Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

i/o
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

i/o

i/o How much is suitable for creating a website

Comments

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited October 2017

Money How much does one need for a living
    See the problem? Right - It depends on the website/lifestyle.

Is the site static? Is it database driven? How many visitors? Is the site read/write intensive? It would be really great if you could start being more elaborate with your questions so that people can help instead of being tempted to shitpost.

• WSSWSS Member

Plenty should be suitable.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

I would say enough to go around

• bsdguybsdguy Member
    edited October 2017

@tos said:
    i/o How much is suitable for creating a website

You need 821. No more, no less. Don't be fooled by some dubious VPS providers into buying a VPS with less or with more i/o! Demand a VPS with 821 i/o! Insist on it, as it is well known in professional circles that a good web site needs 821 i/o. Adding more needlessly increases your costs, having less will slow down your web site brutally and make it all but unreachable.

• gleertgleert Member, Host Rep

bsdguy said:

You need 821. No more, no less.

all our VPSes comply with this

• @gleert said:

bsdguy said:

I'm pleased to read that. But it's still too early to celebrate. There are still certain black sheep out there who make a handsome profit from tricking unsuspecting customers into buying 850 or even 900 i/o which, to make it worse, are just virtual i/o those providers got in large numbers and cheap through dubious sources.

To name an example: I know of a case where certain dark figures (like @WSS) mine virtual i/os on some of their idle systems and sell those flaky i/os to providers who then mix them with some real i/os into packages of e.g. 850 i/os to be sold to unsuspecting customers who are wondering how their web site is so slow although they've purchased those "reserve i/os" those providers talked them into buying. Of course, those providers conveniently "forget" to mention that only about 2/3 of those 850 i/os are real i/os while about 1/3 is flaky virtual i/os, leaving the customer with considerably less than the required 821 i/os and hence with an all but dead web site.

Now, before you hit on me, keep in mind that we as a community will need to talk about some shady corners so as to save our reputation!

I'll say it frankly and clearly: That practice is an abomination! Being at the mercy of a hypervisor the customer can't see whether his i/os are real ones or flaky dark market ones; he is left at the mercy of the provider.

Let us be clear about this issue! We're all humans and need to make money. So I won't make fuzz about providers occasionally overprovisioning i/os (say, 850) to make some extra bucks. What is not acceptable however is to abuse the customers trust by selling flaky dark market virtual i/os!

Thanked by 1flatland_spider
  • hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider

what kind of website are you looking to make ?

• WSSWSS Member
    edited October 2017

@bsdguy made a joke! He made a joke! He did! I'm so proud of the hairy little bastard.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

• @bsdguy said:

@gleert said:

bsdguy said:

I'm pleased to read that. But it's still too early to celebrate. There are still certain black sheep out there who make a handsome profit from tricking unsuspecting customers into buying 850 or even 900 i/o which, to make it worse, are just virtual i/o those providers got in large numbers and cheap through dubious sources.

To name an example: I know of a case where certain dark figures (like @WSS) mine virtual i/os on some of their idle systems and sell those flaky i/os to providers who then mix them with some real i/os into packages of e.g. 850 i/os to be sold to unsuspecting customers who are wondering how their web site is so slow although they've purchased those "reserve i/os" those providers talked them into buying. Of course, those providers conveniently "forget" to mention that only about 2/3 of those 850 i/os are real i/os while about 1/3 is flaky virtual i/os, leaving the customer with considerably less than the required 821 i/os and hence with an all but dead web site.

Now, before you hit on me, keep in mind that we as a community will need to talk about some shady corners so as to save our reputation!

I'll say it frankly and clearly: That practice is an abomination! Being at the mercy of a hypervisor the customer can't see whether his i/os are real ones or flaky dark market ones; he is left at the mercy of the provider.

Let us be clear about this issue! We're all humans and need to make money. So I won't make fuzz about providers occasionally overprovisioning i/os (say, 850) to make some extra bucks. What is not acceptable however is to abuse the customers trust by selling flaky dark market virtual i/os!

I disagree, 821 is not the correct number. The correct number is 820. 821 can cause very critical issues including forcing the system into read-only mode or even as far as making the server explode.

• bsdguybsdguy Member
    edited October 2017

@jarland said:

As much as I understand the importance of a towel, I'm quite shocked that you of all, you the admin, seem to take the issue lightly.

Do I need to remind anyone that server i/os are 48-bit integers (not 42!) and hence rapidly nearing depletion?!
    There are, in fact, whole regions, particularly in Asia with it's high populations, suffering from a rather serious shortage of server i/os which leads to many of their web sites being rather slow from the us of a and europe.

And No (Mr "I make some bucks on the side by mining virtual i/os" @WSS) virtual i/os are not helping at all as we would need 52-bit integers to deal with those. That's, in fact, one of the reasons for me to go so harshly against virtual i/o mining. At first sight, unless he happens to have an expensive and complicated bit analyzer, the unsuspecting customer will think everything is fine but as soon as someone tries to surf to his site over more than 3 or 4 hops the virtual i/os are worthless because they wear off too quickly (due to the missing 4 bits).

I don't think we're doing ourselves a service by avoiding or ignoring that ugly matter, @jarland. In the end it will be everyone having trouble.

I'd like to thank @tos who brought up this sensible issue in a responsible manner. It's ugly, yes, but sooner or later we will have to deal with that issue anyway, and better sooner than too late when all i/os are depleted.

• @zafouhar said:

I disagree, 821 is not the correct number. The correct number is 820. 821 can cause very critical issues including forcing the system into read-only mode or even as far as making the server explode.

I knew it! I knew that sooner or later someone would turn this into the old 820 or 821 flame war.

However: That is but the surface! The real problem is i/o depletion and the i/o black market fed by shady i/o miners creating a treacherous situation; thanks to all those flaky virtual i/os it seems there is no problem while, in fact, we are quite close to i/o depletion.

So, could we put the 820 vs 821 war aside for the moment, please.

• About 1000 for a static site, much less for a dynamic site.

• tos said: How much is suitable

• WSSWSS Member

There's nothing wrong with Virtual i/o. It's just misunderstood.