Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Issues with a PPTP VPN and CSF
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Issues with a PPTP VPN and CSF

I recently got a PPTP VPN up and running on my VPS, and if I disable my firewall it works great. However, I use CSF for my firewall, and if I enable it my VPN doesn't work quite right. Specifically, I can still connect to the VPN, and from there I can access my server, but nowhere else (can't get anywhere else on the Internet).

I've done a lot of searching about how to get CSF and PPTP to work together, and nearly everyone says to create a file, /etc/csf/csfpre.sh, with the following contents:

iptables -A INPUT -i eth0 -p tcp --dport 1723 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -i eth0 -p gre -j ACCEPT
iptables -A OUTPUT -p gre -j ACCEPT
#iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s 10.84.1.0/24 -j SNAT --to-source ww.xx.yy.zz
iptables -A FORWARD -i ppp0 -o eth0 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A FORWARD -i eth0 -o ppp0 -j ACCEPT

(Well, they say to use the MASQUERADE line, which I commented out and replaced with the SNAT line since MASQUERADE isn't supported on my VPS. And of course I replace ww.xx.yy.zz with my server's public IP address.)

There's also /etc/csf/csfpost.sh, with the following:

service pptpd stop
service pptpd start

But I can't find any other suggestions. Again, my pptpd config seems to work fine, but the firewall is interfering. Any ideas on how to tweak it to get things working?

Thanks!

Comments

• This is OpenVZ VPS, right? (seeing that you need to use SNAT instead of MASQ).
    If so, the interface should be venet0, not eth0

• That did it, thanks! (And yeah, OpenVZ.)

For anyone else, this was my final /etc/csf/csfpre.sh (again, replacing ww.xx.yy.zz with my public IP):

iptables -A INPUT -i venet0 -p tcp --dport 1723 -j ACCEPT
    iptables -A INPUT -i venet0 -p gre -j ACCEPT
    iptables -A OUTPUT -p gre -j ACCEPT
    #iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE
    iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s 10.84.1.0/24 -j SNAT --to-source ww.xx.yy.zz
    iptables -A FORWARD -i ppp+ -o venet0 -j ACCEPT
    iptables -A FORWARD -i venet0 -o ppp+ -j ACCEPT