Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PPTP VPN error 809 on User End
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

PPTP VPN error 809 on User End

Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran

Hi,
I have 2 VPS's from URPAD on their $19/Year Promotion. I was using VPN (PPTP) on these two . I could not check it (VPN) for some days because of various festivals here at Bangladesh like EID-UL-FITR. After being free, today, when I tried to connect to my VPN it showed:

"The network connection between your computer and the VPN server could not be established because the remote server is not responding. This could be because one of the network devices (e.g, firewalls, NAT, routers, etc) between your computer and the remote server is not configured to allow VPN connections. Please contact your Administrator or your service provider to determine which device may be causing the problem."

It also showed that the Error Code is 809.

I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate 32 Bit here at my PC. I have installed VPN following this tutorial: http://www.maxwhale.com/pptp-vpn-on-centos-5-auto-installer/

I have installed it before and it worked without any issue. I opened a ticket with URPAD only to confirm me if everything is okay from VPS End. They told everything is okay form their End and asked me to check from my End. I asked my Friend to give me a chance to use his VPN and it got connected within some seconds. Now, If there was any problem in my Computer (e.g. Port 1723 TCP blocked or something) then why my friend's one connecting on it ?? Also, I gave my VPN credentials but my friend couldn't connect to it from his PC. It showed the same error on his PC also. Experimenting on this, I got that From SolusVM, PPP Toggling isn't working. Although I switch it on or switch it off, then for the following:

"cat /dev/ppp" > it shows > "cat: /dev/ppp: No such device or address"

Any help is highly appreciated :)

Comments

• RamiRami Member

try to reboot the server

Thanked by 1Mahfuz_SS_EHL
  • VPNshVPNsh Member, Host Rep

OpenVZ? Gre enabled?

Long shot but try restarting pptp.
    service pptpd force-restart

• Did the pptpd running?

OOT : Are you Muslim?

• smansman Member
    edited August 2013

If the vps is OpenVZ.

What happens when you run pppd from command line.

You should see a bunch of gibberish for about 30 seconds. If not then perhaps the node was rebooted and was not set up to reload the ppp modules?

If KVM VPS and not seeing gibberish then you need to load the modules yourself.

modprobe ppp_async modprobe ppp_deflate modprobe ppp_mppe

And set them to load on reboot.

If your VPS IP changed by some chance you need to change that in /etc/pptp.conf.

• Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran

@Rami Tried but didn't work.
    @liamwithers I will try your instructions.
    @ErawanArifNugroho I haven't checked and yes I'm Muslim.
    @sman Will be trying as you told and let you know here.

• Set ppp and pptpd config to debug, and do a client connect. Then immediately refer to /var/log/messages to find the messages from ppp. Then you are likely to find the problem.

• FritzFritz Veteran

Re-enable the Tun-tap. Works for me.

• Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran

@sman This is all I got from pppd:

"[root@leech ~]# pppd
    ~ }#!}!}!} }4}"}&} } } } }%}&}> —}'}"}(}"v }#!}!}!} }4}"}&} } } } }%}&}> —}'}"}(}"v }#!}!}!} }4}"}&} } } } }%}&}> —}'}"}(}"v }#!}!}!} }4}"}&} } } } }%}&}> —}'}"}(}"v }#!}!}!} }4}"}&} } } } }%}&}> —}'}"}(}"v }#!}!}!} }4}"}&} } } } }%}&}> —}'}"}(}"v }#!}!}!} }4}"}&} } } } }%}&}> —}'}"}(}"v }#!}!}!} }4}"}&} } } } }%}&}> —}'}"}(}"v }#!}!}!} }4}"}&} } } } }%}&}> —}'}"}(}"v~~ }#!}!}!} }4}"}&} } } } }%}&}> —}'}"}(}"v~[r"

• RamiRami Member

@Fritz said:
    Re-enable the Tun-tap. Works for me.

He is using pptpd server not OpenVPN this one use ppp module

@ehostlab ask the company to manually disable and enable PPP module I think this will solve the problem

• FritzFritz Veteran

@Rami , that was I meant. :)

• smansman Member

@ehostlab said:
    sman This is all I got from pppd:

"[root@leech ~]# pppd
    ~ }#!}!}!} }4}"}&} } } } }%}&}> —}'}"}(}"v }#!}!}!} }4}"}&} } } } }%}&}> —}'}"}(}"v }#!}!}!} }4}"}&} } } } }%}&}> —}'}"}(}"v }#!}!}!} }4}"}&} } } } }%}&}> —}'}"}(}"v }#!}!}!} }4}"}&} } } } }%}&}> —}'}"}(}"v }#!}!}!} }4}"}&} } } } }%}&}> —}'}"}(}"v }#!}!}!} }4}"}&} } } } }%}&}> —}'}"}(}"v }#!}!}!} }4}"}&} } } } }%}&}> —}'}"}(}"v }#!}!}!} }4}"}&} } } } }%}&}> —}'}"}(}"v~~ }#!}!}!} }4}"}&} } } } }%}&}> —}'}"}(}"v~[r"

That means ppp is working.