Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to use VPS as Desktop?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to use VPS as Desktop?

Sure a VPS can not be EXACTLY a desktop because it is not "near" you.
But you have PROs, too: it will work 24h/day and it will have better internet speed than at your home.

So, my doubt is about to use a VPS as a DESKTOP using 2 O.S.:

1. Linux
    Choose one Linux Distro with GUI. Maybe Ubuntu like the best desktop option.

2. Windows
    Here I could see a problem. If you want to choose one Windows VPS you will need to pay at least $5 for 256Mb RAM, what is not much and your vps will be slow.

The second option is to get a KVM VPS with 1 or 2Gb and install your own license.
The problem is in what is "your own license" to VPS providers.
How can I install Windows if I will not use it as SERVER?
If I have a Win XP license, I imagine I can not install it in a VPS.
Maybe the best option could be install a TRIAL Windows Server (2003, 2008 or 2012).

In my case I prefer to use WINDOWS because I can install a few SEO softwares that I can not install in Linux.

Do you have experience in use VPS as a desktop?
What do you suggest me?

Tks!

Comments

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Maybe xrdp and vnc ?

1. Ubuntu is easy to setup as a remote desktop with atleast 256MB RAM. You can also configure to access it via remote desktop from windows machines.

2. Windows 2003 can run from 256MB RAM as well and providers such as BuyVM include that for free with all their KVM plans. There are also a few providers who allow you to run your windowsXP from a KVM VPS. I personally setup windows 2008 R2 as trial when i wanted a quick setup to test stuff.

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

I am using windows vps for downloading files.

I can access my vps Hdd in my local pc and also I use windows vps for running a android app, emulator, software testing, etc.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

xrdp works well, if you wish to connect using the rdp client. Just tested with a kvm 256 and ubuntu, works almost like a local desktop. Sure, you will need ram for other stuff, not only the desktop, if you start loading flash or other heavy items it will start crawling and abuse disk/cpu. I would recommend at least 512 MB for an usable desktop, for my typical usage with 3 browsers each with tens of tabs, 3 GB might be too little.

• c0yc0y Member

xrdp more or less destroys the idea of RDP as the overhead was really slow for me, but maybe I did something wrong?

I had Windows Server 2008 R2, 180 day trial on a NodeDeploy from @BradND - 200mbps actual speed, 3GB RAM, 4 shared cores came in really handy when I needed a temporary workstation.

It was in Germany, had only like 17ms latency and could even use Photoshop CS6 smoothly despite the fact that there was only like 16MB QEMU emulated video card (I think Photoshop uses CPU as render fallback)

• I have a couple of posts about this: http://blog.droidzone.in/?s=vnc

• I always used vnc but I'll give xrdp a try for sure :)

edited August 2013

rdp is leaner than vnc, so maybe you dd something wrong. remember to tweak it in regard to your connection, lower the colours to 16 bit, dont use mega resolutions, disable sound, use settings such as satellite to compensate heavily for latency, etc. With a bit of tweaking, even 256 MB KVM works well with default gnome install, at times you forget it is not your desktop.

• twaintwain Member
    edited August 2013

x2goserver works beautifully for a Linux desktop.

• @netomx said:
    Maybe xrdp and vnc ?

Do you know if it is possible to change resolution? Quality for my 1920x1080 reso is pretty good but it is to slow to use it.

• Why don't you consider TEAMVIEWER as an option to connect remotely to your VPS?
    Is there any block?

About RDP: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remote_Desktop_Protocol

I think teamviewer is MUCH better than VNC. Specially because you do not need any setup from the other computer (yours or a friend of you), just the numbers.
    Other advantage: if the other computer be in a firewall network, you will access it anyway because TeamViewer encrypt the data.

BUT my doubt is not about how to access the VPS, but what the best options to run Windows or Linux in a VPS with a good price.
    I can continue using my Desktop. I can continue leave it running all day but if I can do the same thing with a VPS, it would be much better.

Thank you all for your replies.

Didn't know teamviewer was for Linux

• Yes, it is.
    http://www.teamviewer.com/pt/download/linux.aspx

And MacOS, too + Mobiles.
    I use it in my Android.

Thanked by 1wrox

I also use phone/tablet, but i find that rdp is the leanest and most supported protocol if configured well.

• FritzFritz Veteran

I use vnc, tweak it, love it. :)

• Yes, but try to access it over a firewall network.

:)
    Teamviewer allows it.
    (maybe new versions of VNC allows it, too, but when I used it, it was not good).

• +1 for x2go

Works very well and easy to setup. My clients use it on 512meg VPS's without issue.

• @Maounique said:
    I also use phone/tablet, but i find that rdp is the leanest and most supported protocol if configured well.

Yeah rdp works great and easiest. Try explaining teamviewer and they will ask how do I rdp?

• I'm using ubuntu server @ kimsufi, a ready to use installation with x2go works really great.

Will try x2go tomorrow, too manby ppl saying that, i want to be popular XD

• @netomx said:
    Will try x2go tomorrow, too manby ppl saying that, i want to be popular XD

hahahah
    What about more LIKES on your FB posts?
    :)

No luck :c

• DragonDFDragonDF Member
    edited October 2013

Guys!
    I'd like your suggestion.
    I took a 256Mb offer (yearly one) from @BlueVm and I'd like to use it for test purposes.

As this thread showed it is possible to use Remote Desktop with 256Mb, I'd like to test it.

peppr said: Ubuntu is easy to setup as a remote desktop with atleast 256MB RAM. You can also configure to access it via remote desktop from windows machines.

There are a few options of templates of Ubuntu.

What do you suggest me to use?
    Please, remember that I want to use it as a Desktop (GUI).

Options:

http://imageshack.us/scaled/landing/585/xilv.jpg

• ricardoricardo Member
    edited October 2013

I use Xvfb, fluxbox and x11vnc on the server side. works fine. wiki has some short examples and a description. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xvfb

• What about the template options? What O.S. ?
    Ubuntu has a few options that I do not know the difference when you use with 256Mb.

Is the newer version better (clean) than old ones? Or not?

• BlueVMBlueVM Member
    edited October 2013

@DragonDF I'd normally go with the 12.04

Thanked by 1DragonDF
  • just install windows server 2008 and you can use it for 180days :)

• Except he has an OpenVZ VPS. So no windows. We used to have a tutorial for how to set up a desktop on your VPS, but it was wiped out when we had a little spambot infestation on the Wiki Server. Damned spambots.

• BrianHarrisonBrianHarrison Member, Patron Provider

@Magiobiwan said:
    Except he has an OpenVZ VPS. So no windows. We used to have a tutorial for how to set up a desktop on your VPS, but it was wiped out when we had a little spambot infestation on the Wiki Server. Damned spambots.

Cached on archive.org perhaps?

• @Maounique said:
    xrdp works well, if you wish to connect using the rdp client. Just tested with a kvm 256 and ubuntu, works almost like a local desktop. Sure, you will need ram for other stuff, not only the desktop, if you start loading flash or other heavy items it will start crawling and abuse disk/cpu. I would recommend at least 512 MB for an usable desktop, for my typical usage with 3 browsers each with tens of tabs, 3 GB might be too little.

Which desktop environment did you install on Ubuntu?