Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Beware of VPS.me !
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Beware of VPS.me !

wlambrechtswlambrechts Member
edited August 2013 in Help

They seem to offer a free VPS. After you sign up (for which you need to enter your cellphone number) your account will
OR: never get installed
OR: get deleted within 24 hours for some incorrect reason

I had this problem: http://www.vps.me/forum/vps-server-support/got-the-code-but-verification-failed-why

They are not answering any question, after contacting Live support (pretending I am a possible new customer) I got this reply: "Because of huge interest in VPS.ME free vps services, today we have reached free VPS quota, please try to order free vps later or choose another paid plan. Sory for the inconvenience."

I insisted on removing my personal data which they refused.

I will keep this updated with any new info I might (or might not) receive

Comments

• @wlambrechts from reports found with googling it seems like they are just personal data collectors and people get spammed by 3rd parties after they give them phone number and email address.

• LeeLee Veteran

Jack, you are an ass. I just had to watch that and wasted 7 mins 43 of my life that I won't get back.

Thanked by 1DeletedUser
  • @W1V_Lee said:
    Jack, you are an ass. I just had to watch that and wasted 7 mins 43 of my life that I won't get back.

I disagree. His new avatar looks more like a penis with a wig than an ass.

• @Spirit said:
    wlambrechts from reports found with googling it seems like they are just personal data collectors and people get spammed by 3rd parties after they give them phone number and email address.

Crap.. I dont need any more spam.. =/

guess nothing i can do to get my data off them? :(

• DroidzoneDroidzone Member
    edited August 2013

good thing I was prevented from signing up because they dont offer free (spam) service to India. LOL.

• Maybe a case of you get what you pay for?

• Note that you can edit your vps.me profile and enter random data, if you are concerned about privacy.

You can't change email, though.

• @Master_Bo email address and phone number stay.

• udkudk Member

Free VPS from virtualvm is still going strong:
    01:51:00 up 65 days, 19:56, 1 user, load average: 0.08, 0.02, 0.01

Strangely enough it's had 100% network uptime too, more stable than some paid VPS. Resources are lacking somewhat but works great for IRC/VPN.

10 requests completed in 21249.7 ms, 1 iops, 0.0 mb/s
    min/avg/max/mdev = 164.3/1157.0/3119.3/992.5 ms

• @udk said:
    Free VPS from virtualvm is still going strong:
    01:51:00 up 65 days, 19:56, 1 user, load average: 0.08, 0.02, 0.01

Yep, my @virtualvm has been up for ~60 days now too and it just works with no hoops to jump through, no drama. I was a bit wary at first, but recommend them now like I did in the recent top providers survey.

• wroxwrox Member
    edited August 2013

They are a subsidiary of Hostinger, which according to various sources on the internet is a shady company.

Their domain is also up on Sedo.

http://www.sedo.com/search/details.php4?language=us&domain=hostinger.com&partnerid=55490&origin=partner

• I say we lynch @trexos ;-)

Thanked by 1Droidzone
  • Well, hot damn.

Gave them every bit of personal info.

• @Spirit said:
    Master_Bo email address and phone number stay.

Phone number changes fine, tested right now.

• @Master_Bo said:
    Phone number changes fine, tested right now.

Not for approved numbers. Once they verify it it's not possible to remove it.

Phone number can not be changed. It is already approved

• I guess the big question is what they intend to do with it? Sell it to marketing junkies?

• @Spirit said:

Phone number can not be changed. It is already approved

Pity. Well, at least obfuscate all the rest.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Gotta say it, really good domain.

• Just bumping this message to warn some more users ...