Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Colo request
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Colo request

Hello,

I wanted to colocate a blade box of 10u, can people quote me prices please and what connectivity you'll offer with it please?

I prefer the UK but even somewhere in Western Europe is fine too (remote hands maybe needed when it's this far as I'll ship the bad boy out).

If you require more info, I'm free to share.

PH

P.S This is lowendtalk so don't quote me in the millions :D thank you

Comments

• Ian_Dot_TechIan_Dot_Tech Member, Patron Provider

I advise stating the power consumption you will need, IP's and any other special requests you have. This will help providers get a quote to you.

• PirateHitmanPirateHitman Member
    edited October 2017

@Ian_Dot_Tech said:
    I advise stating the power consumption you will need, IP's and any other special requests you have. This will help providers get a quote to you.

Power requirement I'm completely unsure of... first time colo-ing. It's a HP C7000 enclosure which is fully loaded which I got as a gift for long service at my firm.

I don't particularly need a massive IP range, 8 It's? And the ability to use another 2-3U's for a UPS once I figure out how much power it kills.

Rough estimate I got from is around 2480 watts: https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?t=1203861

• joerijoeri Member, Host Rep, LIR

@PirateHitman said:

@Ian_Dot_Tech said:

Power requirement I'm completely unsure of... first time colo-ing. It's a HP C7000 enclosure which is fully loaded which I got as a gift for long service at my firm.

I don't particularly need a massive IP range, 8 It's? And the ability to use another 2-3U's for a UPS once I figure out how much power it kills.

Rough estimate I got from is around 2480 watts: https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?t=1203861

That is around 10-11 amp's, the cost of the power only will be around €400-500 each month

• joerijoeri Member, Host Rep, LIR
    edited October 2017

I can offer you

22U - 10A power included - 2x1Gbps or 2x10Gbps - 50TB Traffic - /27 IPv4 - /56 IPv6 For €650 each month

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Wow, that’s a 10 year old kit +, it won’t make sense to Colo that I believe.

@joeri estimation is good but I feel it’s on the lower end, I’ve seen those drawing closer to 16A under load.

You’re looking at in excess of £800 for London in a lockable cab assuming 12A.

If you’re still interested please give me a shout and I’ll be happy to Quote in detail.

D

Thanked by 1Falco33
  • JSCLJSCL Member, Host Rep

They're certainly power hungry.

Would the Isle of Man be of a interest? We provide Unlimited Remote Hands too, so no need to worry once your hardware arrives.

• MSPNickMSPNick Member
    edited October 2017

Colo alone would be £200, power would be £400, would be looking at around £750-800 + vat per month all in once you've added the bandwidth to the box..

get rid of this box and invest the money into something else.

P.S This is lowendtalk so don't quote me in the millions :D thank you

we're going to have to.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

Actually, it depends on the specs on the blades. If they are filled with dual l5630, would be different than dual x5670. However in both cases, the blades are very power hungry and don't justify the 6U savings, you would accomplish if you decide do go with them, over single units. Dual Hex, filled with RAM consume a ton of power. These can go up to 4-5kw when booting up. Thus - extremely cheap atm.

We have rather cheap power in Bulgaria, compared to EU. Let me know if it interests you and I will quote you accordingly. Though, that's East EU, not west.

• I see, after getting several quotes / estimates I have worked out that this venture will not be money efficient at all for how old the system is, how powerful it is and what I want to utilise it for.

Request closed, thank you all and everyone for chipping in, appreciate it.

• cociucociu Member
    edited October 2017

@PirateHitman let me give you my quote :

1kw will be 0.9 cents ... so make your quote.

The space for 10 u will be 50 eur/mo

1gbps dedicated line will be 300 eur/mo

1 ipv4 1eur/mo.

Future details in PM please . I can offer you 4 different networks.

Also we are located Romania in East not west ... so if this is not a problem ...

• Are you a pirate, a hitman, or both?

If both, could you explain how it works, because it doesn’t seem like the roles are compatible on the face of it.

• @Nekki said:
    Are you a pirate, a hitman, or both?

If both, could you explain how it works, because it doesn’t seem like the roles are compatible on the face of it.

Both as the name suggests, on the face of it you would think so.. But then who are the MPAA?

P.S JK, not affiliated with MPAA at all, hell no.

Just a moniker I've had since I was a mod on Supreme Speeds (Private Tracker) and it has since stuck.

• WSSWSS Member
    edited October 2017

@Nekki said:
    Are you a pirate, a hitman, or both?

He's actually a Ninja Pirate Hitman. The other two are just covers.

Thanked by 2joeri Nekki
  • IonSwitch_StanIonSwitch_Stan Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2017

I have some C7000's with 16xE5 hosts and switches. They pull 3800 watts under 50% load. The chassis boots up to about 2400 watts idle. (120 watts per blade), fans, management, etc.

• sureiamsureiam Member
    edited October 2017

To be honest if your unsure about it's power usage or cost of hosting this probably isn't a great idea for you. You should start by co-locating 1-2u and managing that. once those are tapped out you can consider this route. however I have a feeling this will go into a datacenter and then you'll just pause and wonder wtf you're going to do with all of this.. Additionally it's an old rig, you'll quickly outspend it's performance gained in monthly fees.

For example you could build 2x-1u 32core64 thread AMD Eypc servers and they would get pretty close to matching the performance if not passing the performance of this rig.

Heck you could build 2x-2u 32core64thead dual socket AMD Eypc servers giving you 64cores128threads per server or 128core 256threads total that would wipe the floor with this HPE rig. The initial cost would be rough but you would eave tons of money from the power and rack space requirements your current rig would require.

Sadly there is a reason ebay is flooded with cheap server components. $4,000 CPUs for $15... Your seeing why in this thread. Rack space and power comes at a premium. Initial investment in the hardware is just the first step.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited October 2017

@Cociu gave you a great offer. 1kW of power for the price of 1kWh. I’d take it before he withdrawns, it’s a steal.

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • Clouvider said: @Cociu gave you a great offer. 1kW of power for the price of 1kWh. I’d take it before he withdrawns, it’s a steal.

i am in a defavorable zone declared by my gouvern so ...i benefit of this price ...

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • WilliamWilliam Member
    edited October 2017

Clouvider said: Wow, that’s a 10 year old kit

The C7000 is generation independent and fits 1366 (G6/G7) and E5 (Gen8/Gen9) BL460c.

You can still buy it new, with new PSUs, and as it does not do much itself aside of the backplane (which is often just passthrough anyway) the power usage and efficiency largely depends on the blades/blade generation used.

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog