Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

pi-hole
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

pi-hole

does anyone run pihole on a vps?
i am running it on my rpi at home, but it not running stable from sdcard to run 24/7

Comments

• Plenty of folks do. There's a search function to your upper right. If it's broken, like usual, search for it on google using "site:lowendtalk.com Pi-Hole"

• I run it on my cluster at home. Installs easy.

As all the documentation mentions, be aware of the risks you pose when running this on a VPS. If possible, tunnel through a VPN, or add specific firewall rules so only you can use it to query.

Thanked by 1WSS
  • Yes, I do after I broke my raspberry pi for the 100th time.

I just use ufw firewall to lock it down to my home & office IP address.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I run on it on a DO VM with no issues. You do want to firewall off the rest of the Internet so you're not an open resolver (which can be used for DDOS attacks).

I use a dyndns provider to give me a DNS record that resolves my home, and then I have a script that grabs that IP and updates the firewall rules. Note that I'm only using it for home - if you also want your phone to use it, you'll probably need to setup a VPN.

Thanked by 1karjaj
  • I started a thread about this recently: https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/118921/pi-hole-yay-or-nay

I really like it. I'm running it in a Debian VM off a FreeBSD server in my home. Runs really well.

• if you also want your phone to use it, you'll probably need to setup a VPN.

If you want to do that, look into Ki4a. It's the Android "equivalent" of sshuttle.

• i have 4 installed in small vps, not tryed on rpi.

but which rpi do you have? 1, 2 3?

• edited September 2017

I've got it running stable on an Orange Pi Zero. No reasons why it wouldn't run on a VPS

• I run it on a rpi 512mb, runs fine for a month Ir so, now the sd card starts failing

• Using it on a VPS currently and limiting the SSH and DNS queries to my IP only with the help of UFW. Also running the other VPS that I have through the PiHole for enhanced security.