Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone using Freepik or Flaticon paid plans? Having trouble understanding the license
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone using Freepik or Flaticon paid plans? Having trouble understanding the license

YmpkerYmpker Member
edited September 2017 in General

I'm having a bit of a struggle to fully grasp the meaning of the allowed usage for commercial projects: https://support.freepik.com/hc/en-us/articles/208978605-How-can-I-use-Freepik-s-resources-for-commercial-purposes-

upon contacting them their support replied with linking the article above which I obviously already knew and acctually asked questions to.

So in the article it says:

You are allowed to use our images as the main element of the end product if you are working for one specific client. You will not be allowed to use this designs (flyers, posters....) as main elements if you are selling them to multiple clients though this will be considered as a redistribution of our resources.

One example of this usage is if you are a freelance designer and a client has ordered you to design for him a business card, you may download the business card from Freepik's offer and deliver to your client the printed product a PNG/PDF file of the card, but never an editable file which includes our resources.

Now,
"You are allowed to use our images as the main element of the end product if you are working for one specific client."

Implies that I CAN use their images as the main element to create a website for a client and give it to him.

BUT then again it says never to deliver an editable file:

"never an editable file which includes our resources."

However if Im gonna hand my client the finished website it obviously will include images from Freepik/Flaticon and technically even .png is editable, right?

I figure that selling a finished site template to more people (e.g. on themeforest) is nearly impossible if using the images as the main element but it should be possible to a single client, eh?

Of course at most times (not always though as they have some nice business card templates) I plan to add some own design and using their images as secondary element of the design is allowed but their ToS states smth like "when in doubt the item is considered to be primary element" which nullifies any chance to use it that way.

Comments

• @jetchirag Given you are a freelancer webdev aswell, do you know anything about this?

• The example they’ve given you seems fairly clear; if you’re not allowed to provide an editable file, then you can’t use it for a website.

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited September 2017

@Nekki said:
    The example they’ve given you seems fairly clear; if you’re not allowed to provide an editable file, then you can’t use it for a website.

If it is to be understood that way I wonder how many % of their images are acctually being used for websites.

Well seems like I can only use it for personal sites or commercial ones which are managed, implying where I host the website so the actual files never are distributed to the customer. Guess I will stick to the free license then and do the backlinking as required^^

https://profile.flaticon.com/license/free

Oddly enough usage for websites is allowed there. Even for commercial usage.

• @Ympker said:

Oddly enough usage for websites is allowed there. Even for commercial usage.

Probably because of the type of images (icons) on that site.

• Mentioning the source in a courteous way as a caption to the image would ease you out on any copyright issues for most of the providers. That said, using the artwork in prints is certainly void of free usage policy and you have to buy its usage rights.

• @mehargags said:
    Mentioning the source in a courteous way as a caption to the image would ease you out on any copyright issues for most of the providers. That said, using the artwork in prints is certainly void of free usage policy and you have to buy its usage rights.

Not gonna sell any prints. Of course with attribution it is mostly okay. My only reason to go for paid was to make use of the "attribution free" usage, which comes along with that.

https://support.freepik.com/hc/en-us/articles/115004361585-When-do-I-need-to-provide-attribution-to-the-author-

Are you are a premium member?
    You do not need to give attribution to the author when using Freepik resources, be it for your personal or commercial purposes.

Are you a free user?
    You must provide attribution to the author when using the resources, be it for your personal or commercial purposes.

• Yes I guess... the royalty to the content author (creator) is not a question when you have paid to Freepik. And if you do buy the membership you don't need to credit Freepik either ;)

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @Ympker said:
    @jetchirag Given you are a freelancer webdev aswell, do you know anything about this?

I figure that selling a finished site template to more people (e.g. on themeforest) is nearly impossible if using the images as the main element but it should be possible to a single client

Like when you are creating a single website (its technically your site) you can use them but when you put the source code or commercial sell purpose and sell it to others, you are also selling their images which isn't allowed. If you put the theme for example on theme forest, you can use icons in preview but not in downloadable files.

Anyways their license are mostly confusing but I haven't faced any issues till now by following above text.

What they mean by

One example of this usage is if you are a freelance designer and a client has ordered you to design for him a business card, you may download the business card from Freepik's offer and deliver to your client the printed product a PNG/PDF file of the card, but never an editable file which includes our resources.

Is confusing sometimes as well but most I can interpret is you can forward him rendered file and not source.

For them the editable is not png but ai or eps file which can be directly edited. Which means you can put the png or the format on website without giving attribution if you are premium member.

Sorry for errors, typed on mobile

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @jetchirag said:

@Ympker said:
    @jetchirag Given you are a freelancer webdev aswell, do you know anything about this?

I figure that selling a finished site template to more people (e.g. on themeforest) is nearly impossible if using the images as the main element but it should be possible to a single client

Like when you are creating a single website (its technically your site) you can use them but when you put the source code or commercial sell purpose and sell it to others, you are also selling their images which isn't allowed. If you put the theme for example on theme forest, you can use icons in preview but not in downloadable files.

Anyways their license are mostly confusing but I haven't faced any issues till now by following above text.

What they mean by

Is confusing sometimes as well but most I can interpret is you can forward him rendered file and not source.

For them the editable is not png but ai or eps file which can be directly edited. Which means you can put the png or the format on website without giving attribution if you are premium member.

Sorry for errors, typed on mobile

Thanks mate :) So I take it you are happily using them? I guess I will just create the websites preview with their images then and upon selling the website include a .txt with links to all images on their site which I used in the preview so they can decide themselves whether to add them with content attribution or go premium for 10$ dl all the images and cancel the subscription (as you retain the rights).

• Exactly :D

You might wanna mention that before because sometimes it results the customer being sad because website isn't displaying as it should have been and he need to spend more money. It's not necessary but a choice of yours.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited September 2017

@jetchirag said:
    Exactly :D

You might wanna mention that before because sometimes it results the customer being sad because website isn't displaying as it should have been and he need to spend more money. It's not necessary but a choice of yours.

I will do that :P + if not for premium only resources there is no extra price but attribution the customer needs to pay :)
    Thanks for your help!

Thanked by 1jetchirag