Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

iptables, on which interface to block bogons?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

iptables, on which interface to block bogons?

postcdpostcd Member
edited October 2017 in Help

Hello,

my aim is to block so called "bogons" (http://iplists.firehol.org/?ipset=fullbogons)
I will do it thru ipset (probably with hash:net parameter as the total number of IPs is few hundred million)
But i need to block it on proper interface, because my server host few virtual servers whose main net interface is venet0

My dedicated OpenVZ VPS host server has these interfaces:
em1, lo, venet0

I could block it on all interfaces like this:

iptables -I INPUT -m set --match-set badips src -j DROP

iptables -I FORWARD -m set --match-set badips src -j DROP

(badips is an ipset set name; btw my iptables is like this currently)

But i have doubts not to block 127.**** or 10.8.0.2 (vpn) kind of VPS traffic. On which interface/s i should block bogons on my dedicated host server please in my case?

Thank You

Comments

• cochoncochon Member
    edited October 2017

I would suggest using a separate ruleset chain and adding a whitelist set (type hash:net) as the first entry, you can add your local subnets and 127.0.0.0/8 to make sure they never get blocked.

iptables --new-chain ipsets
    iptables --append ipsets --match set --match-set whitelist src --jump RETURN
    iptables --append ipsets --match set --match-set dshield src --jump DROP
    iptables --append ipsets --match set --match-set bogons src --jump DROP
    iptables --append ipsets --match set --match-set torexit src --jump DROP
    iptables --append INPUT   --jump ipsets
    iptables --append FORWARD --jump ipsets

EDIT: you should probably create the INPUT/FORWARD rules just for the public facing interfaces, particularly if you have a lot of VPN, or egress traffic.

• create the INPUT/FORWARD rules just for the public facing interfaces

You mean for blacklist/DROP kind of rules by defining "-i em1" in the rules and it will prevent just remote incoming traffic and ignore outgoing bogon ip traffic? So i assume VPS venet0 outgoing traffic is using INPUT/FORWARD chain, if not there would not be reason for whitelisting 127.0.0.0/8.

• I would recommend just using CSF firewall and use the block list for bogons and enable ipset in the config