Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LEB OS - 32Bit or 64Bit?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LEB OS - 32Bit or 64Bit?

Hello,

Just as the subject. For LEB VPS which RAM bellow 4GB, what architecture you would like to use for the OS? 32Bit or 64Bit and why?

Thanks...

Comments

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

At the really low ram (<256MB) it can make sense to save a bit on smaller pointers, for some applications anyway.

I would always recommend that you use 64bit in other situations for better performance and better compatibility with the host node.

• @SplitIce - Thank for the information... so 64Bit is prefered even on low ram server.

• wychwych Member

Anything <512mb I use 32bit, >512mb I use 64-bit.

• JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited August 2013

Less than 4GB RAM 32bit addressing, more than 4GB RAM 64bit addressing.

Thanked by 1nfn
  • johnlth93johnlth93 Member
    edited August 2013

Last time i would use 32bit for any device < 4GB

But now, for servers/leb i would only use 64bit even when it's 128mb vps

It just my thing =)

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

on an ovz, it doesnt really matter as only userspace is 32, the kernel is 64 so... You can use 32 over 4 GB anyway.
    32 have the advantage of less used storage space, normally, even on OVZ, in 1-2 GB total, it matters, so, on OVZ go with 64 unless very low in disk size.
    For Xen/KVM, though, the 64 kernel is larger and takes more memory, besides the space used for files, it also does not matter much the compatibility with the host kernel, so go for 32 unless you need some specific 64 bit only application, beyond 1-2 GB, though and 5+ GB disk, the difference will be small enough not to matter, so, whatever you like more or your app likes more.