Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ipmi with port capped to 10Mbps
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Ipmi with port capped to 10Mbps

vpsGODvpsGOD Member, Host Rep
edited October 2017 in Help

Hi
I have leased a unmanaged dell ipmi based server in which datacenter has capped the ipmi port speed to 10Mbps( https://s1.postimg.org/33fxdc0tgv/IMG_20171018_235852.jpg )

I want to load windows server 2012 iso in this server. Now I need your expert comments

1. Does it possible to increase the port speed (DC rejected my request saying it's default for such servers in 2013 dell)

2. Do you think windows install will finish without timedout or java console freeze.

if yes, how long it takes

1. Expert advice to do windows server 2012

Note : server don't have rescue mode, such thing we see in Hetzner,ovh or online.net

IF SOMEONE READY TO TAKE INSTALL JOB> PM me

Comments

• if you are the vps GOD then why are you asking questions like this? surely you are all seeing and all knowing

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2017

Maybe you could use a USB drive with the OS ISO/image on it and install it via that?

Thanked by 1vpsGOD
  • vpsGODvpsGOD Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2017

@facialcumshot I am not an expert in every bit of things . I am open to admit about my knowledge

Mostly I depends on staff ..keep learning... if you know just share as it's not a trademarked secret.

@SpeedBus good suggestion. But it goes to managed server part as per datacenter . Even they rejecting to load evaluation copy or my own license.

• Boot it with PXE and chain it to https://netboot.xyz/ then install it over network.

Thanked by 3vpsGOD Corey yomero

@serverian i will give a try for netboot. On manual overview I don't find windows . Maybe some tutorial regarding netboot over internet.

Its a best if someone find hard to linux load iso via ipmi or we can say it as all in one Linux install tool.

• WSSWSS Member

@vpsGOD do some research for yourself, for fuck's sake. It's already available in NetBoot- you just need to setup your archive accordingly.

Thanked by 1vpsGOD
  • PieHasBeenEatenPieHasBeenEaten Member, Host Rep

Well if you cant figure it out im available to take care of this for you. Of course for a price.

• hawchawc Moderator, LIR

I've installed Windows before with less than 10Mbps IPMI. It works, but it'll take a time. A very very long time.

Thanked by 1vpsGOD
  • @hawc said:
    I've installed Windows before with less than 10Mbps IPMI. It works, but it'll take a time. A very very long time.

Thanked by 3vpsGOD pechspilz mint
  • oneilonlineoneilonline Member, Host Rep

The IPMI port speed is not the issue.

Are you installing the ISO from your home ISP? Of course that would time out long before it finishes. Your ISO needs to be in a datacenter or the same network.

Or find a new provider, you get what you pay for. Clearly they discourage custom OS installs.

There is a ton of info online if you need a tutorial.

Thanked by 1vpsGOD
  • oneilonline said: Your ISO needs to be in a datacenter or the same network.

I use one of my Kimsufi where I installed Windows for this purpose, and 100Mbps is quite enough for this. Even if you have Gbit upload it never goes that fast with IPMI...

Thanked by 1vpsGOD

@WSS going to check with netboot ,Thanks

@PieNotEvenEaten PM me

@hawc The time taking over 24 hours is the reason i am trying to find a better solution

@oneilonline Loading iso from same DC windows server and also tried with nearest, all slow slow.

@FredQc Thanks

contact via PM if anyone ready to take this OS install task.

• Ask your data center if they can install the OS on a USB, after that just boot from the USB.

Thanked by 1vpsGOD
  • NDTNNDTN Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

Most datacenters can help you burn an ISO and attach it to the server for you with a small fee (normally $25). You can reuse the ISO next time.

Thanked by 1vpsGOD

@ValuedCloud @NDTN They wont do on unmanaged server

I have paid for unmanaged server with IPMI. As i have IPMI inhand let me try to sort things

Netboot : I can load the windows but it stops after clicking install button http://prntscr.com/gzcahi . Any input on this issue

• If your server processor supports KVM virtualization, you can boot up in rescue mode, download the Windows iso on a ramdisk or unused area of the hdd, then boot up qemu-kvm using your hdd as sda and the iso as cdrom drive, then log in through VNC and install Windows :)

Don't forget to install device drivers for the host devices, otherwise Windows might not boot/be acessible after then.

• Sorry, read now that you don't have rescue mode.

Still possible but harder. Do you have two disks? If yes, migrate running system to sdb, if not, move it to end of the sda. Then, do the qemu-kvm method through normal system.

• oneilonlineoneilonline Member, Host Rep

@vpsGOD said:
    Netboot : I can load the windows but it stops after clicking install button http://prntscr.com/gzcahi . Any input on this issue

Did you attach your ISO? If you did, then it disconnected.

• ExpertVMExpertVM Member, Host Rep

Have you check the dell model whether it can work with Windows 2012? From the looks of the first DRAC background seems to be a very old dell system.

• WSSWSS Member

The host needs to be able to see/use an ISO for the installation over the network. This is often done by making the filesystem NTFS and mounting the ISO locally before installation. It is possible to chain NetBoot into the Windows installer, but depending on the iDRAC/etc setup, it might not properly notify with the exchanged image. Easiest way is still to write an ISO to the HD and load the chain-to in the CD image.

That said, I had a hell of a time with the last one, but- I don't tend to do Windows remote installs.

• Closed on request.

This discussion has been closed.