Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tunneling/ encryption that works in China
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Tunneling/ encryption that works in China

FritzFritz Veteran
edited October 2017 in General

Hi guys,

This weekend I will go to China for business trip.

I'm wondering if WhatsApp is really blocked in there?

What is the best tunnelling/encryption do you suggest?

Comments

• WSSWSS Member

Enjoy your trip, and don't try to circumvent TGFoC.

• gkzgkz Member

ask @netomx, and get him as friend on China :D

Thanked by 1netomx
  • WhatsApp really blocked in China? I was assuming only FB, TWTR, and telegram...

• WhatsApp really blocked in China? I was assuming only FB, TWTR, and telegram...

Probably due to the relationship WhatsApp has with FB.

Thanked by 1dedipromo
  • WhatsApp is blocked.

Use shadowsocks for best speed. Otherwise OpenVPN.

If you use 4G data roaming with a foreign carrier in China. The connection won't be censored.

Thanked by 1pluush
  • FritzFritz Veteran
    edited October 2017

@dedipromo said:
    WhatsApp really blocked in China? I was assuming only FB, TWTR, and telegram...

Yes, i read it on the newspaper.
    WhatsApp users are not able to send text message or multimedia messages.

@rustyhalo said:
    WhatsApp is blocked.

Use shadowsocks for best speed. Otherwise OpenVPN.

If you use 4G data roaming with a foreign carrier in China. The connection won't be censored.

I will enable data roaming with unlimited plan there. Any suggestion which provider gives the best speed with less censorship?

@WSS said:
    Enjoy your trip, and don't try to circumvent TGFoC.

Yeah sure :)

• dergelbedergelbe Member
    edited October 2017

@rustyhalo said:
    WhatsApp is blocked.

Let me repeat: WhatsApp is blocked.

Get at least Lantern, it works well in China.

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/126455/china-methods

I will enable data roaming with unlimited plan there. Any suggestion which provider gives the best speed with less cencorship?

From my knowledge most out of country data roaming is unblocked. And I doubt you have a choice of provider in China, it's either CM or CU. If you have a choice, go for CU because of CM's 3G (TD-SCDMA instead of international 3G)

• rustyhalorustyhalo Member
    edited October 2017

Fritz said: I will enable data roaming with unlimited plan there. Any suggestion which provider gives the best speed with less censorship?

As long as you are roaming 4G with a non-Chinese carrier, it doesn't matter. The connection is handled by your carrier anyway. They will use Chinese carrier's facility and thats it.

I am currently using Google Project Fi in China. The carrier indicator displayed as China Mobile, but the IP address I got is from T-Mobile.

• salakissalakis Member
    edited October 2017

@Fritz said:

I will enable data roaming with unlimited plan there. Any suggestion which provider gives the best speed with less censorship?

You can get a SIM card in Hong Kong that has uncensored data access in China (backhauled through Hong Kong), I remember that China Unicom HK had one that even had two numbers (+852 and +86), however the data connection was absolutely terrible and often I was stuck on 2G (couldn't roam on 4G), therefore I wouldn't expect anything that great with roaming.

I suggest you get a proper Chinese one, not sure how stricter the regulations got, but last year I was able to buy a preactivated China Unicom SIM card at a small street booth (looked very shady but it worked).
    Just make sure that you have the Shadowsocks app ready to go before you go to China.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @salakis said:
    last year I was able to buy a preactivated China Unicom SIM card at a small street booth (looked very shady but it worked).

Most of them will not sell without ID, and they can only handle Chinese ID. If you can manage it's about RMB60 or so. As foreigner you need to go to an official Unicom or CM outlet and buy one for about RMB150

My opinion, if you are only short time in China, go for data roaming with an outside China SIM (but you never know, so prepare some VPN anyway, once you are in China it's too late)

• dergelbe said: (but you never know, so prepare some VPN anyway, once you are in China it's too late)

So true, please be noted that PPTP and L2TP is not working anymore in China. If you need a VPN, get Cisco AnyConnect or OpenVPN.

• @dergelbe said:
    Most of them will not sell without ID, and they can only handle Chinese ID. If you can manage it's about RMB60 or so. As foreigner you need to go to an official Unicom or CM outlet and buy one for about RMB150

I wouldn't even bother without a Chinese ID or resident's ID at one of the official stores, especially if you're not in a tier 1 city, but else in the streets it's far from impossible when you nicely ask the vendors who have stacks of SIM cards and give them 50-100 RMB extra (again, referring to last year). It's worth a shot and the quality of service is substantially better provided that you use a decent service to bypass the GFW. Also with a local SIM and Shadowsocks for Android you can choose which apps are bypassing the proxy which ensures a smooth experience with Chinese apps, the most useful one probably being Baidu Maps which was else insanely slow.

My opinion, if you are only short time in China, go for data roaming with an outside China SIM (but you never know, so prepare some VPN anyway, once you are in China it's too late)

And bear in mind redundancy. Have at least a secondary Shadowsocks server up and running just in case the GFW is going wild.

• @salakis said:

@dergelbe said:

I wouldn't even bother without a Chinese ID or resident's ID at one of the official stores,

At the official Unicom or China Mobile stores in China it's no problem to buy a SIM with your passport. I had some older SIM and got SMS to register them or they will be switched off. So I did.

My experience about PPTP, L2TP, OpenVPN, Lantern, Shadowsocks, OperaVPN is, it all worked - but that was 2 weeks ago and things can be different now (please different places, networks, the GFW is not one uniform thing)

• @dergelbe said:
    At the official Unicom or China Mobile stores in China it's no problem to buy a SIM with your passport.

I lived in a lower tier city at that point and getting fixed internet at China Telecom was quite a challenge with my Chinese skills. One Unicom shop in the more rural area of that city was known for refusing to sell to anyone without a Chinese ID or resident ID. I just wouldn't go through all that hassle in a smaller city. But again, quite sure that it's a different experience in tier 1 cities.

My experience about PPTP, L2TP, OpenVPN, Lantern, Shadowsocks, OperaVPN is, it all worked - but that was 2 weeks ago and things can be different now (please different places, networks, the GFW is not one uniform thing)

Last year business line CU and resident line CT in Guangdong both worked fine with PPTP to my surprise. OpenVPN connected and worked for a minute, but then massive packet loss appeared and eventually it died entirely. Shadowsocks was and is the way to go and worked well in other provinces as well (for me at least).

• PPTP、L2TP、OpenVPN、Lantern、Shadowsocks、OperaVPN can not working china now

• dearroydearroy Member, Host Rep

Shadowsocks still works.

• @dearroy said:
    Shadowsocks still works.

On which port?

@dergelbe said:

@rustyhalo said:
    WhatsApp is blocked.

Let me repeat: WhatsApp is blocked.

Get at least Lantern, it works well in China.

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/126455/china-methods

I will enable data roaming with unlimited plan there. Any suggestion which provider gives the best speed with less cencorship?

From my knowledge most out of country data roaming is unblocked. And I doubt you have a choice of provider in China, it's either CM or CU. If you have a choice, go for CU because of CM's 3G (TD-SCDMA instead of international 3G)

Will CM support my device?

@rustyhalo said:

Fritz said: I will enable data roaming with unlimited plan there. Any suggestion which provider gives the best speed with less censorship?

As long as you are roaming 4G with a non-Chinese carrier, it doesn't matter. The connection is handled by your carrier anyway. They will use Chinese carrier's facility and thats it.

I am currently using Google Project Fi in China. The carrier indicator displayed as China Mobile, but the IP address I got is from T-Mobile.

Good to know that :)

@dergelbe said:

@salakis said:

@dergelbe said:

I wouldn't even bother without a Chinese ID or resident's ID at one of the official stores,

At the official Unicom or China Mobile stores in China it's no problem to buy a SIM with your passport. I had some older SIM and got SMS to register them or they will be switched off. So I did.

How about now? Have you tried it?

• dergelbedergelbe Member
    edited October 2017

@Fritz said:
    Will CM support my device?

The technical information is there, just check your phone.

About lantern, you get an idea how it performs here:

https://github.com/getlantern/lantern/issues

• Alright, thanks guys for your help.

See you in Canton Fair in Guangzhou. :)

Thanked by 1netomx
  • WhatsApp works fine over Shadowsocks

Thanked by 1daffy
  • jhjh Member
    edited October 2017

Ha. I was at the Canton Fair in Guangzhou 2 years ago (please tell me you're not at the awful Guangdong Hotel). Definitely sort out a few VPN options before you get there - trying to sort it out while you're there is a nightmare. Astrill is a good bet.

You can pick up China Unicom SIM cards everywhere. Their network is better than China Mobile but worse than China Telecom. I don't think that foreigners can get CT SIM cards.

If you get fed up with eating "what the fuck is it" then stop at Liede - loads of great restaurants there and not too expensive. The Pizza Hut is better than any western Pizza Hut - the choice is immense. It's a good place to stop if you forgot to pack anything too - a couple of small but not-too-shady grocery stores, a Decathlon and loads of ATMs and taxis dotted around.

Starbucks is a good place to stop if you need WiFi and is possibly the only place that takes Amex cards.

... Oh the time I had in Guangzhou ...

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Fritz said: See you in Canton Fair in Guangzhou

See you there, pal!

• @jh What a loser! Who uses AMEX anyway...?

Especially after Costco ditched them lol

• @jh said:
    Ha. I was at the Canton Fair in Guangzhou 2 years ago (please tell me you're not at the awful Guangdong Hotel). Definitely sort out a few VPN options before you get there - trying to sort it out while you're there is a nightmare. Astrill is a good bet.

You can pick up China Unicom SIM cards everywhere. Their network is better than China Mobile but worse than China Telecom. I don't think that foreigners can get CT SIM cards.

If you get fed up with eating "what the fuck is it" then stop at Liede - loads of great restaurants there and not too expensive. The Pizza Hut is better than any western Pizza Hut - the choice is immense. It's a good place to stop if you forgot to pack anything too - a couple of small but not-too-shady grocery stores, a Decathlon and loads of ATMs and taxis dotted around.

Starbucks is a good place to stop if you need WiFi and is possibly the only place that takes Amex cards.

... Oh the time I had in Guangzhou ...

I decided to buy a new Sim Card there. It will cost around 200RMB that will last 6 months unmetered Internet included.

Good to know your story :)

@netomx said:

Fritz said: See you in Canton Fair in Guangzhou

See you there, pal!

Got it ;)

Thanked by 1netomx
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

Sorry for the off topic, but we in Portugal are quite limited in terms of bw allocation for our 4G carriers. Is there any chance I can buy a SIM card from another country and use it here? Like, 10/20GB bw or maybe even more.

• MikePT said: Sorry for the off topic, but we in Portugal are quite limited in terms of bw allocation for our 4G carriers. Is there any chance I can buy a SIM card from another country and use it here? Like, 10/20GB bw or maybe even more.

I guess you could use a Three UK simcard? I'm paying just shy of 20GBP per month, and I can get 35(?)GB in the EU/'feel at home' countries

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • @Fritz said:
    I decided to buy a new Sim Card there. It will cost around 200RMB that will last 6 months unmetered Internet included.

You have a link? To my knowledge China has no unmetered SIM.

• shadowsocks always ease off the pain

• FritzFritz Veteran
    edited October 2017

@dergelbe said:

@Fritz said:

You have a link? To my knowledge China has no unmetered SIM.

You can buy it at The Festival. They told me it was unlimited.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

I buy them on the airport... 250RMB for 5GB i think... plenty of data btw