Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VOIP setups/providers?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VOIP setups/providers?

krs360krs360 Member
edited August 2013 in General

Hello,

Just been messing around with VoIP stuff today (one geographical number which rings both my mobile and land line).

Thinking it might be a viable replacement for my expensive mobile contract/add to my home phone plan which is nearing the end of it's contract. I may look into dropping back to a sim-only plan with a decent sms/data allowance

I was wondering which providers people have gone with and what the different packages are like? Is there anyone that does unlimited landline and mobiles in the UK?

Comments

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

Is there anyone that does unlimited landline and mobiles in the UK?

used to be OVH, for £10 unlimited mobiles phone calls + £0.99 for UK number and unlimited phone calls to 40 destinations in EU. (limitation was 99 different numbers + 60 minutes calls)

sipgate.co.uk - 1,000 Minutes per month to UK landlines for the super low price of £5.90

• @webproject

I'm with sipgate for the free service atm.

Seems OVH don't take new VOIP customers, shame really! If I could find a deal along those lines that would be excellent.

• dnwkdnwk Member

@WebProject said:
    sipgate.co.uk - 1,000 Minutes per month to UK landlines for the super low price of £5.90

And US customers cannot sign up its VOIP service

And US customers cannot sign up its VOIP service

try sipgate.com for USA, as sipgate.co.uk is designed for UK

• sipgate.com,
    Unfortunately, due to issues outside of our control we are not able to offer our services to new customers anymore.

• why not just buy yourself a LEB w/ asterisk, DID, and Trunk. Cost would be ~5$ LEB, $1.25/DID, and like .0085/min(alot of trunks offer free inbound).

• I have a leb using asterisk and freepbx. I got my DID from callcentric and use their per minute plan.

It's simple and cheap

• DeanDean Member

I use a LEB with Soho66.co.uk for the trunk :)

• dnwkdnwk Member

@DrJinglesMD said:
    I have a leb using asterisk and freepbx. I got my DID from callcentric and use their per minute plan.

It's simple and cheap

Setup Callcentric with Freepbx is a pain in the neck.

• Try freevoipdeal.com - buy 10 euro credit and get free landline calls, and cheap mobile calls.

• Hmm what about your standard betamax provider like http://www.voipcheap.com/

• @dnwk said:
    Setup Callcentric with Freepbx is a pain in the neck.

Took me about an hour to install it. I didn't even use the FreePBX Distro. It really isn't as hard as it's made out to be.

• dnwkdnwk Member

@DrJinglesMD said:
    Took me about an hour to install it. I didn't even use the FreePBX Distro. It really isn't as hard as it's made out to be.

If you simply want to make incoming/outgoing call, it is easy. But if you consider DID routing and .... with security in mind, it hard

betamax is not the cheapest provider. try the geils.com, the do unlimited plan

• CraigACraigA Member
    edited August 2013

I've been using voip for years in many different setups. For a long time I was using Asterisk + FreePBX on a debian box that I hosted myself. I have since migrated to using the built in Cisco CME directly on my router.

I get all my DID's from voip.ms

I've used them for years and their pricing is really really good. Check them out.

Edit:
    I pay $0.99/month for most of my DID's and do a per minute at $0.005/min (yeah, half a cent)

For my main "landline" I do the $4.95/month unlimited incoming and only pay per minute to terminate outgoing SIP calls.

• Do you know options to South America?

What is the minimum speed of the internet connection to use this kind of service (VOIP) with a good sound (low delay)?

I have used VoipBusterPro and Skype.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

We use Ringcentral and it's really mediocre. We're looking at other solutions right now.

• @crizzle said:
    I've been using voip for years in many different setups. For a long time I was using Asterisk + FreePBX on a debian box that I hosted myself. I have since migrated to using the built in Cisco CME directly on my router.

I get all my DID's from voip.ms

I've used them for years and their pricing is really really good. Check them out.

Edit:
    I pay $0.99/month for most of my DID's and do a per minute at $0.005/min (yeah, half a cent)

For my main "landline" I do the $4.95/month unlimited incoming and only pay per minute to terminate outgoing SIP calls.

I could see options to Brazil:

http://voip.ms/intldids.php?CountryID=30&countryselected=BRAZIL

Cost: $8 / month

What do I need to do to make it receive phone calls?
    Install a software (.exe) like Skype?
    Or do I need a new hardware?

Tks!

• dnwkdnwk Member

@jbiloh said:
    We use Ringcentral and it's really mediocre. We're looking at other solutions right now.

How bad is it?

• dnwkdnwk Member

You can use the service directly from FreePBX. They are not cheap. I just assume it sponsor the developer

• My > @DragonDF said:

Do you know options to South America?

What is the minimum speed of the internet connection to use this kind of service (VOIP) with a good sound (low delay)?

I have used VoipBusterPro and Skype.

Depends on the codec you want to use. If you want the best voice quality and use G.711 then you need minimum 100 Kbps up and down. If you use G729/skype you can halve that, as I used skype once via modem connection and the sound was fine! However, this type of codec is much more compressed so much more vunerable to packet loss. G711 is pretty robust and if you get packet loss/delay, it copes that best as not much compression in it.

Delay and latency don't matter much unless you are using something like satellite for internet connection. I have my voip server in West Coast USA, my voip providers and I are in the EU. Ping is 170ms and sometimes more , but voice quality is fine with no delay. As long as ping is less than 300-400ms (one way =150-200ms) to your server/provider you should not have any problems.

Thanked by 1DragonDF
  • @asterisk14 said:
    Delay and latency don't matter much unless you are using something like satellite for internet connection. I have my voip server in West Coast USA, my voip providers and I are in the EU. Ping is 170ms and sometimes more , but voice quality is fine with no delay. As long as ping is less than 300-400ms (one way =150-200ms) to your server/provider you should not have any problems.

My doubt is about the VOIP SERVER X VOIP PROVIDERS.

What is the reason of the 'voip server' in this history?

Is 'Voip server' in this case to resell a voip service or for your own use?

How can I install this as a service for a client of mine?
    For example:
    1. Buy a phone number (did)
    2. Install the software (service)
    3. Know how much time he used and send him a bill.

Tks!

• asterisk14asterisk14 Member
    edited August 2013

voip server is your pbx (if you want to use one) such as asterisk

voip provider is the provider of the outgoing or incoming voip service

If you want billing for commerical use, there are software you can buy (call box) - have a look at sysadminman.net

Thanked by 2DragonDF vpsguy
  • @asterisk14 said:
    voip server is your pbx (if you want to use one) such as asterisk

Is it possible to use the same 'pbx' with computers in different locations? For example: 4 computers located in 4 different states of a country, receiving and making calls?
    Is it necessary to install one software in each computer or it is used in a different way we can use Skype?

voip provider is the provider of the outgoing or incoming voip service

I understand now. Something like Skype, etc.

Do you know the best options I can use in Brazil?

If you want billing for commerical use, there are software you can buy (call box) - have a look at sysadminman.net

I think it is better to understand how everything works, first.
    The "negative side" I see is: your client needs internet connection. It is different when he uses a common line.

Can you suggest a few HARDWARES to use with asterisk?

Thank you!

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

@asterisk14 said:

why not a2billing?

• @prometeus said:
    why not a2billing?

I mentioned it for ease of set up for the OP. From the questions he is asking, I don't think he fully understands what he needs, much less how he would set it up. There is software that is referred to as 'call box' (asterisk + multiple lines + billing) that sets up the whole system including billing in one step so that is why I mentioned it.

• @jbiloh said:

Mediocre, their software isn't compatible with Linux/freeBSD/Solaris (the 3 OS's my company uses...we don't do Windows/Mac), and they're expensive compared to other solutions. We used them for a few years and switched to a combination of Voip.ms (and MetroFax for faxes).

For my personal phone line I use Callcentric (switched to it after using the overpriced Lingo for a few years)

• We use gradwell, very professional http://www.gradwell.com

• @PureServe_Louis said:
    We use gradwell, very professional http://www.gradwell.com

I think it is not to Brazil.

Take your mind off of the cost of calls with our inclusive minute bolt-ons:

4000 UK landline minutes: £20.00 per month
    UK landline minutes bundles include 0870, peak, off peak and weekend landline calls (01, 02, 03).
    0845, 0844 and 0871 numbers are not included and are charged at standard rates.
    4000 UK and International landline minutes: £25.00 per month
    500 UK mobile minutes: £30.00 per month