Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

View informations about the parent server from a VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

View informations about the parent server from a VPS

teochristianteochristian Member
edited October 2017 in Help

Is there any option to view informations about the parent server from a VPS? Like CPU cores, RAM, Disk Space etc?

The VPS is KVM. Thanks.

Comments

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

You will be able to find out the CPU cores based on CPU name and model, as for the rest the answer is No

Thanked by 1teochristian
  • WebProject said: You will be able to find out the CPU cores based on CPU name and model

and even that would only work if the provider set the cpu model to passthru the hosts model... yet you can have KVM emulate other cpus easily or just display qemu which leaves you empty handed...

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

teochristian said: Is there any option to view informations about the parent server from a VPS? Like CPU cores, RAM, Disk Space etc?

The VPS is KVM. Thanks.

Yes you open a ticket and cross your fingers :)

Why would you want to know out of interest?

Thanked by 1teochristian
  • I will ask the provider. Thank you :)

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

WebProject said: You will be able to find out the CPU cores based on CPU name and model, as for the rest the answer is No

And the way to do that is to look at /proc/cpuinfo btw

That'll tell you the CPU name and model, but if for example there are 8 cores and you are allocated one, you'll only see one. However, if you look up the Intel model number you can see info on the host.

@Falzo 's helpful note (is it just me or does that guy just constantly post helpful notes?) is also a consideration.

Thanked by 2teochristian Falzo
  • I'll add one on top of @Falzo (good) note: What's actually running on the main board and what /proc tells you can be quite different but both credible.

How can I know? Because one can find out more than what /proc delivers and the hoster wants one to think. To do that, however, isn't easy but cumbersome and somewhat complicated. I personally "fell" over it due to some things like e.g. cache (and even line) sizes divergence in some close to the metal coding.

• I can tell you.. for a price.