Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Curious: How many clients per node do VPS providers put?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Curious: How many clients per node do VPS providers put?

Just curious. 50, 100, 200?

What about different visualizations? OpenVZ = more clients per server?

Comments

• I dont think that you will get a true value. Why should a provider say: Ok tbh, 200 is our limit :)

Wont be good for their image.

• I think though I am not sure, XenHVM has 512 max while XenPV is 256 ? Correct Me If I am wrong ? Anyone?

• yywudiyywudi Member
    edited August 2013

one important thing is the Node HW spec, especially the RAM I think, such as 32G RAM node or 128G RAM node.
    and i think this question is he business secret?

• @yywudi I thought CPU was the final limit, not the RAM. 1 Xeon across 200 clients I think is overkill.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited August 2013

Miami the max is 64

Phoenix 100

Netherlands 100

UK 100

Germany 32

Miami node's are dual hex, 128GB Ram, 8 disk raid 10

Phoenix, Netherlands, UK quad core, 32GB Ram, 4 disk raid 10

Germany, quad core, 32GB Ram, Raid 5

There you go :)

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • c0yc0y Member

@jimaek said:
    yywudi I thought CPU was the final limit, not the RAM. 1 Xeon across 200 clients I think is overkill.

That's 68Mhz dedicated to every user on an E3, that's a shit ton for idle VPS as bash generally uses... 1Mhz?

Not to mention other people can use the unused CPU time. There is no limit on CPU, it can only get a bit slow when the scheduler has to cut shares.

• @AnthonySmith

How many on LES?

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited August 2013

@trexos said:
    AnthonySmith

How many on LES?

haha

quad core (no HT), 4 or 8GB RAM, single disk, This is OpenVZ though my previous numbers are on Xen.

Example NL LES Node:

Virtualization:openvz
    Virtual Servers:200
    Ram Allocated:13.19 GB
    Bandwidth Allocated:99.7 TB
    Bandwidth Used:418.79 GB
    IPv4 Allocated:200
    NODE MEMORY: 1.94 GB of 3.73 GB used / 1.79 GB free

So I think this node would take another 1 - 200 containers no problem :)

• This does all depends on the hardware as others have said; however on our typical setups we have an arbitrary limit of 60 VPS per node.

The above limit is a reference however and really the number should be based on historical metrics for that node and the users on that node. If we find at 20VPS this node is getting to the limits of its performance based on the usage profile of the clients on there we will cap that node.

• @AnthonySmith

Thanks for the inforamtion. Glad to see that you provide a transparent service :)

• fileMEDIAfileMEDIA Member
    edited August 2013

I think the real limit is the I/O performance. We put max. 45 VMs per Node (KVM), with more VMs you´ll got a slowdown of the I/O performance (8x HDDs in a Raid10). You need SSDs for more VMs on a node with max 8x HDDs.

• letboxletbox Member, Patron Provider
    edited August 2013

Depend on HW space our minimum 44 VPS and 55 VPS Maximum per node.