Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Apart from Let's encrypt, what other options exist to obtain free SSL certificates? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Apart from Let's encrypt, what other options exist to obtain free SSL certificates?

Comments

• @raindog308 said:
    ... UK, Japan, Poland, and Israel.

Pick a friend of Russia in that group. You'll be empty handed.

And yes, academia can be quite biased, too (incl. myself. I'm not perfectly neutral either).

• @WSS said:
    @bsdguy So what one-time pad is being used by the biharmonic UVB-76?

None. Nice try, though. But that uses a two-times pad, you cunning cunt!

• @HackedServer said:

angstrom said: did his part by unbanning you

Made me chuckle.

I read though @Maounique's comments and agree with them and am glad they are being made.

@Maounique has made his comments. No one is trying to take away those comments. And no one is arguing against those comments.

At this point, it's a question of moving forward, and if Maounique removes that signature, it would demonstrate good will on his part.

• re @Maounique

For the sake of fairness: Maounique already made a step: he dropped his request for an explicit apology.

While further steps might certainly be desirable and helpful, we shouldn't demand steps too big and we should give both, Maounique and @jarland a bit of time to think and to get ready for eventual further mutual steps.
    The fact that Maounique did make any step at all is a promising start.

• @bsdguy said:
    re @Maounique

For the sake of fairness: Maounique already made a step: he dropped his request for an explicit apology.

While further steps might certainly be desirable and helpful, we shouldn't demand steps too big and we should give both, Maounique and @jarland a bit of time to think and to get ready for eventual further mutual steps.

I don't think that anything more can be expected from @jarland at this point other than that he doesn't ban @Maounique because of his signature. There won't be any hugging or kissing from either party. There's no point in rehashing that old quarrel, so the only way to move forward is to move forward, and Maounique's signature is the main obstacle to this.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited October 2017

@angstrom said:

@bsdguy said:
    re @Maounique

I don't think that anything more can be expected from @jarland at this point other than that he doesn't ban @Maounique because of his signature. There won't be any hugging or kissing from either party. There's no point in rehashing that old quarrel, so the only way to move forward is to move forward, and Maounique's signature is the main obstacle to this.

Jarland made a step and unbanned me, I no longer demand an apology, but i continue to demand that such actions are not repeated against someone else. My signature is a reminder of that point, it means you cannot break the rules condoning and offering help in breaking the law, insulting someone, you and a lynch mob, then make a convoluted rule against something the user didn't do, but might look like it with a lot of twisting, ban the user then continue to lie about it and the reasons, making up stories which you know are not true when the user cannot even find out about them, let alone defend because is being banned. This is even more outrageous as it is done by someone which can be considered a community leader, a role model, defender of everyone's right to an opinion, even contrary to theirs.
    If Jarland or anyone else believes that deleting and hiding stuff on the internet is going to work, is wrong, my signature is just another proof of that.
    If I see that, for a reasonably long time, such abusive behaviour is no longer used, I will withdraw my signature, but will continue to bring up the subject if the other side repeats such acts that lead to this situation.
    But, if it is against the rules, present or future, I will modify it in order to comply. I am never advocating breaking the rules, even if absurd, just changing them to a more sane set. ATM, the rules are good, it remains to have people in power which respect them, apply them evenly and with a clean conscience.

angstrom said: Your quarrel with jarland is but a distant, faded memory in the collective mind of LET, and (if I may say so) no one here really cares to look back at it.

This is precisely why the community must be reminded about it, so when it will happen to someone else, it will not be considered again an isolated incident, let it pass.
    Or apply a ban for many months in the hope people will forget, delete the evidence then unban like nothing happened. It does not work like that, at least not with me.
    I know people do not care, I am sure the lynch mob is preparing the ropes and will strike as soon as the Grand Wizard gives the sign, but as I said before, I have seen far-far worse, this does not scare me, I will continue to do what i think is right in order to prevent this from happening again.

• @angstrom said:
    There won't be any hugging or kissing from either party.

What the frak!? I come here for the drama; this is extremely disappointing.

@JustAMacUser said:

@angstrom said:
    There won't be any hugging or kissing from either party.

What the frak!? I come here for the drama; this is extremely disappointing.

The option still exist, aldryic behaved miserably against me and i continue to believe BuyVM banned me then because i discovered some issues confirmed by others, but in the end we made peace and both parties agreed it went too far. Here I also agree this went too far, but from my point of view there is no choice, in order to prevent something from re-occurring you need to remind people how it went on previously as long as the conditions for such a thing still exist.

• @Maounique: You mentioned many points in your comment, and I'm afraid that we could spend days going back and forth. Unfortunately, I have to sort my crayons and to clean my cave before the cold weather arrives, so I'll be fairly brief!

Maounique said: If I see that, for a reasonably long time, such abusive behaviour is no longer used, I will withdraw my signature, but will continue to bring up the subject if the other side repeats such acts that lead to this situation.

What I'm suggesting is that you could withdraw your signature sooner rather than later.

In my view, @jarland sometimes overreacts: your case back in March was such an instance; the case of @deadbeef in the spring is another. A sensitive/delicate/inappropriate topic is allowed to continue for a while, and then suddenly someone expresses himself/herself in a way that jarland finds offensive/unacceptable/intolerable, and then a ban is imminent. A warning is issued beforehand, but by then the matter has become too emotional/personal/heated. This is not good.

Certain delicate topics simply don't belong on LET. Pedophilia is such a topic. Rape is another such topic. If these topics arise, they should be ended immediately, no matter whether the comments being made happen to be deemed "acceptable" or not. We're supposed to be talking about all things related to servers (which already covers a lot of ground).

At the same time, it's important not to develop tunnel vision with respect to jarland. In my experience, jarland does not systematically engage in abusive behavior -- he simply doesn't. There are many bans issued by him and the other moderators over the course of any month, and probably 99,9% of these bans are warranted and uncontroversial. No one objects to them.

Although it's understandable that you have tunnel vision with respect to jarland, if you try to widen your vision, you'll see that the situation is not as bad as you imagined it to be.

So, once again, I would ask you to consider withdrawing your signature sooner than later. This doesn't mean that you shouldn't feel free to point out any abusive behavior -- you should (and not just from jarland).

(I will leave this topic now. See you around.)

• @Maounique said:
    If I see that, for a reasonably long time, such abusive behaviour is no longer used, I will withdraw my signature, but will continue to bring up the subject if the other side repeats such acts that lead to this situation.

That's the meat (for me). It shows that @Maounique is not trying to create trouble but is ready for further deescalation.

As for @jarland, I think that his version of what happened would be quite different - and neither one would lie. That's just how we humans are; we perceive quite differently and have quite different sensibilities, priorities, etc.

Plus it happened not too long after jarland became father of a little daughter. I went through that myself and I remember well how that changes a man and his mindset. Suddenly one sees things as dangerous that weren't ago and one gets ready to defend other kids, too.

So, yes, probably jarland overreacted and smelled e.g. paedophilia where there was none but simply someone with quite strong libertarian views in some issues, who would however never even think about harming a child.

Finally I see a lot of good will, a major step from jarland unbanning Maounique. Will there ever be a "I overdid it. Apologies" - probably not. Not because jarland is an asshole but because an admin has to keep in mind certain pragmatic aspects of his job. The act of unbanning should be taken as including an unspoken gnarling "Yes, I overdid it, sorry" and it should at the same time be taken as a warning sign saying "a good sheriff protects his town, no matter what. Maybe he doesn't like to shoot but he certainly will if it's needed".

If there is room for discussion it will be in private I guess.

Whatever. I'll stick with my first post re. this matter. Nice to see you again, sometimes grumpy Maounique - and - jarland unbanned you, tolerates your sig, and didn't say a single word here, let alone a hard one. That's proof enough for me to see that he is certainly not an evil dictator.

Let's move on, shall we.

• Be a partner with gogetssl, so you can have cheap SSL certs.

• CUTA said: Be a partner with gogetssl, so you can have cheap SSL certs.

@op want free SSL not cheap SSL

• bapbap Member
    edited October 2017

@sibaper said:
    @op want free SSL not DRAMA(S)

Let me fix a thing for you.

Thanked by 2Plioser sibaper
  • @sibaper said:

CUTA said: Be a partner with gogetssl, so you can have cheap SSL certs.

@op want free SSL not cheap SSL

Yeah right. that and you can also have a free EV cert. I had this a while ago, not sure they still have this offer.

Thanked by 1Plioser
    edited October 2017

angstrom said: What I'm suggesting is that you could withdraw your signature sooner rather than later.

bsdguy said: Let's move on, shall we.

Signature removed.

bsdguy said: As for @jarland, I think that his version of what happened would be quite different - and neither one would lie.

Of course his version would be different but he did lie:
    1. He said I am a (nazi, as well as all prometeus staff, before this incident, so, you see, there was a history of abuse and lies) pedophile or at least condoning it or claiming the victims are only the pedophiles;
    2. He claimed i was a ban evader when i always said i dont do such things, it is the forum owner's right to ban me and i would never come back as long as I am not allowed, regardless of the reason, the made up rule, the abusive treatment I was exposed to by him or his yes-men in clear breach of the rules, the lies he told about me in places I could not access, made clear threats with ban if anyone would stand up to him even in the cest pit, etc;
    3. He said to move the discussion to the cest pit and I did, then he banned me and said I can contact him at the support desk and I did, just to be banned there too without an answer. I have all documented with screenshots.
    So, you see, I dont think I overreacted here, on the contrary, he violated the rules badly, he lied and tried to cover it, he used his influence and admin power to not only silence someone with other views, but also to abuse them through name calling, twisting the words, lying about them even when it was no longer possible to reply to it, directly and also tolerating similar behaviour from other people which "followed the boss".

Add to it it was not the first time for some of these actions and you will understand the only reasonable option I had was to protest politely against such a behaviour.

angstrom said: In my experience, jarland does not systematically engage in abusive behavior -- he simply doesn't. There are many bans issued by him and the other moderators over the course of any month, and probably 99,9% of these bans are warranted and uncontroversial. No one objects to them.

It is ok to abuse people now and then as long as there are some right decisions he takes too and those are the big majority? I dont agree with that view, that the police can, at times, shoot the innocent as long as the big majority of people killed were guilty, violent, dangerous, etc or that, if noone objects, it must be the right thing, maybe the previous examples made people wary of expressing their true opinions and teaches them to keep their mouth shut or, even worse, join the chorus of yes-men?

Let's just hope this will not happen again, but simply hoping and praying is usually not enough, regardless one cult or the other someone adheres to. It is our duty to explain and educate people about tolerance and rejecting hate, haters usually make their own lives difficult through frustration and reactions they will probably regret later or simply become animals instead of humans, losing all logic and decency if not nudged now and then.

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • CUTA said: Yeah right. that and you can also have a free EV cert. I had this a while ago, not sure they still have this offer.

even if that still availabe that not what OP asking, which is no longer availabe. OP asking for personal web.

Thanked by 1Plioser
  • sibaper said: OP asking for personal web

Correct. Is for my own personal website (ttRSS, Nextcloud, etc.).

• @Maounique said: angstrom said: In my experience, jarland does not systematically engage in abusive behavior -- he simply doesn't. There are many bans issued by him and the other moderators over the course of any month, and probably 99,9% of these bans are warranted and uncontroversial. No one objects to them.

It is ok to abuse people now and then as long as there are some right decisions he takes too and those are the big majority? I dont agree with that view, that the police can, at times, shoot the innocent as long as the big majority of people killed were guilty, violent, dangerous, etc.

For the record, that's not my view, as you can easily imagine! To say that @jarland doesn't systematically engage in abusive behavior is certainly not to excuse him when/if he does engage in abusive behavior!

But: putting all of that aside, I much appreciate your decision to withdraw that signature. :-)

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • @Maounique

OK, let's assume that everything you say is objectively right - then what? I think we have seen the limits of how far @jarland is willing to go towards you. He (more or less quietly) unbanned you. Well noted, while that's not 100% of what might be desirable it's much more than what you'd get at most places where being banned means "for life and being forgotten, period, end of story".

What jarland did might not look like much but it is more than most admins would do. And it clearly shows a good side of him and a willingness to think again about things after some time.

You having changed your sig is a great step. For one it shows that you are not out for trouble and that you can move on, too. Moreover it changes your image in a good way (which will change the other sides attitude towards you, too).

As for Prometeus, don't worry, there are quite some customers here who would defend Prometeus; I know because I'm one of them. Moreover wrt Prometeus jarlands view (whatever that may be) is just one view among many and almost certainly not even the view which carries most weight.
    Even if jarland wanted to talk against Prometeus (well noted, I do not imply that he does or wants to), so what; one or two of the more respected users here would easily counter balance that negative view (if it wasn't well based but just smearing).

Finally, regarding yourself: You are the single most important factor wrt to your image and standing here. What you did today was a very good and powerful first step. In the end it's simple. If people repeatedly see you making well reflected and knowledgeable statements and acting in a generally constructive way anyone with a grudge against you will have a hard time to bend views or to put you in a bad light.

Welcome back, Maounique ;)

• bsdguy said: You are the single most important factor wrt to your image and standing here. [..] In the end it's simple. If people repeatedly see you making well reflected and knowledgeable statements and acting in a generally constructive way anyone with a grudge against you will have a hard time to bend views or to put you in a bad light.

That's true. Your contribution is often very valuable and it seems to me that those who come here often and read what you write know want to think of all this: no need to fight, everyone probably already has his/her own opinion.

It seems to me that it's important to see LET for what it is, and to keep some healthy distance: this is just another internet forum, owned by a quite big company, it's not intended to be free-speech-land and while we might want to argue about some rules or disagree on the way it evolved across the years, it still is an interesting place - but hey, it's just another internet forum.

Welcome back, happy to see you here - and thanks for your many valuable posts!

Thanked by 1Maounique
    edited October 2017

bsdguy said: I think we have seen the limits of how far @jarland is willing to go towards you. He (more or less quietly) unbanned you.

I still do not know why he did it, the supposedly private discussion when i was warning him that unbanning me will not mean I will keep quiet and tolerate abuse did not enlighten me on why he did it, especially since i made it clear I can prove all his abuse and the attempts to cover it, warning him in advance and giving time to rectify what I thought was an error.
    From what he did not do, more than from what he did, I can imply he was somewhat sorry for his behaviour and this is why I am willing to go far to put this incident away, but the main issue remains, there was abuse and it has not been unequivocally repaired and could happen again at any time, even more, he will probably invoke my previous bans as an excuse as he and his yes-men kept doing.
    On the other hand I can understand he is not an impartial robot and has feelings and opinions, but this is why we have rules in place, so everyone knows what is and is not allowed and he broke the rules in many ways, not by banning me, which is his sole judgement, but by calling names and lying, hiding up the evidence, tolerating incredible abuse against me from others just because they agreed with him and making up a rule post-factum to justify my ban, even though he knew i did not break that rule even, then threatening bans against anyone discussing his decision, even in the cest pit.

All in all, i can't say I am unhappy with the way things went, as you said this is much more than I would have got in other places where admins are also the owners, as I said, I hope this will not happen again, or, if it does happen, he wont panic and go defensive losing all what was left of the common sense in the process. I am a reasonable person and can accept mistakes can happen, I also learned a few things and if I see similar things I will definitely take a different stance which makes a sane resolution faster and more convenient for all parties.

As for my image, I couldn't care less, I only care for the truth and for what I believe it is the right thing to do. I do not protest the mud slinging, lies, name calling etc because they might affect my "image", I protest because they are against the rules and because they do not reflect the truth.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

This thread is allegedly about free SSL providers.

Discussion of the vicissitudes of @Maounique's digital life belongs in the Cest Pit.

Thanked by 2Plioser ehab
  • What free SSL certs are out there for S/MIME (with 1 year or longer validity)?

• sibapersibaper Member
    edited October 2017

@Lunics said:
    What free SSL certs are out there for S/MIME (with 1 year or longer validity)?

Comodo

• PlioserPlioser Member
    edited October 2017

@sibaper said:

@Lunics said:
    What free SSL certs are out there for S/MIME (with 1 year or longer validity)?

Comodo

Where? Because I'm still looking for a free cert with more than 3 months of validity.

In GoGetSSL you have to renew the free Comodo cert every 90 days:

• Plioser said: Where? Because I'm still looking for a free cert with more than 3 months of validity.

https://www.comodo.com/home/email-security/free-email-certificate.php

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited October 2017

I see that the one-man TLS FUD brigade has returned. Here is the previous thread where @bsdguy was provably talking out of his ass and failing to understand even the simplest points and concepts regarding TLS (and OpenSSL!), in case anybody was wondering about his qualifications on the topic.

EDIT: Regarding OP's question: Let's Encrypt is your one and only serious option. Other options include:

• CACert - free, but not trusted by major browsers and OSes.
    • Comodo - only free for 90 days; it's a "trial certificate", not an actual free certificate. Their marketing is misleading.
    • StartCom/WoSign - distrusted by most browsers and OSes due to gross incompetence. In other words, not really any more useful than a self-signed certificate.
    • CloudFlare - doesn't actually provide you with free certificates; rather, you proxy all your traffic through their servers (which is a massive security issue), and they set up TLS on their own servers. Bad idea.

In other words: it's either Let's Encrypt or nothing, really. You're probably better off figuring out whatever issue you're having with Let's Encrypt, and get it to work.

Thanked by 2rm_ TheLinuxBug
  • @joepie91 said:
    I see that the one-man TLS FUD brigade has returned. Here is the previous thread where @bsdguy was provably talking out of his ass and failing to understand even the simplest points and concepts regarding TLS (and OpenSSL!), in case anybody was wondering about his qualifications on the topic.

Thank you. That saves me the efforts to show that you try to compensate your cluelessness with a big snout.

We just saw the tip of yet another ssl/tls disaster iceberg (fips- certificated infineon ssl/tls stuff in i.a. estland id cards) yet the ssl/tls sectarians just continue to mindlessly and stubbornly attack anyone hinting at ssl/tls being crap.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited October 2017

bsdguy said: We just saw the tip of yet another ssl/tls disaster iceberg (fips- certificated infineon ssl/tls stuff in i.a. estland id cards) yet the ssl/tls sectarians just continue to mindlessly and stubbornly attack anyone hinting at ssl/tls being crap.

And there we go again with the expert-sounding bullshit. The Infineon incident had absolutely nothing to do with TLS/SSL.

If you'd bothered to do even a modicum of research, you'd know that it concerned a bug in a hardware implementation of RSA. Of the >1000 factorizable keys that were found, a grand total of 15 were used to generate the underlying keypair for publicly used TLS certificates; all of them apparently from a single implementation and/or party.

You know what the real issue was here? A non-auditable proprietary RSA implementation in hardware crypto devices. It's a generic cryptographic primitive; zero direct relation to TLS.