Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

virmach is asking $10 admin fee to downgrade disk space
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

virmach is asking $10 admin fee to downgrade disk space

have a windows VPS with virmach and paying for extra storage space.

Just trying to understand if I am the only one who feels that admin fee to downgrade the disk space on a windows VPS is normal because they have to alter the LVM

below is the ticket reply;

We could downgrade the disk but it would cost $10 of system admin time (15 minutes) as to do the downgrade we need to manually resize the LVM.

Please do let us know if you'd like this invoiced and completed. We'd also need a working admin password to the VM to do this.

Syed A.

Sr. Sys Admin & Support Agent

Comments

• Its fucking unmanaged server. Why you no do it yourself for free?

• asterisk14asterisk14 Member
    edited September 2017

virmach is the ryanair of the vps hosting industry LOL, they even charge for vps account transfers.

Thanked by 1thistle
  • if you can't do it yourself then that is a good price for a system admin time.

BTW, Mr. Syed is a skilled person he was handling my tickets professionally so i recommend him and if you have other items you should ask him in advance.

Thanked by 3vimalware Pwner ucxo
  • @asterisk14, do you have services with virmach? they are top providers and since they have a large number of clients handling those things will occupy supports time and will not be a top provider anymore... +10 for virmach.

• @asterisk14 said:
    virmach is the ryanair of the vps hosting industry LOL, they even charge for vps account transfers.

You are right, totally uncool to charge for something outside the contract you signed and that requires employee time. How could they do that, right?!

People these days.

Thanked by 1WSS
  • @JabJab said:

@asterisk14 said:

You are right, totally uncool to charge for something outside the contract you signed and that requires employee time. How could they do that, right?!

People these days.

Not sure if it is in contract

Will check

• @budi1413 said:
    Its fucking unmanaged server. Why you no do it yourself for free?

I would appreciate a hint on how to do it.

Thanks

• @syd, if you need the current env, then best to pay otherwise just shut down the vps and cancel the extrat storage and install windows again with ticket?

• Seems reasonable, an unmanaged service is exactly that, $10 for admin time to downgrade disk space is fairly reasonable.

• @ehab said:
    @syd, if you need the current env, then best to pay otherwise just shut down the vps and cancel the extrat storage and install windows again with ticket?

This. I would ask for a re-install instead

• @ehab said:
    @asterisk14, do you have services with virmach? they are top providers and since they have a large number of clients handling those things will occupy supports time and will not be a top provider anymore... +10 for virmach.

They are average providers with very average nodes hardware-wise, the special deals nodes are stuffed badly resulting in bad I/O. The support reply time is good though.

• cpsdcpsd Member
    edited September 2017

In my case, I decided to pay several invoices of a couple services at the same time and I had to pay also an administrative fee to put everything together :P. But their service is great :).

• cancel the server, and order the new one?

• ArchArch Member
    edited September 2017

I can't speak on Virmach; never used them. But I don't think that's a completely unreasonable fee. Like, there's been worse fees providers have given out on this forum. And if they end up messing up your data, I'm sure you'd hold them liable to that - there's definitely some risk involved with downsizing a VM and especially as an unmanaged service I think this could be expected.

• @mehargags said:
    They are average providers with very average nodes hardware-wise, the special deals nodes are stuffed badly resulting in bad I/O. The support reply time is good though.

i was speaking considering LET standards i have seen.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited September 2017

syd said: Just trying to understand if I am the only one who feels that admin fee to downgrade the disk space on a windows VPS is normal because they have to alter the LVM

I am sure you are not the only one, but I do think its fair to charge for additional work yes, do you often go to work and tell your boss not to bother paying you?

FYI, My own response to a downgrade (KVM) would be to ask customers to take a backup of their data, shrink the partition, make sure all data is at the start of the partition and make them aware I am not guaranteeing data integrity once it is complete.

That I would do for free as its only about a minute of actual work, so I suppose it depends on what your downgrade expectations were.

Thanked by 3Aidan Pwner ucxo
  • HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

Probably cheaper to just re-purchase the service and migrate your data. VirMach already runs on pretty thin margins, so them doing free work to help you reduce your bill doesn't really add up.

Thanked by 2ehab WSS
  • syd said: I would appreciate a hint on how to do it.

^^ That's why you need to pay.

• Tell him hes kidding himself

• I don't think this is right.

$10 for an intervention is far too little, price should be upped.

• I'd just try to resize the disk as small as possible and let them update the disk space and expand it back if I still have free space. That probably avoids the $10, and would solve your problem, but just in case, backup before doing so...

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited September 2017

I find that perfectly acceptable, to be honest! Okay, I had providers do that as a courtesy for me, but I also pay them higher prices than you do with Virmach. So, from my point of view, nothing wrong with it.

If you use google with "manually resize LVM [enter your OS here]", then you will find plenty of good explanations. It is indeed a bit of work for someone who never did it before. It is really depending on how you value your own time, but I would certainly pay USD 10,- for it and go out with the dog instead.

• @syd you are looking for an unmanaged vps to give you services of a managed vps. If you don't want to pay for the $10 and feel like this should be provided to you, then I suggest you go for someone like knownhost.com. They are a lot more expensive than virmach but you will get a request such as yours free, since it is included on the package.

Thanked by 1ChrisMiller
  • RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran
    edited September 2017

From what I understand Virmach is asking the guy money to manually downgrade his plan's disk(speaking of LVM, its probably a KVM) correct? Or is that a partition inside his VPS?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@Amitz said:
    go out with the dog instead.

You deserve a more attractive girlfriend.

• VirMach is being maligned because dude wants to pay them even LESS. OK, that makes perfect sense!

VirMach usually has a checkbox that you have to agree to that they are not only unmaintained, but they will only provide basic networking. Everything else is up to you to handle yourself. Charging $10 for this isn't out of order. Pretty much everything is $3, $5, or $10 to handle, and you're still getting a service at a cut-rate of standard LET hosts. If you don't like that, pay more up front for a managed service.

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited September 2017

raindog308 said: You deserve a more attractive girlfriend.

Mama says I should stick with the dog. Less trouble and you can shoot him no questions asked in case he's bitching around. Mama says she's sick of disposing women who are unsuitable for me. And Mama said that all women I brought home over the years were unsuitable for me. Our garden is already full of mounds. Poor Mama, so much work.

• @Amitz said:
    Our garden is already full of mounds. Poor Mama.

Is it getting HOT in here?

• DamianDamian Member
    edited September 2017

WSS said: Is it getting HOT in here?

• Sounds like lots of people above have no idea about what OP's talking about.

Virmach is asking $10 admin fee to shrink the LVM size on the host server for the customer. It's not something you can do on your own.

IMHO the $10 fee is justified, and those who asked OP to do it on his own sounds weird. How? Hacking into the host server and play around with the LVM?