Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which Monitor to buy?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Which Monitor to buy?

Looking to buy either monitor for my gf (christmas gift). Which one would you deem superior? Any alternatives below 100€?
Is the price difference worth it? Can be a used/refurhished monitor as well :P Everything is better than her win98 monitor now xD

106€ - Philips 223V5LHSB2/00 21,5 cm (21,5 Zoll) Monitor (VGA, HDMI, 1920 x 1080) schwarz https://www.amazon.de/dp/B012CZ6GO4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_yo21zbYR8ENCP

60€ ish - LG 22EA63V-P 54,6 cm (21,5 Zoll) LED-Monitor (DVI-D, D-SUB, HDMI, Full HD, 5ms Reaktionszeit) https://www.amazon.de/dp/B00B4GNRQ8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_sq21zbJ4C27TM

Comments

• First one cause it has VGA.

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor
    edited October 2017

The main difference I can spot between the two is that the Philips is a TFT TN* LCD screen, while the LG is a IPS LCD screen. IPS screens are generally considered better and more expensive. With the LG, you'll probably have brighter and better colors and also better view angles.

I'd say go with the LG, it's the cheaper and better choice of the two. Even though it is refurbished/used it'll probably still be the better option. I purchase refurbished electronics quite often and as long as it is from a reputable seller, I've never run into any issues.

(*) thanks, @rm_

Thanked by 2Ympker sayem314
  • VitaVita Member
    edited October 2017

If a lack of VGA port doesn't bother you, you should definitely go for the LG, better panel and viewing angles. I personally think that viewing angle of 178/178 is a must in 2017.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @Dextronox said:
    First one cause it has VGA.

If you follow the link, the second one (the LG) also has VGA.

• @MasonR said:
    The main difference I can spot between the two is that the Philips is a TFT LCD screen, while the LG is a IPS LCD screen. IPS screens are generally considered better and more expensive. With the LG, you'll probably have brighter and better colors and also better view angles.

I'd say go with the LG, it's the cheaper and better choice of the two. Even though it is refurbished/used it'll probably still be the better option. I purchase refurbished electronics quite often and as long as it is from a reputable seller, I've never run into any issues.

Thanks for the Information mate :) Much appreciated! The seller is SIECOM https://www.amazon.de/sp?_encoding=UTF8&asin=B00B4GNRQ8&isAmazonFulfilled=0&isCBA=&marketplaceID=A1PA6795UKMFR9&orderID=&seller=A3E1NFNLNQ88DF&tab=home&vasStoreID= with 99% poaitive reviews on Amazon. Never heard of them though^^

Thanked by 1MasonR
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited October 2017

Whatever you do, don't buy TN. The Philips one is TN trash, whereas LG is IPS.

MasonR said: The main difference I can spot between the two is that the Philips is a TFT LCD screen, while the LG is a IPS LCD screen.

IPS is also a type of TFT. You meant to say TN, not TFT.

Thanked by 3Ympker MasonR sayem314
  • @MasonR said: The main difference I can spot between the two is that the Philips is a TFT LCD screen, while the LG is a IPS LCD screen.

Is this clear from the technical details given on the respective Amazon pages? (Perhaps I missed something.)

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Is this clear from the technical details given on the respective Amazon pages?

No, Amazon doesn't seem to show the LCD panel type, I had to search elsewhere.

• Is this one better than LG?
    https://www.senetic.de/product/LS22F350FHUXEN
    Only 3 in stock. Cheaper than Philips tho!

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

@sayem314 said:
    Is this one better than LG?
    https://www.senetic.de/product/LS22F350FHUXEN
    Only 3 in stock. Cheaper than Philips tho!

Another TN panel monitor. Probably not worth it and not better than the LG IPS monitor.

Thanked by 2rm_ sayem314
  • I'd say go with the LG instead of Phillips.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • I would definitely chose LG over Philips any day. Good luck with your monitor hunt.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • +1 for LG one.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

I prefer Samsung quality, as I personally had LG in past and it was shite (first was faulty and second the picture quality issue), likely for me returned back for refund.

• Thanks for all the feedback guys :P I guess I will wait for black friday deals till I make a decision but it will certainly have to be smth around that budget :P

• Depends what she intends to do with it; but I find that 16:10 is way better than 16:9 for general use (ie not watching movie). Harder to find but worth it. I have no model in your price range to recommend though.

The Dell U2410 was available at around 130 euros not long ago on some websites, it seems like it's not available anymore. Dunno if there is a cheap 16:10 IPS screen currently available at a fair price.

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited October 2017

@datanoise said:
    Depends what she intends to do with it; but I find that 16:10 is way better than 16:9 for general use (ie not watching movie). Harder to find but worth it. I have no model in your price range to recommend though.

The Dell U2410 was available at around 130 euros not long ago on some websites, it seems like it's not available anymore. Dunno if there is a cheap 16:10 IPS screen currently available at a fair price.

Would be for "gaming" & allround homeoffice usage (as her laptop is about to go to shieet any time). She gets my old rig with it (that I havent used for quite some years) which is well..old anyways. AMD FX 4100 and Radeon HD 6770, 8 GB RAM.

• Hey Ympker, that philips looks familiar! I have 2x Philips 240V5QDAB
    FHD 24inch, HDMI VGA DVI and it's IPS.
    It only costs a fraction more than the one mentioned.
    Tho compared to the LG deal, not sure if the price is correct since the URL doesn't work here. But do can say I'm happy about my Phillips ones. (I paid 98.35€ for each)

Thanked by 1Ympker