Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blocked in China
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Blocked in China

I am a teacher in China and used one of the suppliers listed here to set up educational software called Moodle which runs on top of a LAMP stack. Five weeks in to using it and none of my students can now access the site and I can only do so through a VPN. The site is not shown as blocked using "BlockedinChina.com" but it is certainly inaccessible. I have a hosted service elsewhere which is not blocked but it is pretty crappy and I don't want to go back to it.
Anyone running a cheap server with users in China?

Comments

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

What's cheap for you?

I assume it's relatively low bandwidth. If so, then you should consider hosting in HK. Low bandwidth hosting plans are not expensive by any stretch.

• 老师好,你域名没备案吧,国内用阿里云啦。学校局域网弄个服务器不是更好,如果像北邮这种每台电脑都有公网ip的更简单啦。

• hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider

We offer cheap vpses for china optimized network.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@kousinnryou said:
    老师好,你域名没备案吧,国内用阿里云啦。学校局域网弄个服务器不是更好,如果像北邮这种每台电脑都有公网ip的更简单啦。

This is English speaking only forum. Please respect other users. Post flagged for moderators.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Would it not make sense to host it in China, on many levels?

• @AnthonySmith said:

AFAIK Hosting in mainland china requires lots of paperwork?

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

sanvit said: AFAIK Hosting in mainland china requires lots of paperwork?

sure, but its for educational purposes, life requires paperwork :)

• @sanvit said:

@AnthonySmith said:

AFAIK Hosting in mainland china requires lots of paperwork?

No idea, but Taobao has plenty of VPS offers.

A Hong Kong provider might also give you speedy access. Aliyun or alibabacloud.com should be good too.

Also, you have dedicated IP? If there are other domains on the IP maybe the hole IP got blocked. October is always the worst month for getting through the GFW.

Thanked by 1hostdare

Anybody from china has idea if gfw blocks are permanent or temporary ?

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

hostdare said: Anybody from china has idea if gfw blocks are permanent or temporary ?

Both! Depends on who you are and why you're blocked.

• Party is going to have this grand meeting. Many ips have been blocked. Suggest you wait till november to see how many choices you have.

• @hostdare said:
    Anybody from china has idea if gfw blocks are permanent or temporary ?

According to some technicians, you can try mtr you ip. If packets lost on one or two hops, it's temporary. If packets lost on all hops outside CN, it's permanent.

Xiaoming said: Party is going to have this grand meeting. Many ips have been blocked. Suggest you wait till november to see how many choices you have.

when meeting is ending ?

• @hostdare said:September 25th

Xiaoming said: Party is going to have this grand meeting. Many ips have been blocked. Suggest you wait till november to see how many choices you have.

when meeting is ending ?

• @summerstar said:sorry.October 25th

@hostdare said:September 25th

when meeting is ending ?

• WSSWSS Member

GODDAMMIT THIS ISN'T OUTLOOK. TYPE YOUR RESPONSE AT THE BOTTOM.

• Thanks guys. Tracked down a HK host with reasonable prices and pings so I will see how I will get on. Worst thing about it - you don't know when your new site becomes useless.

• I think you'll know exactly when it becomes useless.

• Well last time I checked, paper was still cheap and the postman still had a job.