Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

what's the right VPS to use as a VPN server?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

what's the right VPS to use as a VPN server?

Hey
I play online games and I need a VPN to play smoothly without lagging or disconnecting.
the problem is a lot of major VPN services like tunnelBear, hotspot shield, etc.. got banned on my country so I want to go for private VPS server and setup a VPN server on it then connect to it from my PC to play games.
I googled a little bit and I found those offerers
-https://lowendbox.com/blog/new-provider-cyanode-exclusive-kvm-offer/
-https://www.a2hosting.com/vps-hosting/unmanaged/configure
I don't know if those are good to use as VPN server or not. I need your suggestion and recommendations.
I need a cheap one 5-6 dollars maximum, i don't need massive bandwidth 500G gigabytes will be good for me.
Thanks a lot for your time.

Comments

• WSSWSS Member

It'd help to know what country you reside in.

• What’s up, bitch.

Do you need your own IPv4 address? If not, then you can pick up plans for around $5-6/year without much difficulty. What sort of location would you like the VPS to be in?

• pikepike Veteran

Get something as close to your city as possible to reduce the ping.

I guess a 500GB Traffic KVM (even OpenVZ would do if the host can enable NAT for you) with 1 core and ~512MB RAM will never cost more than 5$.

• @WSS said:

@Nekki said:
    What’s up, bitch.

Do you need your own IPv4 address? If not, then you can pick up plans for around $5-6/year without much difficulty. What sort of location would you like the VPS to be in?

I'm from Egypt. I want the VPS to be in south of Europe or in Europe in general.
    "Do you need your own IPv4 address?" don't they provide a unique IP for every VPS ? can you provide some VPS hosting ?

@pike said:
    Get something as close to your city as possible to reduce the ping.

I guess a 500GB Traffic KVM (even OpenVZ would do if the host can enable NAT for you) with 1 core and ~512MB RAM will never cost more than 5$.

you provide some VPS hosting ?

• @LehKeda said:

@WSS said:

@Nekki said:
    What’s up, bitch.

I'm from Egypt. I want the VPS to be in south of Europe or in Europe in general.
    "Do you need your own IPv4 address?" don't they provide a unique IP for every VPS ? can you provide some VPS hosting ?

No, not every VPS comes with a unique IPv4 - as a relatively expensive resource, some providers now ofter very low-cost plans by giving users a shared IPv4 address and dedicated IPv6 addresses. If you have no need of a unique IPv4 address this is a very cost-effective way of running services with low resource requirements, such as VPN servers.

I don’t provide these services, but I recommend providers who do if you can make clear your requirements.

• dergelbedergelbe Member
    edited October 2017

No need for unique IP. Even dynamic IP can do. A have a Raspberry as VPN with plenty of different protocols.

I want the VPS to be in south of Europe or in Europe in general.

It's with EUR1/m not the cheapest, but ArubaCloud (Italy) works perfectly as VPN. Not Cheap, but 1Gb RAM, you can still add some websites (I used Centminmod and WP + VPN) - and you get a dedicated IP!

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited October 2017

Any VPS can be used as VPN. It's just a choice of location.

• Try Virmach as I am one of their customers and using VPN which is working fine without issues. I also referred one of my friends and he is happy so far.
    They have multiple locations in USA as well as one location in Europe (Frankfurt, Germany).

You don't need those expensive monthly plans that you have posted if you are only using for VPN. Simply buy yearly plan from Virmach which will cost you only $7.5/year (use code LEB30 for discount and first year will cost $5.25)

It comes with 1 dedicated IP as well as 128MB RAM, 10GB space, 256GB bandwidth @ 1Gbps.

Here's the link

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep
    Thanked by 1WSS
  • I'm Egyptian as well and I notice that our ISPes start to block VPN as I can't connect to any of my VPN servers, they started with PPTP and from 2 days now I can't connect to OpenVPN servers, SSH tunnel is working fine and I will try L2TP/IPSec and SSTP by tomorrow
    So getting a VPS is not the problem here but it is our gov and ISPes (specially the rash ISP that called TeData)
    For Egypt you have to use a VPS in EU for best latency (France, UK, Germany and Italy will be great)
    PM me if you need any help

• @Cam has some german ones. :)

Thanked by 1Cam
  • CamCam Member, Patron Provider

@sanvit said:
    @Cam has some german ones. :)

Thanks for the tag!

@LehKeda

Here are some offers for you to look at,

NAT-256
    256MB RAM
    5GB Disk Space
    250GB Bandwidth
    1 NAT IPv4 Address w/ 20 Ports
    /80 block IPv6 Address
    1Gbit Port - Germany
    ​$4/year - Order Now in Germany

NAT-512
    512MB RAM
    10GB Disk Space
    500GB Bandwidth
    1 NAT IPv4 Address w/ 20 Ports
    /80 block IPv6 Address
    1Gbit Port - Germany
    ​$8/year - Order Now in Germany

I could do NAT-256 with 500GB bw for $6/year if you would like.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

I have 4 locations ready and am willing to offer you all four -@ $10/year for you to test the grounds.

1 Intel vCPU
    128mb RAM
    3gb RAID Storage
    Unmetered^ Port (300gb/month at full speed)
    1 Shared IPv4 (20+1 ssh Ports)
    /112 IPv6 Block
    OpenVZ

Plenty of help on setting up a VPN server is found @ http://forum.lowendspirit.com

• WSSWSS Member

Dammmn that's cheap. That's almost better than Ant's offer for my birthday.

• pikepike Veteran

@LehKeda said:
    you provide some VPS hosting ?

Sorry I dont provide VPS hosting.