Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Plesk Pricing doubled!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Plesk Pricing doubled!

leapswitchleapswitch Patron Provider, Veteran

Just received an email from a Plesk reseller, Plesk has increased pricing across all editions, in some cases they have doubled it -

Examples -

Plesk Web Admin (VPS/Dedicated) - $5 became $10

Plesk Web Host (VPS) - $15 became $25

Any reason given by Plesk ? As per our reseller, they suddenly increased effective immediately from 1st October.

Comments

• Oops!

• ExpertVMExpertVM Member, Host Rep

I guess when their cost increased and no major sales in. the only way is to increase all current customer price to gain more profit.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@ExpertVM said:
    I guess when their cost increased and no major sales in. the only way is to increase all current customer price to gain more profit.

Doubt it.

Plesk generated a total revenue of USD28.0 million and earnings before income, tax, amortisation and deprecation of USD14.0 million for 2016.

• leapswitchleapswitch Patron Provider, Veteran

They have made an FAQ for the price increase - Because it’s been 18 years since we launched Plesk, and we’ve never once raised our prices. In this time, we’ve invested significantly and progressed remarkably.

Adjusting our prices will ensure that we can continue to invest heavily in product development, so that we can continue to help you meet your current and future needs.

• Yeah I remember the price of rice 18 years ago. Now it is doubled, for some brand, it is tripled.

@yokowasis said:
    Yeah I remember the price of rice 18 years ago. Now it is doubled, for some brand, it is tripled.

Rice is a tangible product. Same cannot be said about software. CPanel has more or less kept the same price. Plesk while launching v12 changed pricing with 4 editions. Then they reduced to 3 editions and now doubled the price. Hostbill seems to be more stable in pricing than Plesk now.

Don't even get me started on the naming changes

• leapswitch said: Hostbill seems to be more stable in pricing than Plesk now.

Are you mad bro? Hostbill changed price multiple times in the same year. They removed community forum to avoid shit storm, made development illegal without $999 USD addon. Have you recently looked at their product? Take a read: https://www.hostbillforums.com/index.php/topic,1555.0.html (last post). Thy didn't change a bit, believe me.

With recent updates Plesk became a solid option in compare to cPanel or any other control panel out there. Even DirectAdmin which is my favorite CP is loosing in this battle.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited October 2017

I think I heard similar logic from whmcs around their price increase a while ago, nothing has changed though.

Solusvm v2 pricing will probably go up too when it launches in 2018

• Was using Plesk to host few of my smaller websites on VPS's. No more. :\ Since I don't earn a dime from those websites, spending more and more isn't justified at all.

Thanked by 2BlaZe Amitz
  • BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

@sdglhm said:
    Was using Plesk to host few of my smaller websites on VPS's. No more. :\ Since I don't earn a dime from those websites, spending more and more isn't justified at all.

And thats when Webuzo comes into picture. $2.5/mo is pretty sexy!

• Only for my windows customer I use plesk.. nothing much better developed by them , I really don't like it :(

• @AnthonySmith said:
    I think I heard similar logic from whmcs around their price increase a while ago, nothing has changed though.

Someone's optimistic.

telephone said: Someone's optimistic.

haha its almost a meme now.

Thanked by 1Zerpy
  • AmitzAmitz Member
    edited October 2017

Ouch. That hurts. I use Plesk for private stuff and the price was just right so that I could justify it for myself. I don't think that I would pay more for it and will probably move everything back to Virtualmin. What a pity. I am not saying that Plesk isn't worth the price. It's a great product. The new price step just let's it seem less attractive for pure private use with more than 10 domains.

Edit: I just saw that I have prepaid for a year with 10 months left. That will give me some time to think about it...

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@AnthonySmith said:

telephone said: Someone's optimistic.

haha its almost a meme now.

Almost? It's the only reason the provider section exists.

Francisco

Thanked by 1AnthonySmith
  • randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

Oh boo hoo. Yeah yeah it's annoying that prices rise, but it happens everywhere.

Consider our situation in Hong Kong. Since we started in 2003, property prices in HK have more than tippled. Taxis, public transport, energy, and just about everything has risen.

It's hard, if not impossible, for most businesses to absorb these costs on their own, and so the price must go up. Perhaps it's better to make smaller and more frequent price increases and not 'shock' people with sudden hikes. But generally speaking, people should expect prices to rise.

Hopefully, all these price increases will spur on new development and innovations that increases productivity for all. Or at the very least, give an advantage to places with lower costs (India? Eastern Europe?).

Adapt or die.

Francisco said: Almost? It's the only reason the provider section exists.

Me when it is finally released:

Thanked by 2Ympker WebProject
  • AmitzAmitz Member
    edited October 2017

Another SolusVM thread? Can't we keep the science fiction it in one of the other threads?

Thanked by 1AnthonySmith
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited October 2017

I'll probably drop my license then. It's really cool to toy with and fun to have, but there is a point where you no longer blend in with "went to gas station to buy a mountain dew and a candy bar" and that's generally the point where I reconsider you in my budget.

Thanked by 2Amitz Waldo19
  • @AnthonySmith said:

SolusVM2 launches 2018? When?

• Ympker said: SolusVM2 launches 2018? When?

Soon™

• @AnthonySmith said:

18? i thought it will be launched in 2020

• Boring.

• ChristianDSHChristianDSH Member, Host Rep

Hmm ... i asked my plesk key contact and they know nothing about price changes in november.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

It broke out in the last 24h so it may as well have not filtered through just yet.

• edited October 2017

I see OVH is still selling it for a very good price and their pricing has not changed.

This is a bad idea and greedy imo One of the main reasons people choose Plesk over cPanel was the lower cost, now I can't really see a reason to use Plesk other than personal preference, the savings are just not worth it.

• ChristianDSHChristianDSH Member, Host Rep

@Clouvider said:
    It broke out in the last 24h so it may as well have not filtered through just yet.

Seems like it, shouldn't have chosen to wear my "WTF !" shirt today, at least it's fitting now.

• @AnthonySmith said:

Bummer that they missed last year and Q3 2017. Again.

• v3ngv3ng Member, Patron Provider

Hopefully the open source alternatives are getting now more attention.