Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

cPanel DNSOnly, domain DNS errors...
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

cPanel DNSOnly, domain DNS errors...

phila82rphila82r Member
edited August 2013 in Help

Hello to everyone, I'm really hoping I will get someone to help me with this problem or point me in the right direction. I've been scouring the internet and forums for a solution to my problem, but I cannot find anything. So basically, it's my first time setting up a DNS cluster. Really simple diagram:

boo.hostingparcel.com(cPanel)

| |

| |__dns1.hostingparcel.com(DNSOnly) (For ns1 and ns3.hostingparcel.com)

|

|______dns2.hostingparcel.com(DNSOnly) (For ns2 and ns4.hostingparcel.com)

Here's how the DNS cluster has been configured, on each machine:

On dns1.hostingparcel.com > Connects remotely to boo.hostingparcel.com with DNSRole set as "Standalone" > (DNS Path Diagram dns1.hostingparcel.com)

On dns2.hostingparcel.com > Connects remotely to boo.hostingparcel.com with DNSRole set as "Standalone" > (DNS Path Diagram dns2.hostingparcel.com)

On boo.hostingparcel.com > Connects remotely to dns1.hostingparcel.com with DNSRole set as "Synchronizing"
boo.hostingparcel.com > Connects remotely to dns2.hostingparcel.com with DNSRole set as "Synchronizing" > (DNS Path Diagram is like the one drawn above)

ns1 and ns2 are currently NS for my old server. ns3 and ns4 are for the new server, to test if everything is working out. The ns3 and ns4 were created at my registrar using dns1.hostingparcel.com's IP and dns2.hostingparcel.com's IP. I created entries for ns3 and 4 on hostingparcel.com's DNS Zone with the same IPs.

So, yesterday, when I thought everything was working, I transferred an account to boo.hostingparcel.com and created a DNS Zone for that domain. But still today, when I look @ nukern.com's DNS, I get some errors reported from different sites. Some of those errors are:

-None of the name servers responded in a timely manner

-Less than Two Name Servers Found

-Serial numbers do not match (We found no Serial Numbers)

-No nameservers provided an SOA record for the zone. You should configure your nameservers to have a master slave relationship. The update of the zone information to the slave nameservers should be handled through the SOA record.

-No MX records exist within the zone. This is legal, but if you want to receive E-mail on this domain, you should have MX record(s). The program can't continue in a case like this, so we are assuming you don't receive mail on this domain.

-Etc...

It looks like something is wrong or not syncing or... where should I be looking? I tried so many things... no idea what to look for...

Thank you a whole lot for anything that could help me solve the problem!
Phil

Comments

• As someone just told me;

"Why not show us a DNS report that might explain more than a heap of text"

Here's a link to a dns report:

http://www.dnsinspect.com/nukern.com

Or check the attached image bellow!

• DalCompDalComp Member
    edited August 2013

intoDNS shows nothing wrong and the website is actually working fine.
    http://www.intodns.com/nukern.com

Unless you have trouble accessing the website, I'd say just let it be for now. DNSInspect AFAIK is using cache and updates less frequently compared to intoDNS. DNS propagation does take time.

• Thanks for the reply DalComp. See, the things is, I wanna make sure everything is rock-solid before I move any clients on the server. DNSInspect might be using cache, but it's always been pretty accurate for me.

If I try to ping ns3.hostingparcel.com, it gives me "Ping request could not find host ns4.hostingparcel.com. Please check the name and try again."

nukern.com was using ns1 and ns2, and I switched the ns at my registrar for ns3 and ns4, and DNSInspect is showing ns3 and ns4.

• On your linked DNSInspect page:
    Report created on: Mon, 12 Aug 2013 10:56:01 GMT

That is over 12 hours ago. If you added/changed host for ns3 and ns4 recently, it might have not been reflected on the report.

nslookup shows the same server IP as the one pointed by intoDNS. If it is the correct IP for the new server, I guess there's nothing wrong with your DNS servers. It's just DNS propagation matters, though if you really want to make sure with DNSInspect then wait until they clear cache or update the report.

• phila82rphila82r Member
    edited August 2013

The changes were made more than 24 hours ago... But yeah, I didn't see the report date... But I just went and recreated a report, now it's Report created on: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 00:15:52 GMT and that gives me the exact same thing...

Also, why would I be able to ping ns1 but not ns3 from command prompt? I cleared my dns cache as well...

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> ping ns3.hostingparcel.com
    Ping request could not find host ns3.hostingparcel.com. Please check the name and try again.
    PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> ping ns1.hostingparcel.com
    Pinging ns1.hostingparcel.com [xx.xx.xx.xx] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from xx.xx.xx.xx: bytes=32 time=30ms TTL=57
    Reply from xx.xx.xx.xx: bytes=32 time=32ms TTL=57
    Reply from xx.xx.xx.xx: bytes=32 time=33ms TTL=57
    Reply from xx.xx.xx.xx: bytes=32 time=29ms TTL=57
    Ping statistics for xx.xx.xx.xx:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 29ms, Maximum = 33ms, Average = 31ms

Edit: I really appreciate your help by the way :)

• Okay first of all you should fix this error Reverse for 199.58.161.152 points to an unknown host name (dns1.hostingparcelservers.com). add an A record or change the reverse to what it should be, second of all I wouldn't use the command prompt for testing since dns queries will probably fetched from your ISP's dns server or even google dns, use the dig tool on linux like " dig nukern.com @199.58.161.152" use your nameservers ips to get more acurate information on what is going on.

are you going to be adding ns1 and ns2 also to your domain for extra fallback. The problem of no A records should disappear from that site soon since they do resolve ns3.hostingparcel.com. 14400 IN A 199.58.161.152

• Thanks for your post pkr5770! I'll take a look at everything and try it tomorrow evening, was about to go crash... Zzz!

• same i'm in between being able to sleep and not :(

• Wake up people, it's only 11.10 AM and you're taking a nap already? :P

• 5:11 am here :P