Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking For A Budget Deidcated Server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking For A Budget Deidcated Server

yourarnavyourarnav Member
edited August 2013 in Help

First of all, I'm new here, Just joined Today! So, apologies If I'm posting in wrong section.

Hello folks, I'm looking for a dedicated server for x264 video encoding!

Things to note -

1 - I won't be storing any files for public to download.

I'll simply download a file, encode it and upload it.

Files will be TV shows and Movies and I repeat, there will be nothing hosted on server, I'll just be doing for encoding purpose

Now Specs -

1 RAM 8GB Minimum (The more the better)

2 - HDD ( The less the better, No need of big HDD)

3 CPU - Intel ( Series available in the price mentioned below)

But should have 4 cores and 8 threads.Clock speed 2.6 GHZ (minimum , better if 3.2 GHZ)

4 Location (doesn't matter)

5 Port speed 100MBps (200MBps if available in price range)

6 I'm from INDIA. I'll access the server via RDP. Need one unique 1IP (Sorry if this point is invalid, I'm such a noob when it comes to server)

7 Payement - Webmoney or Paypal!

8 OS - Windows (Even Web edition, Just need to run couple of exe files)

=======================================================

I have checked Datashack and they've the cheapest price but they're currently out of stock!

Then I check Volumedrive but the support is only via emails also they don't have many options in Dedi servers.

Also I've this concern can uploading and encoding files on server in USA leads to DMCA abuse? (Like can they suspend my account) Though I already said I won't be hosting anything on the server and also no Torrent seeding whatsoever.

I'll download the source file - encode - upload to file hosts (Period)

MY PRICE RANGE IS BETWEEN $75 - $85

Please post all your experiences and help me out finding the best/cheapest and quality provider!

Thanks!

Comments

• Does it have to be in USA? Check Hetzner, they have some good deals for Core i7 based servers.

• The Processor you're referring is this one - http://ark.intel.com/products/39107

If Yes, it's pretty outdated! Also Budget is between 75 - 85 dollars. So, kindly suggest something w/ good processor!

@Jack said:
    Processor: Quad Core 2.5GHz (Q8300)

Memory: 8GB RAM

Hard Disk: 250GB HDD

Bandwidth: 5,000GB Bandwidth Per Month

Port Speed: Dedicated 100Mbit Port

$50/mo

Setup time: 1 hour

https://dotvps.co/portal/cart.php?a=add&pid=151 If interested in discussing before purchasing you can PM me.

• Location - I don't mind but can they send me DMCA abuse for doing encoding thing on US server.

P.S - The set up fee is too much!

@rds100 said:
    Does it have to be in USA? Check Hetzner, they have some good deals for Core i7 based servers.

• I don't know if you havn't looked at OVH yet, but would the mSP suit you? Maybe the mSP SSD would suit you better, if your not encoding entirely within memory.

• ztecztec Member

Never go with server4you. They're the worst of the worst. Almost criminal.

• @ztec said:

I guess you've had some bad experience with them?

• Thanks for replying!

1st - Do they sell to Indian People

2 - I decide to buy this one -https://us.ovh.com/us/cgi-bin/newOrder/order.cgi?orderType=dedicated&hard=135casp1 but after adding even Windows WEB edition it goes beyond my budget

3 - I've read some negative reviews about their support on WBT

@r0t3n said:
    I don't know if you havn't looked at OVH yet, but would the mSP suit you? Maybe the mSP SSD would suit you better, if your not encoding entirely within memory.

• Sorry mate, NO, AMD Processors!

• I only need Intel Processor! So, that's that! > @ztec said:

• @yourarnav support is terrible, or shall we say non-existent for their kimsufi line, but their professional line of servers have better support. Either way, if you know how to run the server, you would only ever need to contact support if their is a technical issue. And do you really need windows for an encoding box?

• Thanks for replying but Honestly I don't know much how to run servers! I mean, yeah, Window servers works similar to Window PC'sat home but nothing hardcore ( Like Geeky Part)

And Yes, only windows! I don't know Linux also the apps I need are basically supported in Windows!

@r0t3n said:
    yourarnav support is terrible, or shall we say non-existent for their kimsufi line, but their professional line of servers have better support. Either way, if you know how to run the server, you would only ever need to contact support if their is a technical issue. And do you really need windows for an encoding box?

• @yourarnav i think the kind of support you may be wanting would be more down the managed server route. Even if you find a decent host within your price range, most support is for technical issues, most companies wont give you help setting up and running your server unless you have a management contract with them. You generally won't get a better spec for price ratio than OVH, but with a LEB hoster like @jack or others, you will get more personalised support. It all depends on your needs, if you need help running your server, then OVH is not for you. If you need management, you would need to up your budget.

• Alright, but what other issues one can encounter than technical issues! Please enlighten me!

@r0t3n said:
    yourarnav i think the kind of support you may be wanting would be more down the managed server route. Even if you find a decent host within your price range, most support is for technical issues, most companies wont give you help setting up and running your server unless you have a management contract with them. You generally won't get a better spec for price ratio than OVH, but with a LEB hoster like jack or others, you will get more personalised support. It all depends on your needs, if you need help running your server, then OVH is not for you. If you need management, you would need to up your budget.

• skaska Member

@yourarnav said:
    Alright, but what other issues one can encounter than technical issues! Please enlighten me!

I guess you know that the server will be public available to anyone and you know how to secure a windows based server, ie. you know how to use and configure Windows Server?

• yourarnavyourarnav Member
    edited August 2013

I don't know that , but one can learn over internet, right? BTW, I won't be sharing my server IP with anyone. I mean, people won't be having any access to it? I'm confuse now! Sorry!

@ska said:
    I guess you know that the server will be public available to anyone and you know how to secure a windows based server, ie. you know how to use and configure Windows Server?

• xsetxset Member

@ztec said:

Nothing wrong with them except AMD cpus and slow hdds on older systems. I had 3 servers with them since 2011 until this month.

What is your problem with them?

• Well, you can encounter ddos attacks, hack attempts, anything on a public network is wide open to such things, unless you know how to secure it. Also, windows aint exactly the most resource friendly os, so would you know how to optimize your setup to get the best performance?

It does not matter if you will be sharing your server ip or not, all i need to do is portscan an ip block and find a machine unsecured, which could very well be yours, and hack it. And its too late learning on the internet how to prevent an attack when the damage is already done.

• Okay, thanks now it's pretty clear to me! Jeez! I guess, then I won't be able to buy a server then like ever!

@r0t3n said:
    Well, you can encounter ddos attacks, hack attempts, anything on a public network is wide open to such things, unless you know how to secure it. Also, windows aint exactly the most resource friendly os, so would you know how to optimize your setup to get the best performance?

It does not matter if you will be sharing your server ip or not, all i need to do is portscan an ip block and find a machine unsecured, which could very well be yours, and hack it. And its too late learning on the internet how to prevent an attack when the damage is already done.

• I'm not saying don't buy a dedicated server, and not to learn. All i'm saying is, you need to find the right host who are willing to help you along the way. Most LET/LEB hosters will be able to provide more personalised support, but they won't be able to beat OVH on specs. With great support, comes cost.

Thanked by 1yourarnav
  • skaska Member
    edited August 2013

@yourarnav said:
    I don't know that , but one can learn over internet, right? BTW, I won't be sharing my server IP with anyone. I mean, people won't be having any access to it? I'm confuse now! Sorry!

Ok, then since you don't seem to have any clue about Windows Server but bought one: for your own protection and for the protection of all others on the internet -so we don't have another spam-/malware-/botnet-server- within the next few hours, read and follow the first very basic hardening instructions and a first insight in Windows Server security. But that is only a very small introduction. You definitely need to read into what Windows Server is, how it works and how to secure the server.

Thanked by 1yourarnav
  • Any LET/LEB hosters you suggest? Also one can hire any server management company for a Dedicated server,right?

@r0t3n said:
    I'm not saying don't buy a dedicated server, and not to learn. All i'm saying is, you need to find the right host who are willing to help you along the way. Most LET/LEB hosters will be able to provide more personalised support, but they won't be able to beat OVH on specs. With great support, comes cost.

• @yourarnav said:
    Thanks for replying but Honestly I don't know much how to run servers! I mean, yeah, Window servers works similar to Window PC'sat home but nothing hardcore ( Like Geeky Part)

Then what are you doing buying a dedicated server? Better get one of the LEB VPSes, and learn essential stuff before trying to manage a dedicated.

• @ska - Thanks kind Sir! Will look into it and cut me some slack! Everyone starts from Zero! :D

• Learning video encoding on a vps? I think that could cause a few CPU issues with hosters.

Yes, anyone can buy a management contract for a server, but it depends on your budget.

Regarding LET/LEB hosters, i myself can not recommend any i've used for dedicated servers, i mainly buy vps's myself, but one's i've heard of are qps (quickpacket), and @jack (dotvps) is good. Maybe some other hosters will chip in with their offers soon?

• @yourarnav said:
    ska - Thanks kind Sir! Will look into it and cut me some slack! Everyone starts from Zero! :D

Fair enough. The ones I have are a Kimsufi (which is not available to Indians), and another from online.net. In fact, online.net have some which fit your budget nicely. Try their dedibox Classic+Gen2

• alright! you've been very kind! blessings.

@r0t3n said:
    Learning video encoding on a vps? I think that could cause a few CPU issues with hosters.

Yes, anyone can buy a management contract for a server, but it depends on your budget.

Regarding LET/LEB hosters, i myself can not recommend any i've used for dedicated servers, i mainly buy vps's myself, but one's i've heard of are qps (quickpacket), and jack (dotvps) is good. Maybe some other hosters will chip in with their offers soon?

• alright! you've been very kind! blessings.

@r0t3n said:
    Learning video encoding on a vps? I think that could cause a few CPU issues with hosters.

Regarding LET/LEB hosters, i myself can not recommend any i've used for dedicated servers, i mainly buy vps's myself, but one's i've heard of are qps (quickpacket), and jack (dotvps) is good. Maybe some other hosters will chip in with their offers soon?

• The one you referred is in budget, but the website is in French lang! Have to translate to English! Also No Facebook/Twitter page!

How to vouch for them?

@joelgm said:
    Fair enough. The ones I have are a Kimsufi (which is not available to Indians), and another from online.net. In fact, online.net have some which fit your budget nicely. Try their dedibox Classic+Gen2

• I think you would have the same sort of support issues with online.net, also i believe their network is not that good, keep hearing of packet loss within their network.