Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If i bought ovh gameserver, but down my server from ddos
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

If i bought ovh gameserver, but down my server from ddos

If i bought ovh gameserver,
i attacked big ddos and my server repeat disconnect from user

i what to do? Should I find more expensive hosting?
(because i know ovh not support 'software' part.)

Comments

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited September 2017

If it's a problem with the game server software causing disconnects nothing. If not, enable permanent mitigation, use network firewall to block non essential protocols and ports, and run a tcpdump when it happens to inspect traffic.

Thanked by 1MaikoB
  • Did you actually set the correct DDoS firewall preset? You have presets per game/application.

• @uni13 said:

you what? you were doing ddos attack using your server? lol

Thanked by 1victorchacon88
  • @didtav said:

@uni13 said:

you what? you were doing ddos attack using your server? lol

Banhammer incoming.. @OP bought a stresser and attacked his host.

• Let's not be too much in a rush here. Clearly OP has a language barrier so misunderstandings can happen.

• @Ympker said:
    Let's not be too much in a rush here. Clearly OP has a language barrier so misunderstandings can happen.

Could you please translate his post to proper English? I can't understand if he is talking hypothetically or if he is talking about an event that happened in the past.

• edited September 2017

A gaming server getting DDoS'ed. Your kidding! :p

Can anyone explain to me why the script kiddies like to DDoS gaming servers? Is it that cheap and easy to do? Are they doing it for competitive reasons or just being little shits for giggles or ?

• ChristianDSHChristianDSH Member, Host Rep

LosPollosHermanos said: Can anyone explain to me why the script kiddies like to DDoS gaming servers

Kiddy plays on a server -> get's banned for abusing something -> ragemode -> ddos gameserver.

• I am the owner of a reasonably sized CSGO gaming community, over 750,000 players to date and running 27 game servers across the world ... and we have never been hit by a big DDOS attack.

Maybe i am lucky but, what do you guys do to warrant a big DDOS attack on your servers.

p.s we run our own dedicated servers and rent from reputable game server hosts.

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited September 2017

@unknownbullet said:
    I am the owner of a reasonably sized CSGO gaming community, over 750,000 players to date and running 27 game servers across the world ... and we have never been hit by a big DDOS attack.

Maybe i am lucky but, what do you guys do to warrant a big DDOS attack on your servers.

p.s we run our own dedicated servers and rent from reputable game server hosts.

Our community has 352k unique players over 7 years (L4D2) and at 2010 to 2013 were by far our worst years with attacks as large as 50 Gbps hammering our servers up to 14 hours a day. By todays standards thats nothing much, but back then we got kicked from many anti-ddos providers like Sharktech and Intreppid for getting too much attacks. We finally settled with OVH and had been with them ever since.

To this very day we dont even know who we pissed of so badly that he would haunt us 3 years straight with his personal botnet, so the fact you never got a big attack is amazing and something you should be glad of.

Hell, we even left from SeFlow with disagreements when MatteoB still priced extra for Anti-DDoS overusage.

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • @stefeman said:
    Hell, we even left from SeFlow with disagreements when MatteoB still priced extra for Anti-DDoS overusage.

What you mean?

• jh_aurologicjh_aurologic Member, Patron Provider

Most ddos attacks are not that big, most of our incoming ddos attacks do not even reach 2Gbit or 1mpps, they are complex and you need a intelligent logic to filter them out. Like UDP Floods with valid gameserver traffic or Layer7 attacks which simulate a real clients behaviour - thats what I call complex.

This might be your real problem and is something which a service provider with hundred thousands of servers cant cover really well as it needs huge fine tuning and adjustments from time to time. Thats the reason why there are specialized service providers with specialized equipment which is able to deal with these attack types.

• stefeman said: we dont even know who we pissed of so badly that he would haunt us 3 years straight with his personal botnet

The first attack might have been personal, though the follow up attacks were probably just him testing out his configs on you.

• @matteob said:

@stefeman said:

What you mean?

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1330164

Thats not me though. But yeah its our community.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited September 2017

@Kabeldamagement said:
    This might be your real problem and is something which a service provider with hundred thousands of servers cant cover really well as it needs huge fine tuning and adjustments from time to time. Thats the reason why there are specialized service providers with specialized equipment which is able to deal with these attack types.

OVH has specific profiles for UDP based game servers, but like you said it needs to be updated probably. The problem is people generally aren't willing to troubleshoot it with their support to actually get fixes pushed. In my situation it's a problem because I'm not the one controlling the actual game servers, and clients typically don't want to spend a little while helping to fix. OVH should fix it themselves, but I would guess they wouldn't know what type of method is being used for the attack hence needing an end user to help.

• @stefeman said:

oh it was when we have protection plans by attack size. That's normal, if you pay 3 and use 20, you can't have it free.

Thank you for your clarification

• @matteob said:

@stefeman said:

oh it was when we have protection plans by attack size. That's normal, if you pay 3 and use 20, you can't have it free.

Thank you for your clarification

Wasent exactly like that.. xD but who cares at this point. That was ages ago.

Thanked by 1matteob
  • @uni13 said:
    If i bought ovh gameserver,

i what to do? Should I find more expensive hosting?
    (because i know ovh not support 'software' part.)

Oh my god!
    I change word
    attacked -> get ddos from attacker

• @Quinten said:
    Did you actually set the correct DDoS firewall preset? You have presets per game/application.

Excuse me. tell me where link or part?

• MikeA said: OVH should fix it themselves, but I would guess they wouldn't know what type of method is being used for the attack hence needing an end user to help.

This happened not because GMs of different game servers wont to be protected or lazy. This situation happened because people afraid OVH reaction by hosting some content which is 99% cases looks like illegal for OVH (but its not). Just simple example MMORPG servers, where server-side is fully legal (usually free open-source emulators) while client-side is "cracked/modified" pirate version of some very popular game. (wow, la2, and so on servers). And there is a rhetorical question -> how to server owner sent a request for help and what to say: "hey, I hosting La2 server, can you please fix something with your protection, here is pcap file". How will OVH react on this? And there are many situations like that, but again, technically such server owners do not violate any rules because they host open-source server-side projects which do not violate any rules or copyrights. People just confused and scared, that's why they are muted.

uni13 said: If i bought ovh gameserver, i attacked big ddos and my server repeat disconnect from user

I checking on regular basis OVH AntiDDoS Game protection, and it works very well and did not find any ways yet how possible to bypass it by using some service of thing which available in public for everyone. What does it mean for you? That means you need to make sure that you are really having a antiddos game, and you have enabled such protection. And yes, like people above said, please make sure that if your app using UDP such rules for your app ports added to filtering (you can manually add it in control panel or via api page). But usually, nothing really need to do, if you have a server with antiddos game.

• I've never had a problem with ovh game protection except packetloss before they switched to their new shield and armor vs tilera and arbor. Something is wrong with your setup

• @AlexJones said:
    I've never had a problem with ovh game protection except packetloss before they switched to their new shield and armor vs tilera and arbor. Something is wrong with your setup

Always fine your gameserver and online user When you get big ddos?

• I don't run a gameserver I run openvpn (udp) and I've never had a problem with any type of attack on permanent mitigation. Make sure your game is added to the l7 filter

• @AlexJones said:
    I don't run a gameserver I run openvpn (udp) and I've never had a problem with any type of attack on permanent mitigation. Make sure your game is added to the l7 filter

thanks reply but topic include gameserver..
    because always gameserver exist disconnect user problem when get ddos

• Make sure your game is on a profile and enable permanent mitigation. What game are you on?