Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dedicated Server at Hetzner - Hyper-V VM have no internet connection
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dedicated Server at Hetzner - Hyper-V VM have no internet connection

Hello,

a friend of mine got a Dedicated Server at Hetzner and did Setup a VM over Hyper-V.
A vSwitch got created but the VM can't connect to the Internet. Maybe anyone have a clue how we could manage that ?

Is it even possible to Setup multiple VMs at Hetzner using only one 1 IP-Adress ?

Thank you very much.

Comments

• You must have the MAC address put into the network card in Hyper-V.
    Best practice is to have one IP for the server then order one extra IP for Hyper-V (€ 0.84/mo)

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

^ Joys of Hetzner ;-).

• Thank you very much, so its needed that i order a extra ip ? Is it even possible to use RDP on those VMs maybe with a different port ?

• if you have assigned dedicated IP for the VMs, you can directly RDP into them anytime

• I used the MAC Adress from hetzner on the vswitch but still no internet Access. I guess i need a second dedicated ip with mac adress for my VM. But that means i need one ip for each of the VMs ?

• @JamesDD said:
    I used the MAC Adress from hetzner on the vswitch but still no internet Access. I guess i need a second dedicated ip with mac adress for my VM. But that means i need one ip for each of the VMs ?

Depends, on my TestLAB servers I just have one dedicated IP for Hyper-V, then setup a router (win2016) and use DHCP and NAT routing on that, so all other VMs I create share the same external IP. You can then use different ports to run the same kind of servers on the same IP.

• myhken, thanks for your information. I would like to know how can I setup a router (win2016) and forward public ports to internal VM hosted in hyper-v. would you be so kind to explain??? thanks
    Carles

• You could install a router OS inside a Hyper-V VM like pfSense or OpenWRT for quick and easy routing and NAT or you could try using RRAS for NAT though I gave up when I last tried it and just went with Linux as a host again. :)
    Good luck!

• you have to create an internal adapter in hyper v, then use internet sharing, then forward whatever port you need.