Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Lifetime" Hosting for $49.99 ??
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

"Lifetime" Hosting for $49.99 ??

Today I swipped left on my motog, and saw a publication about a company offering 83% OFF ($300 -> $50), made by Dragify

How much is a lifetime? 20 years? 30 years? 1 summer?

They seem to offer only 4GB of storage and 3 addon domains. How is this even profitable?

Comments

• hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider

vovler said: How much is a lifetime? 20 years? 30 years? 1 summer?

my bet is on 2 summer haha

• WSSWSS Member
    edited October 2017

$50 for 4GB of storage and 3 domains. Well, most people will realize that they can't do much with 4GB, and either upgrade, or leave it as a one-page wonder.

Here is where they're going to directly screw you:

Create as many 500MB email accounts, forwarders, & auto-responders required for your business or site.

I can't remember the last time I've been able to get my email down below 500MB, and I berate people for emailing me more than I do for asking dumb questions on LET. Obviously, if you don't understand computers and just use POP3, this shouldn't be a big issue.

Oh, sorry, you're over quota. Time to upgrade!

• @WSS said:
    Create as many 500MB email accounts, forwarders, & auto-responders required for your business or site.

It's probably up to 4GB

• lifetime as in the provider lifetime.

• WSSWSS Member

@vovler said:

@WSS said:

It's probably up to 4GB

That's not what it said.

• WAIT, they are already setting up their failure to run away with the money.
    https://dragify.com/lifetime-hosting/disclaimer.html

THE ECONOMY

The economy, both where you do business, and on a national and even worldwide scale, creates additional uncertainty and economic risk. An economic recession or depression might negatively affect the results produced by Dragify Hosting.

• WSSWSS Member

Dragify, more like Mayfly.

• JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited October 2017

@vovler

Don't buy it, as soon as you do, they send someone to cap yo ass. It's a very successful business model.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Lifetime of the company*.

Francisco

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited October 2017

For shared hosting you can probably get away with it is a marketing scheme, I have offered shared hosting for around 7 years now and the reality is a lot of people renew domains because they dont want to lose them but the site, if it is even maintained, is almost idle or sites have a lifespan of <5 years generally, certainly if they are growing sites then the limitation of shared hosting means you will be moving on anyway to a VPS/Dedi.

they are probably assuming a low long term use so the real figures are probably more like $10 p/year over 5 years paid up front.

I would be more than happy to sell 10 years for $49.99 on the same shared hosting package, I could make that easily sustainable.

If it is a new company though, I would avoid it. I also dont think anyone should sell a tangible resource on a 'lifetime' basis.

Thanked by 1WSS
  • Is it like how some of the big EIG-and-co-type hosting companies sell overpriced hosting and say "unlimited domains" as if it justifies the cost?

• WSSWSS Member

@paco said:
    Is it like how some of the big EIG-and-co-type hosting companies sell overpriced hosting and say "unlimited domains" as if it justifies the cost?

The way EIG does it is by not having a decent support structure, staff, or SLA. Sure, you can stick whatever the hell you want on it- but don't expect it to work.

• Some FAQ points on their site are so important that they are listed twice in a row (because why not?!):

• WSSWSS Member

I'm a bit surprised how many companies use SiteBuilder as a term, yet the domain is owned by Parallels. Countdown until they become a copyright troll?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

You only need one customer to ruin the whole thing.

Hell, I could pay $150/m less in bills if I dropped two customers that don't equal $40/year in revenue. Calculated risk offset by volume, if you're good.

• WSSWSS Member

@jarland said:
    Hell, I could pay $150/m less in bills if I dropped two customers that don't equal $40/year in revenue. Calculated risk offset by volume, if you're good.

Start charging them for bandwidth/sync overages- or whatever the hell they're doing. Just because you can make up for them doesn't mean they shouldn't be billed accordingly.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • @hostdare said:

vovler said: How much is a lifetime? 20 years? 30 years? 1 summer?

my bet is on 2 summer haha

All these "life time offers" are nothing but pump and dump schemes. I'm sure @WSS will make some remark about my comment ^_^

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@WSS said:

@jarland said:

Start charging them for bandwidth/sync overages- or whatever the hell they're doing. Just because you can make up for them doesn't mean they shouldn't be billed accordingly.

A risk that has paid off well though ;)

• I think there's a bit of the old gym membership model in this, too. I'm sure a bunch of folks will pay $49.95 and then forgot to redeem the offer within 30 days (see the fine print). Then a bunch more, who just bought it because "what-the-heck, right?" will let it sit there without every using it, or will put some crappy old domain on it and forget about it. So, most of the accounts sit idle, and many of the rest get up-sold, leaving you to deal somehow with the handful of people who take that "unlimited" description seriously. I assume there's fine print somewhere in there to cover that, too.

I mean, it's not as if no one on this forum can relate to buying a bunch of services and leaving them idle, right?

Thanked by 2WSS Ole_Juul