Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to install Window 7 on Linode.com vps !
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to install Window 7 on Linode.com vps !

I tried to search many times but didn't find the way to install Window on Linode.com

I hope someone can help !

Comments

• It is linode.com, not winode.com

Thanked by 1feezioxiii
  • TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited October 2017

Hello @vaotam,

This is because it is illegal to run non-server based Microsoft operating systems in a virtual environment without using specific licensed versions (Volume license, Enterprise + SA) which are expensive . While it is possible, Windows 7 (standard editions) are not licensed in a way which it is legal to run in a virtual environment. As such, running Windows 7 on a VM would be a grey area. While you can install it, it isn't legal to run on an virtual platform without specific license types.

To clarify, there are some cases where it is legal but you are talking about spending a lot of money to accomplish it and most hosts are not going to pay for the type of licenses needed to do so. Per this article and this official licensing document from Microsoft while it is possible to license you are talking about purchasing Volume or Enterprise+SA licenses to accomplish this, which are by no means or in any way cheap. Per my quick review, you are looking at between $300-$400 USD for a single Windows 7 Enterprise license + SA, just to give you an example (which would allow you to run 4 Windows 7 VMs).

So, in short, unless you want to break the law it will cost you dearly to run Windows 7 in a virtualized environment. This is also why no hosting companies that follow the law offer Windows 7 as an installation option, including Linnode.

As I mentioned in my first paragraph, while you may be able to search around Google and find someone providing information on how to install it, doing so would still be considered illegal without the correct licensing and likely against your hosts AUP/TOS.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

Thanked by 1marrco
  • @TheLinuxBug said:

break the law

Just wanted to add that most, if not all, jurisdictions don't count the wording of Terms of Service and other binding agreements as "law". Go against it and you're merely breaking the terms of the contract, not the law, so you can't be criminally charged (unless your actions actually go against real laws passed by your respective government, of course). At worst, your service will be pulled or you'll be sued -- most likely the former unless you're an a-hole that causes real, substantial damage to Microsoft.

Thanked by 2realbusiness classy
  • @Mitsuhashi said:

@TheLinuxBug said:

break the law

Just wanted to add that most, if not all, jurisdictions don't count the wording of Terms of Service and other binding agreements as "law". Go against it and you're merely breaking the terms of the contract, not the law, so you can't be criminally charged (unless your actions actually go against real laws passed by your respective government, of course). At worst, your service will be pulled or you'll be sued -- most likely the former unless you're an a-hole that causes real, substantial damage to Microsoft.

Why.... why would you bump a half-year old thread??

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

Sue Lincode.

• bapbap Member

go to vultr and create a slipstream iso

• @doghouch said:
    Why??

Oops, sorry, didn't check dates. At least it was 6 months, not 6 years, old. Ha.