    The state worked hard through legislation to stop other actors from taking hold against the state monopoly, but it didnt work, when people want something, they get it, be it through local cooperation, voting with their feet and wallets against the monopolies or even starting their own small communication company. The failure of monopolies here is so spectacular, that it can be considered a textbook case on how capitalism and entrepreneurship wins against rules and regulations designed with preserving monopolies in mind.

Thanked by 1vimalware

Maounique said: when people want something, they get it, be it through local cooperation, voting with their feet and wallets against the monopolies or even starting their own small communication company.

This is slowly happening here, the number of WISPs is on the rise over the past few years and with companies like Ubiquiti offering such cheap hardware it's allowing faster growth while wireless networking is also improving significantly (and not just the consumer 802.11 protocols, the Point-to-Point stuff is really impressive these days).

Thanked by 2Maounique Harambe
    edited November 2017

KuJoe said: such cheap hardware

Indeed, it costs less to lay down a cheap repeater network to cover a few miles with the money you pay for a year of monopoly subscription... Same thing happened here, people put together money from romtelecom subscriptions and made their own infrastructure and it was not only for sharing the internet. Your monopolies will fall unless there is regulation against wi-fi because is much harder to control and intercept, as well as pinning IPs on people.

Thanked by 1Harambe
  • HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@KuJoe said:

Maounique said: when people want something, they get it, be it through local cooperation, voting with their feet and wallets against the monopolies or even starting their own small communication company.

This is slowly happening here, the number of WISPs is on the rise over the past few years and with companies like Ubiquiti offering such cheap hardware it's allowing faster growth while wireless networking is also improving significantly (and not just the consumer 802.11 protocols, the Point-to-Point stuff is really impressive these days).

Hope to see a lot more of this from small companies, get around so much red tape that comes with digging holes/leasing conduit. Pretty easy to get affordable 1-2Gbps PtP hardware. I'll happily eat any additional latency if it means avoiding big cable/telco but getting solid speeds.

• What tool would you use for backup on Windows?

@iwaswrongonce said:

@raindog308 said:
    Thanks @iwaswrongonce - how's ul/dl speed?

Only use it for work stuff, so our gear is colo'd with the object store in Gravelines and it's plenty fast. OpenStack/Swift based makes it easy and annoying to use at the same time. We mirror all our stuff to B2 as well, which has considerably poor peering across the pond.

I am LHR based but I just did a test for ya and I get about the same performance as I do uploading to our dedicated boxes (which is ca. 6-7 MBps from my 100m home connection, see below using test file in cyberduck)

• Wasabi.com, perhaps?

So hubiC is seeming like a waste of money now. I knew the 10Mbps limit was going to hurt but I at least expected 10Mbps. Right now I'm roughly 3 days into my upload and I've only been able to upload 6.3GB. :(

This is beyond pathetic. A company as big as OVH shouldn't be throttling at less than 10Mbps. Assuming my upload ever does finish, my nightly incremental backups will still run for hours at this rate. I'm going to soldier through it in hopes there's a silver lining somewhere, but at this point in time I would not recommend anybody else use hubiC for anything unless you are looking for a new method to cause yourself pain.

Thanked by 1jaden