Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hosted Exchange
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hosted Exchange

NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

I was wondering if any of the providers here are providing Hosted Exchange at reasonable prices.

I am currently in the process of moving my email out of Google and I need ActiveSync for my contacts and a decent webmail interface, so ActiveSync looks like a decent fit.

I tried Zoho (ActiveSync not working properly), EuMX (ActiveSync only available with Horde, Horde is painfully slow with my volume of emails) and PolarisMail (poor ActiveSync implementation too).

If you know alternatives to Exchange besides the ones listed bellow, feel free to suggest them too. I am not interested in using Office 365 at the moment.

Comments

• dnwkdnwk Member
    edited August 2013

I am using Zarafa plus Z-push. It has full features, pop3, imap, Outlook link, activesync with z-push and calendar. It sync with my cellphone without a problem. I am running on it for my own email right now. The community edition is free and pretty good.

• dnwkdnwk Member
    edited August 2013

The downside, you probably need a server with good CPU. They put everything in a MySQL database. I am using Zadmin. It comes with an ISO with Ubuntu. Everything is setup in that ISO, including spam/antivirus filter.

• The free hosted email from Live/Outlook supports ActiveSync, although it doesn't do IMAP.

http://www.domains.live.com/

• dnwkdnwk Member
    edited August 2013

{deleted}

• skaska Member

@amhoab said:
    The free hosted email from Live/Outlook supports ActiveSync, although it doesn't do IMAP.

Why do you want IMAP when you have ActiveSync?

• @ska said:
    Why do you want IMAP when you have ActiveSync?

ActiveSync is for mobile devices, but if you want a thick desktop client, IMAP is the protocol of choice. Live/Outlook supports POP3, but I'd stay away from that.

If you just need ActiveSync and do web-based email on the desktop, the free service should do.

• One of my clients uses Rackspace for their hosted Exchange. Works quite well, as far as we can see. And it saves me managing a windows server cluster: http://www.rackspace.com/email-hosting/hosted-exchange/ - They have an earlier deal for $7/mailbox/month, but with 25 employees that is doable for them.

• skaska Member

@amhoab said:
    ActiveSync is for mobile devices, but if you want a thick desktop client, IMAP is the protocol of choice.

No? Have you ever heard of the exchange active sync protocol? IMAP is just for syncing mail. Active sync protocol is by far more.

• To quote from that link:

Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync (commonly known as EAS) is a protocol designed for the synchronization of email, contacts, calendar, tasks, and notes from a messaging server to a smartphone or other mobile device.

• dnwkdnwk Member
    edited August 2013

@ska said:
    No? Have you ever heard of the exchange active sync protocol? IMAP is just for syncing mail. Active sync protocol is by far more.

Activesync can to a lot more. But sadly, there are no open source alternative. There were a SyncML protocol out there. But no real useable product. It is not difficult to do. But not sure why nobody take up that project. So that we don't need to pay Microsoft licensing fee for using it. Not sure why Z-push can use Activesync without a fee.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

@dnwk I didn't know about Z-Admin, it looks interesting and I will take a look.

@amhoab I am not interested on any Microsoft-hosted product, but thank you anyway :)

@Raymii Rackspace is out of my list for now, since this is only for my personal email accounts (no need to pay for five users).

@ska ActiveSync is good, but IMAP support is a must for me too. I want to use desktop clients and I want to backup my mail easily too.

• dnwkdnwk Member
    edited August 2013

Z-Admin https://community.zarafa.com/pg/plugins/project/672

My mistake. It is not a ISO. It is a repo. With Ubuntu or Centos.

• skaska Member

@amhoab said:
    To quote from that link:

I guess you've never uses MS Outlook before?

@Nyr said:
    ActiveSync is good, but IMAP support is a must for me too. I want to use desktop clients and I want to backup my mail easily too.

No Problem. Windows Live Mail and Outlook work perfectly. And for backups you can use Mailstore home.

@ska said:
    No Problem. Windows Live Mail and Outlook work perfectly. And for backups you can use Mailstore home.

I am not a Windows user ;)

• skaska Member
    edited August 2013

@Nyr said:
    I am not a Windows user ;)

No problem, if you use OS X, Mail.app supports that. On Linux you can use Evolution. Furthermore, MS exchange server supports SMTP, and IMAP4. ;-)

• dnwkdnwk Member
    edited August 2013

@ska said:

I think OP is trying to avoid any US providers for ***** reason

@dnwk I would prefer an European provider, but am not closed to US ones. Simply, email is not one thing I want to trust to a no-personal-support-available Microsoft solution.

• dnwkdnwk Member
    edited August 2013

@Nyr said:
    dnwk I would prefer an European provider, but am not closed to US ones. Simply, email is not one thing I want to trust to a no-personal-support-available Microsoft solution.

Run your own server with encryption. Then good. That's what I am doing.

• Namecheap has Open-Xchange email services for pretty good prices. I have a couple of $2.99/yr accounts (on a free one-year trial), and it's pretty good. Although I can't comment on the push/phone sync as the cheapy $2.99/yr plan doesn't include sync. I believe you have to go to the $18/yr plan to get that.

@dnwk that's probably what I will end up doing.

@twain I didn't know about that, I will take a look, although I don't really love Namecheap.

• Zimbra?

Thanked by 1Nyr

@doughmanes I preferred a hosted solution, but thank you anyway :)

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2013

I am using Zimbra too, bit of a CPU hog and is incompatible with OpenVZ however. From my experience it has the closest experience to Exchange.

@SplitIce thanks for the recommendation :)

• I use constant for my e-mail hosting, they use zimbra
    http://www.constant.com/cloud/email_apps/

$3.50/m for Exchange E-Mail or $1.50/m for regular

@Spencer they require to buy at least 10 accounts, but thank you :)

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@Nyr maybe @necs might be able to do you a deal http://www.necs.co.uk/hosted-exchange/