Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The best way to unattended update the OS.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

The best way to unattended update the OS.

I have a few VPS with CentOS, Debian, Ubuntu.
What a best way to unattended update the OS you are using, or you can recommend?

Comments

• Just login from time to time and update. Unattended is risky, could break something.

Thanked by 1tux
  • @rds100 said:
    Just login from time to time and update. Unattended is risky, could break something.

If 1-2 VPS is good. But more than 10? Every time login and check - it's uncomfortable and time consuming.

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2013

run it as a cron ? yum update once a week/month ?

• DroidzoneDroidzone Member
    edited August 2013

apt-get upgrade -y && apt-get dist-upgrade -y for Debian based OSes.

as a cron job. I wouldnt do it though. I don't have a need to be update.

• package update is still okay if you're using Debian(without the testing repo) but beware with OS upgrades, there's once when I did an dist-upgrade on my Debian 7 at Ramnode and it removed upstart and there goes my box...........

• tuxtux Member

@wcypierre said:
    package update is still okay if you're using Debian(without the testing repo) but beware with OS upgrades, there's once when I did an dist-upgrade on my Debian 7 at Ramnode and it removed upstart and there goes my box...........

upstart and debian? Can you explain this?

• wcypierrewcypierre Member
    edited August 2013

This is a bug in Debian 7

Not reported by me, but the problem is the same: https://bugzilla.openvz.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2647
    http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=525141

@tux said:
    upstart and debian? Can you explain this?

• tuxtux Member

Upstart and debian sounds like Ubuntu. I don't have upstart installed on my debian boxes.

• You can install apticron on your debian servers and yumupdatesd on your centos servers.
    This way you'll get notifications whenever updates are needed.

This is what I use.

• @camarg said:
    You can install apticron on your debian servers and yumupdatesd on your centos servers.
    This way you'll get notifications whenever updates are needed.

This is what I use.

Didn't know for Debian, thanks :)

• and you're using Debian 7 as well? Probably its only on the SolusVM template provided by Ramnode as I use Xubuntu on my daily life so I'm particularly sure about it.

@tux said:
    Upstart and debian sounds like Ubuntu. I don't have upstart installed on my debian boxes.

• If you're running multiple production servers, I'd suggest you standardize on a distro.

From a sysadmin perspective, 3 Debian 6 boxes (for example) are easier to maintain than three boxes that span different distros and versions.

• smansman Member

This is for Centos 5. Not sure if it's the same for 6.
    http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/yum/sn-updating-your-system.html

• Use Chef, Puppet, or something similar. If you do it right, you can perform updates with one recipe (chef term) across many different OSs.
    -J

• smansman Member

@joshin said:
    Use Chef, Puppet, or something similar. If you do it right, you can perform updates with one recipe (chef term) across many different OSs.
    -J

Using chef or puppet just to do updates would be unbelievably massive overkill.

Of course if you are already using it then automatic updates are already baked in.