Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is the best server location of Vultr?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What is the best server location of Vultr?

CUTACUTA Member

I recently moved to vultr, and hosted my site in new york datacenter. I am wondering how are the other datacenters in vultr? what is the best datacenter among them if I target the whole world? especially Europe and US audience? I don't want to drop oceanian audience altogether, so I prefer the ping to there is somewhat acceptable as well.

Comments

• The original location is Piscataway.

• Sydney.

• @askve said:
    Sydney.

Sydney is great for oceanian audience, but unfortunately most of my visitors are from europe,usa, and india. so if I moved Sydney, the ping will be so high for my usual visitors. I am sure I will move to Sydney if I got a lot of the visitors from oceania.

• Maybe tell us what plan you are using. You may want to use multiple 2,5$ plans and use some geolocation tools to redirect users.

• I use $5 plan.

Thanked by 1ewebxml
  • hzrhzr Member

NY/NJ is probably best. in between rest of US and EU

• I see> @hzr said:

NY/NJ is probably best. in between rest of US and EU

I see. anyway I had tested on performance.sucuri.net it appears as Los angeles california is best as it has the lowest time to first byte, and full load. but it doesn't test with a lot of the servers, only like a dozen but from various parts of the world.

Thanked by 1ewebxml
  • BuyVM anycast

LV + NY + LUX

• +1 for NY/NJ Vultr great network speeds compared to other provider's US East coast offerings

• @CUTA said:
    I see. anyway I had tested on performance.sucuri.net it appears as Los angeles california is best as it has the lowest time to first byte, and full load. but it doesn't test with a lot of the servers, only like a dozen but from various parts of the world.

You know that it doesn't matter?... As server distance changes so will the load time. If sucuri's server is closer to LA, of course it will load faster.

Run a benchmark script on the each location and compare the results, sucuri is not a benchmarking tool.

• @eva2000 said:
    +1 for NY/NJ Vultr great network speeds compared to other provider's US East coast offerings

Yeah NY datacenter is so far good. I have no problem with it. As I had tested with maplatency.com which tests the host with so many servers around the world, the highest ping is australia which is 294ms. Lost angels appeared as good, but with this test it's not that proper due to the high ping in certain parts of the world. So I guess I will keep NY instance. :)

• @vovler said:

@CUTA said:

You know that it doesn't matter?... As server distance changes so will the load time. If sucuri's server is closer to LA, of course it will load faster.

Run a benchmark script on the each location and compare the results, sucuri is not a benchmarking tool.

In fact I did a benchmark test with NY one
    https://serverscope.io/trials/72ox#system
    It was really good, but I did it for comparing with my digitalocean droplet in NY.

• Vultr cpu performance is better than DO.

• @vovler said:
    Vultr cpu performance is better than DO.

so True. my digitalocean droplet in NY had only 1.8GHz speed in $10 package, but in this instance in vultr I have 2.4GHz speed for just $5. And digitalocean gives just 29GB out of 30GB in $10 package, but vultr gives 25GB of 25GB in $5 package. I saw many people complain in DO's feedback section to reduce the prices. They used to be lowest, but now vultr is best bang for the buck.

• @CUTA said:

so True. my digitalocean droplet in NY had only 1.8GHz speed in $10 package, but in this instance in vultr I have 2.4GHz speed for just $5. And digitalocean gives just 29GB out of 30GB in $10 package, but vultr gives 25GB of 25GB in $5 package. I saw many people complain in DO's feedback section to reduce the prices. They used to be lowest, but now vultr is best bang for the buck.

and at $5 you get 2x the ram. Don't know about the IO performance though

• @vovler said:

@CUTA said:

and at $5 you get 2x the ram. Don't know about the IO performance though

It's also best. you can see that on these two reports. It's done by me on a fresh droplet/instance
    https://serverscope.io/trials/Pak2#system
    https://serverscope.io/trials/72ox#system
    This is the whole reason why I moved to vultr from digitalocean.
    And not just me, many people are moving away from DO now to both Linode and Vultr.
    https://digitalocean.uservoice.com/forums/136585-digitalocean/suggestions/8302785-update-your-prices

Thanked by 1vovler
  • @CUTA
    Honestly I was expecting better from DO. Such a shame to provide lower performance for double the price. But then again, HostGator exists.

Thanked by 1ewebxml
  • @vovler said:
    @CUTA
    Honestly I was expecting better from DO. Such a shame to provide lower performance for double the price. But then again, HostGator exists.

Indeed. plus vultr has free block storage (50GB for free for instances in NY datacenter) :D , and free snapshots, ability to upload custom images, fast customer support, DDOS protection for $10. I dunno why would anyone even go to DO with these all awesome features. anyway back to the topic I decided to stay with NY datacenter as it's much better in terms of performance, and latency.

Thanked by 1datanoise
  • CUTA said: vultr has free block storage (50GB for free for instances in NY datacenter) :D

Nice, didn't know about that. Just tried, it works fine. Slower than included SSD space but totally usable. Only free when it's beta: might change anytime in the future.

• bapbap Member
    edited October 2017

@CUTA said:

But you got more free space (have you compare OS size after installation?), more feature, non-buggy UI, faster support, free of charge bandwidth overage and more high-usage-tolerance on DO. There is no providers perfect in everything :)

Last time I got my idle 512 Singapore plan deleted without any reason in Vultr. I open a ticket and the support said that the instance never exists, but the instance exists in my invoice..haha

#sorry4mybadenglish

Thanked by 1coreflux
  • @bap said:
    free of charge bandwidth overage

Let's rephrase that:
    DO didn't have the time to actually build a system to calculate overages, that's why they're free.

It just shows they're lazy - but sure it's free.. for now ;)

• WSSWSS Member

The one that secretary works at.

Thanked by 2Amitz sin
  • AmitzAmitz Member
    edited October 2017

WSS said: The one that secretary works at.

I do not remember herself, but some of her parts. I mean: I ehm. partly remember her.

• WSSWSS Member
    edited October 2017

@Amitz said:

WSS said: The one that secretary works at.

I do not remember herself, but some of her parts. I mean: I ehm. partly remember her.

That's the one!

• bap said: Last time I got my idle 512 Singapore plan deleted without any reason in Vultr. I open a ticket and the support said that the instance never exists, but the instance exists in my invoice..haha

I thought I was the only one having this issue (VPS never exists but it were once -- invoice were paid). It was with Digital Ocean though.

Thanked by 1bap
  • pluushpluush Member
    edited October 2017

Since they’re billed hourly, you can spin up a VPS over there and run the tests for yourself, just remember not to cross their hourly bandwidth allowance.

• bapbap Member

@r00t4bl3 said:

bap said: Last time I got my idle 512 Singapore plan deleted without any reason in Vultr. I open a ticket and the support said that the instance never exists, but the instance exists in my invoice..haha

I thought I was the only one having this issue (VPS never exists but it were once -- invoice were paid). It was with Digital Ocean though.

Hm.. Thanks for let me know :)

• sinsin Member
    edited October 2017

Their NJ location has been really stable for me...been using them for quite some time and can't remember the last time I had any outage.

• I have many droplets with them and almost all of them are performance very well, its hard differentiate service quality however if you are server expert then you might notice some basic DC level differences

• @GoogieHost said:
    I have many droplets with them and almost all of them are performance very well, its hard differentiate service quality however if you are server expert then you might notice some basic DC level differences

wow so you are the owner of this GoogieHost ? I came across once and thought for a moment it's from Google. It seems like a deceptive practice honestly.