Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does the brand of control panel really matter?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
edited January 2012 in General

My question to you, the users, is does the control panel a provider uses influence your decision? We currently use SolusVM but I am actively working on getting away from SolusVM sometime in February. As long as the basic features are there (reboot, shutdown, boot, bandwidth monitoring, change root password, console, rebuild OS, etc..) that should be good enough right? Right now I am looking at 2 options:

1- An external control panel, like SolusVM that runs on its own server.
2- An internal control panel that runs in WHMCS (the billing area).

Which would you prefer and why? Thanks!

Comments

• For me it wouldn't matter what is the panel, as long as the functionality that i need is there.

• @KuJoe said:

1- An external control panel, like SolusVM that runs on its own server.

It's always good to separate features. Let the billing be billing, the cp - cp.

@KuJoe said: As long as the basic features are there (reboot, shutdown, boot, bandwidth monitoring, change root password, console, rebuild OS, etc..) that should be good enough right?

Yes. But some API to use it in external applications would be great. Though I've never used that feature.

• No interest in a fancy control panel. When i have basic features (reboot/emergency console/rebuild os) that's fine for me.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@KuJoe said: My question to you, the users, is does the control panel a provider uses influence your decision? We currently use SolusVM but I am actively working on getting away from SolusVM sometime in February.

WELL DONE.

• @KuJoe said: As long as the basic features are there (reboot, shutdown, boot, bandwidth monitoring, change root password, console, rebuild OS, etc..) that should be good enough right?

You may be right: blue, green or even purple does not really matter, we don't spend so much time on it :-)
    But a really working one because we don't want to spend time on it! That should not even be an option!

• I'd like to see a command line control panel. Something that I can SSH into to control my VMs to perform the common functions (boot, shutdown, reboot, reinstall OS, change hostname, and change root password).

• @marrco said: No interest in a fancy control panel. When i have basic features (reboot/emergency console/rebuild os) that's fine for me.

Signed.

• From our perspective, we've noticed that our users do a lot of their start/stop/reboot in WHMCS instead of the VPS control panel (Virtualizor).

• @KuJoe said: As long as the basic features are there (reboot, shutdown, boot, bandwidth monitoring, change root password, console, rebuild OS, etc..) that should be good enough right?

The control panel with basic functionaly does matter but isn't this what you posted here some kind of control panel anyway?

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@Spirit said: The control panel with basic functionaly does matter but isn't this what you posted here some kind of control panel anyway?

I'm not sure what you are asking. I was asking if the type of control panel mattered (i.e. would you only use a company with SolusVM, HyperVM, Virtualizor, custom panel, etc...).

• The control panel doesn't matter to me, but I am used to Solus. Please don't use vePortal. I just like things that are easy to use. This just means that the functions are placed in logical areas. I don't want to search forever to find them.

• Anyone would have a job purchasing VePortal, their client panel has been down the last 5 or 6 times i have checked over the last couple of months and their support forums have disappeared, with no contact email anywhere on the website.

I plan on building my own control panel since nothing appears to be open source these days.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited January 2012

@KuJoe said: I'm not sure what you are asking. I was asking if the type of control panel mattered (i.e. would you only use a company with SolusVM, HyperVM, Virtualizor, custom panel, etc...).

I will try once again :)

1. The control panel with basic functionaly does matter. With some hosts we can't monitor bandwidth usage, to reinstall OS without opening support ticket, etc but I want to be able to monitor my bandwidth usage, to reinstall OS... Even most posters above which said NO means YES as long it's atleast control panel with basic functionality from what I understand.

2. I would not only use a company with SolusVM, HyperVM, Virtualizor, custom panel, etc - But posability to reboot, shutdown, boot, bandwidth monitoring, change root password, console, rebuild OS, etc.. is control panel! Even through WHMCS. And this is for me enough. So... yes I want control panel with basic functionality but it doesn't need to be SolusVM, etc...

It's problem with your topic title which is deceptive.

@Spirit That makes more sense, I've updated the title to be a bit more clear. :)

Thanked by 1Spirit
  • SpiritSpirit Member
    edited January 2012

Thank you.

No, not at all for me. As long there is panel with basic functionality to monitor bandwidth usage and reinstall OS. Serial console access can be bonus.

• I don't matter what brand it is, just that it has features that I want (WHMCS "branding" tends to cover up a fair bit), isn't SolusVM, and doesn't suck shit.

• I don't care about it. The most important thing is running vps. for panel it is enough if it offers some basic options.
    restart, install, rdns, traffic usage,...

• The control panel itself shouldn't matter much has long has it offers the basic options.

However i do like "custom" control panels like Linode it offers allot of functionality and allot of graphs, not needed to control the server.

• As long as the panel has the basic features (restart, start, shutdown, reload os, bandwith, root password), is fine.

Extras would be: rDNS (less burden to your support people), CPU load usage, ip usage.

Prgmr.com has a very simple panel (mostly console based) but you can get things done, BuyVM also provides the basic features on Stallion.

The main question to you as a provider, is how much burden do you wanna leave to the control panel and how much to your support staff?

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

The control panel is no issue what so ever as long provided the replacement has similar functionality to the previous one. If it works better, sure you should go ahead. :)

• @thekreek said: Extras would be: rDNS (less burden to your support people),

Same for iptables nat, tun and pptp

• I will say that a company that is running a cheaper/free panel does make me think that they are not financially stable. I think that you have to at least have Solus or a custom panel.

• No, doesn't matter and I want HyperVM back u_u

• For me, the less time in the control panel the better.

Let's face it, clients are buying the VPS, not the panel; as long as the VPS is running fine, I'm a happy bunny.
    If anything I find the panel more of a drag, Solus never pays well in Chrome for me :<

• @ElliotJ said: Let's face it, clients are buying the VPS, not the panel; as long as the VPS is running fine, I'm a happy bunny.

However clients also want to see their bandwidth usage to avoid additional costs or suspension, they want to reinstall OS here and now as many times is necessary without opening support ticket everytime, and so on..

• i absolutely DESPISE having to put in a ticket for rdns

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • @justinb said: i absolutely DESPISE having to put in a ticket for rdns

I take this somehow natural as many, really many hosts don't support this automaticly however I would hate to open support ticket with OS reinstall request and then wait and wait...

• BernardooBernardoo Member
    edited January 2012

Control panels are not only "required" by clients but also by companys, the more your panel does the less your support handles.

One of the big reasons why companys like Hetzner, OVH offer such prices. ( they are in for dedicated servers but the control panel example works )

• I just want a control panel that works and doesn't interfere with operations of the VPS or box or account or whatever.

I know when I got my first dedicated service, it had Ensim on it. That was a nightmare. You had to run special OS software provided by those folks. They were always behind of what was current.