Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SolusVM Alternatives?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SolusVM Alternatives?

Following the storm of vulnerabilities in SolusVM back in June, there has been a lot of plans from people looking to start developing alternatives.

There has been alternatives in the works such as VPSM, CVM, Capisso VMPanel

VPSM is basically put on hold due to the lead developer being MIA, no major updates on CVM and Capisso VMPanel either. I question whether CVM/VMPanel is even being actively worked on, or did the developers just give up?

So at this point I'm curious, what are the viable alternatives out there other than SolusVM? There's Virtualizor and VirtPanel, but they've been here for a while and do not have such a great reputation. @BlueVM seems like the only one that actually followed through with their plans and completed their own panel called Feathur. BlueVM is currently making the switch on all their locations to it, but I'm not sure if its available publicly for anyone to buy like SolusVM?

Am I missing anything else that might be out there? Thought this would be an interesting topic to discuss.

Comments

• @jake said:
    BlueVM seems like the only one that actually followed through with their plans and completed their own panel called Feathur.

Wrong. Backupsy's custom panel over Proxmox has been around since their inception. BandwagonHost's panel too has been around for months.

• jakejake Member
    edited August 2013

I understand, but I'm talking about panels that are available for anyone to buy and deploy right now. Last I checked, Backupsy and BandwagonHost do not license out their VPS CP and have no plans to release their panel publicly in the future. Correct me if I'm wrong :)

• You missed us :(

Haven't updated the post due to other work. Let me get around to that shortly.

• @jake said:
    Last I checked, Backupsy and BandwagonHost do not license out their VPS CP and have no plans to release their panel publicly in the future.

@serverian had plans: http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/11243/new-ovz-kvm-vps-control-panel-project#latest

• There is no alternative. Everyone uses either SolusVM or their own panel.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Did SolusVM ever complete that promised 3rd party audit?

• AsimAsim Member
    edited August 2013

The best one I have came across is @serverian / backupsy.com

Tightly integrated with WHMCS as well as pretty easy and bug-free to use

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

http://www.openitc.co.uk/project_oversite.php I suspect that this will be the next big panel.

Aside from the fact that the guys at OpenITC are actually in the industry so know what is required they are also top notch coders, they have not made a big public fuss about it and are just working on it.

I think this will probably be the one that gives solusvm a run for their money as no doubt migration scripts will also be included, maybe @sean can comment but I am looking forward to seeing it :)

• AsimAsim Member

@AnthonySmith having 2 KVM vps from them; I can say that the control panel is just so-so. Ajax calls dont work sometimes and the server takes infinite time to complete certain things.

I love the mount ISO via URL feature

• @jbiloh said:
    Did SolusVM ever complete that promised 3rd party audit?

Audit is running: http://blog.soluslabs.com/2013/08/19/solusvm-external-security-audit-update/

• smansman Member
    edited August 2013

Solus is still your best bet if you are concerned about security imho. A new panel has not stood the test of time and widespread adoption. That doesn't make it more secure. There is a very high likelyhood it will be less secure.

• Feathur is going to be ready for Public Sale soon(tm). Once we're done migrating and KVM support is added.

• Big report ? Does this mean a lot of security issues :) ?!?!?!

• @qhoster said:
    Big report ? Does this mean a lot of security issues :) ?!?!?!

I think when your paying the kind of price they likely paid, you'd want a big report regardless of outcome.

• jakejake Member

@concerto49 said:
    You missed us :(

Haven't updated the post due to other work. Let me get around to that shortly.

Any screenshots or more details? I don't think you created any threads about this.

• @ShardHost said:
    I think when your paying the kind of price they likely paid, you'd want a big report regardless of outcome.

With the money we are paying SolusVM for years now they should be some saving for such a report ;)

• @jake said:
    Any screenshots or more details? I don't think you created any threads about this.

We did but had to take time off due to more urgent matters. Will update it shortly.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@Jack they look grate whats up why you Jack?

• @Jack Why so insulting of my MS Paint skills!!!

• @Jack - Uhm they aren't drawn... they're HTML.

• Anything new? I'm really looking for some good SolusVM alternative.

• BlueVMBlueVM Member
    edited February 2014

@Razva - Feathur. It works, it's open source... it supports OpenVZ and KVM. It's currently at version 0.6.3.7 and our testing repo is updated frequently.

• @Razva said:
    Anything new? I'm really looking for some good SolusVM alternative.

Hostguard seems very promising but according to some providers who tested it, its not production ready at the moment.

Their website is this

• @Razva I'm using Proxmox directly.

• Cloudmin is very good and I don't understand why it is not used more often.

• @BlueVM said:
    Razva - Feathur. It works, it's open source...

and needs a license. open source but needs a license?

• BlueVMBlueVM Member
    edited February 2014

Bruce said: and needs a license. open source but needs a license?

The license is purely for support. There's no technical limitation for not purchasing a license. You can have an unlimited number of servers/vps/clients and never pay for a license.

You can also buy a single server license ($3.50 /Mo) and no matter how many servers/vps/clients you have your license will be valid. It's more about supporting the project than anything else. Feathur (believe it or not) does require money to keep running, we pay for security audits, support time, our domain, the legal paperwork, etc...

• @fapvps said:
    Cloudmin is very good and I don't understand why it is not used more often.

Same. We are looking to move to it.

@Bruce said:

Basically its a PR issue. You can not get a license, but then your clients will see your not "official" at check.feathur.com.

• cheaper than SolusVM. might be good when it's released. still currently alpha? might give it a spin on a dev server

• @Bruce - It's close to being in beta. Feature wise it's got most if not all of the essentials. There's a bit of polishing left to do and a bunch of interesting Features we'd like to add, but overall it's good.