Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Yearly Web Hosting Required!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Yearly Web Hosting Required!

Hey, I'm looking to host a small game forum, like an RP Forum Board, possibly using PHPBB/MyBB or any alternatives that are as good. I want it to be yearly if possible, and traffic would be around 50+ Members (10+ Online Daily). I am using this -

https://buyshared.net/shared-cpanel-hosting/

$10/year

But their CPU overloads way too fast and I'm hardly using up any resources, same goes for the bandwidth I don't understand what's wrong. I tried taking off a lot of things but still no luck. If anyone can suggest a similar package to that with better power, I'd love to give it atry.

Comments

• WHTWHT Member
    edited October 2017

Tried cloudflare? I have used vbulletin in the past and worked well in my case. Btw, was a forum with 200-400 visits per day.

• WSSWSS Member

Forums have quite a bit of overhead without even realizing it. Especially when it's being crawled or targeted- they're just behind WordPress for security issues scanned for on botnets. Once found, they have a myriad of things that they automatically search for (even if patched since 2007), and that passes through to the host.

With your given monetary value, I'd suggest you just go to FreeForums.net. It has ads, but won't cost you anything, and security issues are no longer a burden upon yourself.

• What's the cheapest monthly hosting I can get then? With good value.

• How many active users do you have at any one time?

Have you considered implementing a CDN to try and offload some content and save on bandwidth that way?

Not sure if it'd be any good to you but our latest offer might suit your needs: https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/127079/uk-ssd-web-reseller-hosting-ddos-protected-cloudlinux-mariadb-up-to-75-off

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

You are in luck, I created these 2 packages as a special in another thread.
    10gb disk special / $10 per year

Order Link for shared USA
    Order Link for shared NL

Give them a try and I think you will be satisfied.

• libertyliberty Member
    edited October 2017

@WSCallum How many Databases/Addon Domains/Emails can be created. Also does it have nameservers?

EDIT: Found it, sorry.

Thanked by 1WSCallum
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

liberty said: same goes for the bandwidth

Are you running out of traffic or is there something i'm missing else? Got a ticket and I can look?

Francisco

• @Francisco said:

liberty said: same goes for the bandwidth

Are you running out of traffic or is there something i'm missing else? Got a ticket and I can look?

Francisco

Apparently, he’s not satisfied with the CPU limit on a $10/yr plan.

• WSSWSS Member

One might suggest that he sliced too thin..

• dergelbedergelbe Member
    edited October 2017

I have some domains for about a year with https://hostrush.com - they have a max 5 domains for $9.99/year offer. They use SSD and use LiteSpeed, which makes wordpress load pretty fast.
    No big issues with them. Had one downtime for a few hours. Support is good.

For the bots that look for malware targets I strongly suggest to rename folders.

• libertyliberty Member
    edited October 2017

It's not that I'm satisfied, I've been with http://buyvm.net for at least a year now, I had no problems in the first few months but then suddenly the CPU started to overload, whilst hardly having any usage. And at the time I was running a MyBB Forum by itself. The CPU Overload started to cause down times for my website meaning people couldn't connect to it at certain points in the day, and the bandwidth got eaten up really fast I don't know why I didn't have much traffic either. @Francisco

EDIT: I think it might be to do with Bandwidth, also would your $10/yr plan be able to handle 2 Forums on the same Host ^

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

liberty said: EDIT: I think it might be to do with Bandwidth, also would your $10/yr plan be able to handle 2 Forums on the same Host ^

Well if you have an active service still log a ticket and I'll take a look.

I've been seeing more than a few cases of accounts getting compromised to run monero miners causing peoples CPU to be maxed. I've been catching them and suspending as I can, but they've been getting more clever with their process naming :(

Francisco

• @Francisco Yep, I've opened one.

• @Francisco

Doesn't CloudLinux have limiting features, or...?