Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Save me some time doing market research... popular payment methods
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Save me some time doing market research... popular payment methods

I'm collating some info about hosting providers and one data point I'm interested in is available payment methods. I have these so far.

[0] => Paypal
        [1] => Skrill
        [2] => WebMoney
        [3] => Wire Transfer
        [4] => BitCoin
        [5] => Other Crytpocurrency

What are other popular payment methods, there's probably hundreds of tiny ones but perhaps if we could stick to an educated guess of ones that are available on 10% or more of hosting providers as a payment method?

Comments

• I'd say that depends on the country you're talking about.

bank transfer?
    credit card?

Here in Germany we have many hosters who provide
    payment via "PaySafeCard"

Mostly used by kids I'd say but hey.. It's anonymous.

• WHTWHT Member

EPS or Sofort is the most used method in Austria or Germany.

• @WHT said:

Forgot about Sofort but I havn't ever heard of EPS?

• I'm hearing less about Skrill every day, I don't think many hosting providers use it at all: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1629500

Stripe, on the other hand, is the one to watch for.

• WHTWHT Member

@Timtimo13 said:

@WHT said:

Forgot about Sofort but I havn't ever heard of EPS?

Austrian version of sofort ;)

• I’ve seen a few Canadian providers accept Interac, which is a Canada-only online payment option.

Thanked by 1gestiondbi
  • If targeting the dutch market, surely ideal

• Paypal is one of the popular payment gateways.

• WSSWSS Member

Invest in Vine.

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited October 2017

I prefer to pay people for their services by sending a 6.5ft tall, bald & brutal, russian weirdo with a bunch of firepower on his side. Works each and everytime. Never received any subsequent claims or complaints. Paypal works too, of course. But it's boring in comparison.

The same guy is sent to people who are too lazy to do their own market research and who just submit a quick post at LET. Prepare for a friendly knock on your door. It does not hurt for a long time, no worries!

• Amitz said: just submit a quick post at LET.

Sometimes you can get useful answers here.

Please close the thread.

• PayPal isn't available for Sri Lanka merchants. So most of them were using PayHere. And bitcoin is a popular among young generation too.

• @ricardo said:

Amitz said: just submit a quick post at LET.

Sometimes you can get useful answers here.

Please close the thread.

Oh come, on! ;) I was just having a bit fun with you. No need to feel sulky! :)

• WSSWSS Member

@Amitz said:
    Oh come, on! ;) I was just having a bit fun with you. No need to feel sulky! :)

Sorry, neither moderators, nor Germans are allowed to make jokes. It's genetically proven.

Thanked by 3Amitz mikho pike
  • That's true, obviously... :-(

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

PayPal and Credit Card mainly.

• Paypal of course. Otherwise I'd say Visa and Mastercard since everybody has those and all businesses take them. You can't really call yourself a business nowadays if you don't take those.

• @doghouch said:
    I’ve seen a few Canadian providers accept Interac, which is a Canada-only online payment option.

Usually the debit card your using also has Visa Debit so it could be used with Visa, so getting a payment gateway just to take Canadian debit cards sorta looks pointless.

Stripe is a good one for processing credit cards, with a lower chargeback fee than Paypal if your trying to avoid that.

• @Edmond said:
    Stripe is a good one for processing credit cards, with a lower chargeback fee than Paypal if your trying to avoid that.

People should just provide good enough services, it basically prevents chargebacks - oh and stay away from cheap people that think a $5/yr VPS should provide a 100% uptime SLA, fastest disks ever etc.

• @Edmond said:

@doghouch said:
    I’ve seen a few Canadian providers accept Interac, which is a Canada-only online payment option.

Usually the debit card your using also has Visa Debit so it could be used with Visa, so getting a payment gateway just to take Canadian debit cards sorta looks pointless.

You can’t really chargeback with Interac, as it’s more complicated. Plus, using Interac gives the customer’s address (and other details), which kind of defers people from reversing the charge.

• @doghouch said:

@Edmond said:

@doghouch said:

You can’t really chargeback with Interac, as it’s more complicated. Plus, using Interac gives the customer’s address (and other details), which kind of defers people from reversing the charge.

Is it really worth the trouble to get Interac working for only one country? But it's nice that you can't really reverse the transaction while using that, but customers might avoid it and use a different gateway.

• @Edmond said:

@doghouch said:

@Edmond said:

@doghouch said:

Is it really worth the trouble to get Interac working for only one country? But it's nice that you can't really reverse the transaction while using that, but customers might avoid it and use a different gateway.

The only thing that Interac is good for is lower transaction fees. I guess that if a company had a large enough presence in Canada, it’d be a viable option.

• @doghouch said:

@Edmond said:

@doghouch said:

@Edmond said:

@doghouch said:

The only thing that Interac is good for is lower transaction fees. I guess that if a company had a large enough presence in Canada, it’d be a viable option.

How much do they charge? I don't know how much, but I assume it would be something like a dime or so per transaction.

• WSSWSS Member

CASH! NO CREDIT!

Thanked by 1doghouch
  • @Edmond Direct debits using Interac are $0.06 CAD/transaction.

• @doghouch said:
    @Edmond Direct debits using Interac are $0.06 CAD/transaction.

That's cheap... might be worthwhile if it's targeted at Canadian customers.

@WSS said:

CASH! NO CREDIT!

You take debit?

• WSSWSS Member

@Edmond said:
    You take debit?

CASH ONLY! YOU PAY NOW!

Thanked by 1hostdare
  • skrill

Thanks. I think that qualifies as the only thing said that actually qualifies as >10% of hosting providers accepting payment :)

RE: other on-topic comments, thanks

RE: off-topic comments... c'mon. Sometimes people ask legit things, they don't want to sift through playground comments. Seems to be a necessity here, missed some formative years? :) Keep the thread open then, I'll do the groundwork but thought LET would offer some insight.

• qiwi or yandex wallet