Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LowEndGaming - Anyone interested?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LowEndGaming - Anyone interested?

trexostrexos Member
edited August 2013 in General

Hi folks,

these days there are awesome VPS/dedicated server offers with a lot power around and I read several times something like "what the heck should I do with my VPS?" and a few people said CSS server for LE*. I just ask myself if there is any interest of having a few gameservers for LE*. Myself could manage a CSS server and I think I would have some idling VPS to realise that. Also the owner will gain some experience with managing gameservers.
Maybe someone else could make a TF2, Killing Floor, Minecraft what ever server and we all could make a list (thread or page) of these LowEndServers.

What do you think of the idea?
Suggestions are welcome :)

Thanked by 1mpkossen

Comments

• wroxwrox Member
    edited August 2013

I support this idea.

Up for helping out, too!

• @wrox Glad to hear that :) In which game are you interested?

• An interesting idea. Keep us updated! Personally, I only am interested in Minecraft. )

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Yeah do it, i could give you some resources :D

• trexostrexos Member
    edited August 2013

@Master_Bo I think Minecraft is popular. But we need somebody how has time to mange the server. I can't help that much, it's a long time ago I had a server.

@Infinity580 Thanks for the offer :) I saw you have experience with TF2 servers?

@trexos Yeah and also with Linux servers since some years.

• @trexos, I understand. I can't lend a hand in this, but if you find someone who can, it would be great.

• @Infinity580 Sounds nice, because I'm quite (only a few months). Would your offer include managing the server? :D

• IvanIvan Member

That'd be nice. I could help set up Minecraft, install plugins, etc. Though I have zero Minecraft "gaming" knowledge. So I don't know what are the best plugins, etc.

@trexos i would.

• ztecztec Member

I got a iniz ssd server just for gameservers. Just tell me what to host and I'll brand it as requested and will post the IP. Currently hosting 6 l4d2 servers on it.

• I have years of experience with all kinds of gameservers, HMU if you need help

• trexostrexos Member
    edited August 2013

@ztec So you could provide resources for gameserver. What's aboug managing?

@joodle Is there a game you prefer in administration?

Maybe someone could sponsor a domain (e.g. LowEndGaming.net is available) so we could make domains like css.LowEndGaming.net, mc.LowEndGaming.net, l4d.LowEndGaming.net ...

• I've got an l4d server is anyone's interested. l4d.exussum.co.uk

• ztecztec Member

@trexos said:
    ztec So you could provide resources for gameserver. What's aboug managing?

joodle Is there a game you prefer in administration?

Maybe someone could sponsor a domain (e.g. LowEndGaming.net is available) so we could make domains like css.LowEndGaming.net, mc.LowEndGaming.net, l4d.LowEndGaming.net ...

Managing would be fine as long as it's a good game.

• @ztec said:
    Managing would be fine as long as it's a good game.

Which game would you prefer? L4D?

• @trexos said:
    joodle Is there a game you prefer in administration?

Call of Duty 4 is a game which i host the most

• trexostrexos Member
    edited August 2013

@joodle
    If there is enough demand it would be nice to see a LowEndGaming Server :)

• IvanIvan Member
    edited August 2013

Hey hey.. anyone still need a hand on Minecraft? Could help getting it up and installing plugins on Bukkit.. though I would need someone who knows what the good plugins are since my in-game knowledge is bad :P Unless maybe you guys would just want a vanilla/raw Minecraft survival server with no plugins and all the fancy stuff that hogs resources :P

• trexostrexos Member
    edited August 2013

@Ivan said:
    Hey hey.. anyone still need a hand on Minecraft? Could help getting it up and installing plugins on Bukkit.. though I would need someone who knows what the good plugins are since my in-game knowledge is bad :P

Sorry, I misunderstood you. So you know how to manage a Bukkit server, but not which plugins are important?

Vanilla is nice too, but then we might have unfair players who destroy buildings etc.

We should point out that just installing is not enough. It's important to update the server a few times.

• IvanIvan Member

@trexos said:
    We should point out that just installing is not enough. It's important to update the server a few times.

Yes yes, updating would be easy, just replace the .jar file :)
    I know how to manage one, update plugins, install them, etc. They're even easier with a control panel, really. I just don't have good in game knowledge, so I'm not a great builder, I'm not good when it comes to choosing which plugins are useful, etc.

• @Ivan
    Ok thanks for your offer :) I think we just have to ask the minecraft players here what they want to see. So that's not a big deal.

• I can help with a minecraft server. I run a modded vanilla 1.5.2 (because of mods) forge for us, doing all kinds of magical stuff - ars magica, thaumcraft, mystcraft and quite a few others.

• @MrObious do yo have experience with bukkit? That might be a better system.

• Haven't used bukkit in quite some time as most of the mods we run have migrated from bukkit to forge, but if you're going to go that route, might as well run spigot for the performance.

Bukkit servers are easy to work with though.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

I host several Teeworlds servers, and have used AssaultCube servers too. Maybe you can test them :)

• trexostrexos Member
    edited August 2013

@MrObvious ok. Maybe you could manage the minecraft server togehter with @Ivan.

@netomx Thanks for the offer :) Managing, hosting or both? :)

Guys, what do you say about a survey which game is most popular?

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@trexos hosting Teeworlds. AssaultCube hosted*.

• VladorzVladorz Member
    edited August 2013

If you guys plan to make a CS:GO server, I can help

• @netomx ok. thanks in advance! :)

@Vladorz Thanks for the offer :) I'll contact you.